Patients violated, doctors rehabilitated

Atlanta Journal-Constitution:

Patients violated, doctors rehabilitated

After medical regulators said he fondled patients, exposed himself and traded drugs for sex, Dr. David Pavlakovic easily could have lost his license. Law enforcement thought his acts were criminal. Instead of losing his job, Pavlakovic was placed in therapy. He was allowed to return to practice. And he didn’t even have to tell his patients.
The way Alabama handled Pavlakovic’s case reflects a growing trend across the nation: Medical regulators are viewing sexual misconduct by doctors as the symptom of an impairment rather than cause for punishment. Doctors who abuse, regulators and therapists say, can be evaluated and managed — sometimes with as little as a three-day course on appropriate doctor-patient “boundaries,” other times with inpatient mental health treatment that may include yoga and massage.

Society has become intolerant of most sex offenders,  placing some on lifelong public registries and banishing others from  their professions or volunteer activities. But medical regulators have  embraced the idea of rehabilitation for physicians accused of sexual  misconduct, a [national investigation by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution found]("http://doctors.ajc.com/table_of_contents/?ecmp=doctorssexabuse_microsite_nav"). 
  		 Increasingly, it is left to private therapists, rather  than police investigators, to unearth the extent of a doctor’s  transgressions. There is little pretense of the check and balance of  public scrutiny. Instead, some in the medical profession have  discouraged public input, concerned it could trigger outrage that  disrupts important work. 
  		 Even doctors with egregious violations are allowed to  redeem themselves through education and treatment centers, which have  quietly proliferated over the past two decades. 

:mad:

I had a family member who had her surgery botched by a doctor who was high.

He was forced by the hospital to go to addiction treatment and other than that, had no real penalties for what he did. His license was never revoked nor was he formally reprimanded by the state or hospital.

In fact, he is now one of the leading surgeons in this area and I see his commercial on TV pretty often.

This family member suffered for years because of his botched surgery and ended up having to have a second surgery to correct the mistakes done by the high doctor. When she went to sue, she was told by lawyers that the statute of limitations had expired and that she could have no legal recourse. :mad:

This theory was similar to people abusing children in there care ,
THAT , didn’t end well, so I see little difference with a Doctors actions

This sure sounds familiar.

I don’t believe sex offenders can be rehabilitated. He should never be able to practice again and should have to register as a sex offender for the rest of his life.

My thought exactly. I was in nursing school in the 80’s when they send pedophiles for “treatment.” It took years for it to become obvious the “treatment” did not work.

Doctors should lose their license for misconduct. It sounds like these treatment centers have sprung up as a way out for doctors to avoid legal prosecution.

Mary.

Others have been hinting at this, but I’m going to say it right out: Isn’t this EXACTLY what the Church was excoriated for doing?

I agree that the Church was wrong, but at least many had the excuse that they genuinely believed this would work. Does anyone still believe that?

–Jen

It doesn’t happen in the UK. A doctor like that would be struck off and probably imprisoned.

It happens in my country too.
Whenever doctors do sexual abuse they are “disciplined” and sometimes have to work under the supervision of another doctor for a few years-but they rarely lose their license to practise and usually after a couple of years all their restrictions are removed.
And the “catch” is that patients go unaware of all of this.
They can at any time attend a medical practice and see a doctor and be completely ignorant of the fact that the doctor has done previous sexual assaults.
Nobody tells the patients-not the practice managers or the doctors governing bodies.
I think this is wrong, and to me the problem is that it is often other doctors doing the disciplining of those doctors.
Instead,it should be independent organisations who decide/discipline what actions should be taken against them-that way there can be no possibility of bias (Ie:doctors having each others backs even if they are doing it subconsciously).

I never had a weird doc, but I was once getting a sports related massage for a sore back, and in conversation with the male therapist mentioned I knew people who had sciatic pain because of a tight performis muscle. He said, “Ah yes the periformis muscle,” and reached and squeezed mine. For those who don’t know, it is located on the derriere’. I have not been back. I get that massage can include such muscles but since mine did not, it was inappropriate.

So are they just born this way, is it some kind of mental disorder, like the transgender thing, or…?

Has anyone looked into what makes a person have this problem in the first place, things that contribute to it, etc?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.