Patrick Kennedy: Stop calling Donald Trump ‘crazy’

Patrick Kennedy, a former Democratic congressman and mental health advocate, penned an op-ed Monday demanding pundits stop calling Donald Trump “crazy” because it demeans those who actually suffer from mental illness.

” ‘Crazy’ is never uttered with compassion,” Mr. Kennedy wrote for The Washington Post. “I have never heard it used in the context of trying to get someone the treatment they need. When that language is commonplace, it becomes that much harder for those experiencing mental illness to openly seek treatment that works.

“With all of this damaging rhetoric floating around in our national political discourse, especially what we hear from and about Trump, it’s no wonder that people remain silent and the suffering continues,” he wrote.

m.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/aug/9/patrick-kennedy-stop-calling-donald-trump-crazy/

This is true. Sorry if I did ,that I did in fact use the word crazy on a thread referring to ideas. Polítical or nit ,it sounds inadequate to use it,true. . My apologies.

[quote=Washington Times]The American Psychiatric Association on Wednesday urged psychiatrists not to publicly diagnose the candidates.

“The unique atmosphere of this year’s election cycle may lead some to want to psychoanalyze the candidates,” Maria A. Oquendo, president of the APA, wrote, “but to do so would not only be unethical, it would be irresponsible.”
[/quote]

Along with Patrick Kennedy, I think the APA has the right attitude. Psychiatric diagnoses shouldn’t be used as weapons.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.