Patient in New York City Tests Positive for Ebola

A doctor in New York City who recently returned from treating Ebola patients in Guinea tested positive for the Ebola virus Thursday, becoming the city’s first diagnosed case.

The doctor, Craig Spencer, was rushed to Bellevue Hospital on Thursday and placed in isolation while health care workers spread out across the city to trace anyone he might have come into contact with in recent days. A further test will be conducted by the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to confirm the initial test.

While officials have said they expected isolated cases of the disease to arrive in New York eventually, and had been preparing for this moment for months, the first case highlighted the challenges surrounding containment of the virus, especially in a crowded metropolis.

nytimes.com/2014/10/24/nyregion/craig-spencer-is-tested-for-ebola-virus-at-bellevue-hospital-in-new-york-city.html?_r=0

Ebola is extremely unlikely to spread through public transit for several reasons. nyti.ms/1rGMzF8

Even as the authorities worked to confirm that Mr. Spencer was infected with Ebola, it emerged that he traveled from Manhattan to Brooklyn on the subway on Wednesday night, when he went to a bowling alley, and then took a taxi home.

What about bowling balls?

If it were me returning from West Africa, I would quarantine myself and pray day and night for God’s Mercy a good month or more. :twocents:

The patient with ebola is a doctor.
Shouldn’t he know better than to go bowling and such?
Did not he see the devastation caused by this virus first hand?
If some doctors don’t know better then I think we are all in trouble.

Remembering how Dr. Nancy Snyderman breached her quarantine earlier this month as she was spotted in a Mercedes at a restaurant. Today she is free and clear of quarantine.

I am wondering who will pay for the losses incurred at the bowling alley? Who will want to go there for a game in the next month? Does insurance cover losses like that?

Will there be legal ramifications for careless knowledgable individuals at risk any time soon?

My understanding of the disease and I’m sure they will be saying it on TV, is, how do we say it,

It sounds like one has to be displaying symptoms to be contagious.

Anyone can correct me on this and maybe it would need to only be as small as having flu-like symptoms, ailing joints, a high fever.

I know where you are leading this.

The doctor had no classic symptoms until today.
He checked himself right into a hospital.

The thing is that in life we learn to expect anomalies
and because this virus is relatively new
and uncharted over a long period of time in a large population
people are going to expect just about anything to happen

Here’s hoping that they nip this in the bud before it spreads to the general population.

I was just saying my understanding. Possibly he had no symptoms when he went bowling last night; however, I understand he used the subway hours before he went in and got tested. So we do have that.

Thanks for the link.

Hi Gilliam.

There are so many threads on Ebola. Do you think we can all keep posting the new developments under the main thread? Would be nice to have everyones input all in one place seeing as the new articles are just being placed here anyway:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=912236&page=43

This is an entire new case and I think it deserves its own thread.
Am I the only one who thinks this doctor has been very irresponsible?

He should have quarantined himself before he left west africa or after he arrived. We have to hope he is being truthful when he said he had no symptoms until he woke up this morning.
How many ways can I travel around new york city and infect people seems to be what he was thinking. I thought the nurse who got on the plane was stupid but this doctor is more stupid! These are medical professionals. What are they thinking?!!!

Although Ebola is being called highly infectious; it’s not highly contagious. However, I think that it would have been wise for this doctor to self quarantine and not traipse around the city knowing that he had potential exposure.

Exactly! He did a lot of traipsing! :thumbsup:

Yes
And
These are questions many are asking today.
And
we will continue to ask until the long arm of the law makes some changes.

Doctors without Borders publish returning staff protocol, Dr. Craig Spencer becomes the 9th Ebola patient treated in US

outbreaknewstoday.com/doctors-without-borders-publish-returning-staff-protocol-dr-craig-spencer-becomes-the-9th-ebola-patient-treated-in-us-35727/

doctorswithoutborders.org/article/msf-protocols-staff-returning-ebola-affected-countries

New protocol for Doctors without Borders posted October 23, 2014

New York and New Jersey will quarantine on arrival at the area’s airports anyone who had direct contact with Ebola patients, Governors Andrew Cuomo and Chris Christie said.

The new policy in New Jersey and New York goes beyond guidelines from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the governors said today at a news briefing at the World Trade Center complex in Manhattan.** Under the changes, quarantines for high-risk travelers from any of the three West African nations most affected by the Ebola outbreak would last 21 days**.

bloomberg.com/news/2014-10-24/n-y-n-j-order-quarantines-for-travelers-with-ebola-contact.html

Going above and beyond CDC

Not really a fan of either one of them, but hats off to them on this one.

But, it still leaves the question of what about non-medical people coming into the country from Ebola strickent countries? Unless I’m missing something, this is going to be really easy to circumvent.

The problem won’t be circumvention. In the future, as the virus spreads to multiple areas, it will be next to impossible contain at any airport or border.

NY and NJ are putting a one -size -fits -all bandage on a big, messy, bloody problem that will eventually need greater attention.

The hope is that a vaccine is found and used asap.

Cuomo and Christie get E for Effort.

Lights of hope
Portraits of ebola survivors
cnn.com/2014/10/17/world/gallery/john-moore-ebola-survivor-portraits/index.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.