Patriarchy.

Since there are both Eastern Orthodox and Catholic churches, and each has its own patriarch, who would be the true one?

[quote="UnityofTrinity, post:1, topic:286292"]
Since there are both Eastern Orthodox and Catholic churches, and each has its own patriarch, who would be the true one?

[/quote]

The one with a single point of unity that removes any pretext for schism.

[quote="Aelred_Minor, post:2, topic:286292"]
The one with a single point of unity that removes any pretext for schism.

[/quote]

I'm surprised a Catholic would endorse the Orthodox Church like that. :D

Note from Moderator:

I laughed. :p

Now I invoke the Debate Guidelines for Eastern Catholicism.

May God Bless You Abundantly,
Catherine Grant
Eastern Catholicism Moderator

[quote="Nine_Two, post:3, topic:286292"]
I'm surprised a Catholic would endorse the Orthodox Church like that. :D

[/quote]

Don't be so shocked!

As for the OP, not all Eastern Catholics exist under a Patriarchate.

Further, the age old question of (or rather, default mindset around) territoriality will inevitably short-circuit thinking along these lines before that question arises. Just look at how poorly we deal with ECs now in the diaspora that are not part of a Patriarchiate (or a "Patriarchiate lite", otherwise known as a Major Archiepiscopate, which only exists under the unspoken pretense that Rome does not want to compound the problem of multiple claims to Patriarchial sees). Once we are viewed as a people and not as a territory, these simply become questions of optimal leadership for particular churches of same or most common origin.

A great Eastern Catholic leader once said that it is our destiny to become obsolete.

Until recently, I didn't think that was such a sound idea.

I now believe this is the only path to reunification of the Apostolic Churches, in which case the question in the OP is relevant, but sadly a distant consideration (or so it seems at the moment).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.