Patriarchy.

Since there are both Eastern Orthodox and Catholic churches, and each has its own patriarch, who would be the true one?

The one with a single point of unity that removes any pretext for schism.

I’m surprised a Catholic would endorse the Orthodox Church like that. :smiley:

Note from Moderator:

I laughed. :stuck_out_tongue:

Now I invoke the Debate Guidelines for Eastern Catholicism.

May God Bless You Abundantly,
Catherine Grant
Eastern Catholicism Moderator

Don’t be so shocked!

As for the OP, not all Eastern Catholics exist under a Patriarchate.

Further, the age old question of (or rather, default mindset around) territoriality will inevitably short-circuit thinking along these lines before that question arises. Just look at how poorly we deal with ECs now in the diaspora that are not part of a Patriarchiate (or a “Patriarchiate lite”, otherwise known as a Major Archiepiscopate, which only exists under the unspoken pretense that Rome does not want to compound the problem of multiple claims to Patriarchial sees). Once we are viewed as a people and not as a territory, these simply become questions of optimal leadership for particular churches of same or most common origin.

A great Eastern Catholic leader once said that it is our destiny to become obsolete.

Until recently, I didn’t think that was such a sound idea.

I now believe this is the only path to reunification of the Apostolic Churches, in which case the question in the OP is relevant, but sadly a distant consideration (or so it seems at the moment).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.