Patriarchal seats?

What are the seats of the Eastern Catholic and Orthodox Patriarchs and Major Archbishops?

I know that the Church of Saint George in Istambul is the seat of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, but no more.

Major Archbishop Mar George Alencherry’s seat is, St.Mary’s Basilica of the Archdiocese of Ernakulam-Angamaly.

Slightly off-topic, but is the altar there now ad-orientem? It’s hard to tell from the photo, but Ernakulum is known for being very heavily latinized while Mar George is from Chanangasserry which is known for being quite the opposite. From what I’ve heard, (and please correct me if I’m mistaken), Mar Geroge even insisted on ad-orientem during his visit to the US which, it seems, was well received by other than the local bishop and some clergy.

Also, if you don’t mind, can you confirm that the table-like thing below the sanctuary steps is supposed to be the pseudo-bema?

One thing you need to know about Mar George Metran is that he is Pro-Syriac. After his enthronement to Major Archbishop many Syriac customs were restored to the Syro Malabar Church. To answer your question, don’t quote me on this but I think in the current status, most Syro Malabar Churches use a mix of Ad Orientem and Versus Populum. The liturgy of the word is celebrated at the small table in (versus populum) than the priest turns and heads up the stairs to the Madbaha. The rest of the Holy Qurbana (ad orientem) until the final blessing is celebrated in the Madbaha. Then to celebrate the final blessing (versus populum) the priest turns, heads back down the stairs, to the small table.

That small table is the only part outside of the Madbaha. I cant confirm but yes I believe it is the current Syro Malabar version of the Bema.

Catholic:

A See is a different than the proper Eparchy of the hierarch.

A Catholic Patriarch (and Major Archbishop) of an eastern Catholic Church has a very specific definition of the office per the Catholic Church, it is not an honorary title as in the Latin Church. They are:

HBE Patriarch Cardinal Antonios Naguib (Coptic) - Alexandria
HB Patriarch Gregorios III Laham (Melkite) - Byzantine (formerly Antioch)
HB Patriarch Béchara Pierre Raï (Maronite) - Antioch
HB Patriarch Ignace Youssif III Younan (Syrian) - Antioch
HB Patriarch Nersès Bédros XIX Tarmouni (Armenian) - Celicia
HB Patriarch (vacant see) (Chaldean) - Babylon
HBE Major Archbishop Cardinal Lucian Mureşan (Romanian) - Făgăraş şi Alba Iulia
HBE Major Archbishop Cardinal George Alencherry (Syro-Malabar) - Ernakulam–Angamaly
HB Major Archbishop Baselios Cleemis Thottunkal (Syro-Malankar) - Trivandrum
HB Major Archbishop Sviatoslav Shevchuk (Ukrainian) - Kyiv–Halyč

gcatholic.com/hierarchy/patriarchs.htm

Since there is a current thread specifically about the bema, I took the liberty to put my reply there so as not to derail this thread too far. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.