Patron Saint question

I am currently in RCIA. Because I was raised Protestant, this concept of saints, praying to/with the saints, and patron saints is very new to me.

I have been told I am supposed to have a patron saint at Confirmation. After some study, I really feel drawn to St. Monica as I am a wife, mother, housewife, and feel a burden for my non-Catholic family (as she did). I also have always - even in my Protestant days - loved Paul the Apostle; his epistles always inspired me, and his logic is undeniable. Bonus: he’s the patron saint of my profession.

My question is this: I realize these are two great saints. I feel very awkward, presumptous even, in asking for their help or naming them “my” patron saint(s). Having a patron saint has been explained to me as having a special relationship with that person. How does someone like me develop a relationship with two greats of the faith like them? And - this seems very silly to ask, but here goes - aren’t they too busy; I’m sure they are quite popular, so how do they have time?

Remembering that we don’t pray to the saints but ask their intercession, we ask them to pray for us as we would ask each other to pray to God for us!..you have as much right as any other of our brothers and sisters to have these as your patrons…by the way, Paul was a convert too! I’m sure he would be only too happy to take you ‘under his wing’! Remember that he too had faults and complained of not being able to do all the good things he wanted to do.

I don’t have a St Monica prayer but there is a famous prayer asking St Monica’s intercession for our families.
I wrote the following…and including it to ‘say’ that one can approach our saints quite naturally.

If you want both Monica and Paul, why not hyphenate them for your Confirmation name Monica-Paul?

Saint Paul and conversion
Saul of Tarsus, implacable enemy of apostle and Church, who became zealous Christian and writer of biblical epistles, intercede for radical conversion in all who are presently disinterested or hostile.

Paul, you showed courage of conviction even before you became a zealous apostle of the Kingdom. Please pray that we will be similarly committed. However, please obtain that we will not support any cause that is not sanctioned by the loving will of God.
God granted you conversion to Christian faith. He chose you as a great apostle of the early Church, and through your writing gave precious insights into religious truth.

You, who turned aside from your treasured convictions to follow Jesus and His commands, please intercede for our courage to undertake radical ongoing conversion. Pray that we also may accept whatever risks or ridicule ensues as we follow and teach the truth.

You taught and exhorted, you endured persecution and personal weakness. You suffered from the error and tepidity of others. You longed for death to unite you with God, but you willed to live in order to serve. Paul, pray that we also shall be true apostles of Christ. 1999

This month of October is expected to give us a new beatified mother-saint, the mother of St Therese of Lisieux (a much loved saint who teaches us a ‘little way’ to holiness, the way of living ordinary life extra-ordinarily well). The mother is Zelie Martin, soon to be Blessed.
I’m delighted that you have been given the grace of conversion to the Catholic faith. May God flood you and your family with graces.

Warm wishes, Trishie

First, welcome home! Congrats on being in RCIA! :smiley:

I think in choosing your patron saint(s) it’s OK if you don’t have a strong relationship with them yet. It will come with time, as you look to them more and more as examples of holy living. When I was confirmed in high school (cradle Catholic here) I chose the name Marion (after Mary) because my grandmother’s name was Marion, but she died when my Dad was 16 so I never knew her. I didn’t have a particular devotion to Mary then, but I’m growing closer to her now. :smiley:

Yes, they’re popular saints :stuck_out_tongue: but time isn’t an issue in heaven – there is no time there, so they just continually pray for us and intercede for us with Jesus.

Best wishes to you (praying for you now), and here’s the St. Monica Prayer Trishie mentioned:

PRAYER TO ST. MONICA

Dear St. Monica,
troubled wife and mother,
many sorrows pierced your heart during your lifetime.
Yet, you never despaired or lost faith.
With confidence, persistence, and profound faith,
you prayed daily for the conversion
of your beloved husband, Patricius,
and your beloved son, Augustine;
your prayers were answered.
Grant me that same fortitude, patience,
and trust in the Lord.
Intercede for me, dear St. Monica,
that God may favorably hear my plea for

(personal intentions)

and grant me the grace to accept His Will in all things,
through Jesus Christ, our Lord,
in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, forever and ever.

Amen.

Can’t you have two patron saints?

Sure. In fact, I have a small platoon.

St. Francis, since I was born 4 October 1944
St Mary Magdalene, patron saint of repentent sinners (I qualify Big Time)
St. Philomena, who is also the patron of the Catholic church I attend
Venrable Matt Talbot, for help with my alcoholism. OK, he is not a saint, yet. But still a help for me.

You develop a relationship with them the same as you would develop a relationship with people still living on earth: by talking to them, allowing them to share your burdens, etc. We are instructed to pray constantly for each other. This duty does not stop when we die; and for the saints, it is a joyful duty.

How do they have the time? That’s just it, they don’t! Time is an earthly concept. Time as we know it does not exist in heaven; it is all an eternal “now” in the presence of God. So the saints are not limited by time as we know it. They are able to hear and respond to the prayers of all their “clients” to whatever extent God permits.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.