Patron Saints and Experiences

Do you choose your patron saint or do they choose you…

For those of you who have a patron saint… Would you list who they are and how you knew they were your patron saint and any experience where they interceeded on your behalf?

The Blessed Virgin Mary - As the Mother of the Church, she is my main patron saint. She has led me to her Son and she has helped me to defeat sin and grow in holiness.

St. Dominic - His sons have guided my spiritual life since I came back to the Church. The Rosary given to him by the Blessed Mother has been my constant source of grace and peace. St. Dominic’s ideals and ethos inspires me, and his personal holiness is something I always strive to emulate.

St. Thomas Aquinas - The Angelic Doctor was my patron when I was a student. His intercession helped a great deal during examinations and essays. I always prayed to him before all of my exams and during my periods of study and revision. He was and continues to be one of my greatest friends in Christ.

St. Anthony - He always helps me find lost items. I always find what I am looking for when I ask him to help.

St. Michael - I always ask for his protection. The Prince of the Heavenly Host protects me during spiritual attacks (real or imagined :)) and he gives me strength to defeat temptation.

My Guardian Angel - He is my companion, and my guide. Every day I ask him to be by my side. I am starting to pray to him more than ever and I think he is a great support.

There are others I could mention but these are the my main patrons. I pray to these great saints on a daily basis, some more than others. I pray to many different saints for many different reasons.

Not to get off topic, but you can have more than one patron? Hmm…

How do you know which one to take as a Baptism or Confirmation name?

Not to get off topic, but you can have more than one patron? Hmm…

Why can’t you have more than one?

Can you have more than one friend?

They are our brothers and sisters in Christ. They want to help us grow in holiness. You shouldn’t feel as if you have to choose only one. They are all there for us.

I have many different patrons for many different reasons. The Saints are our family, and all are our friends.

If I had to pick one saint as my main patron it would be St. Dominic because he is an inspiration to me.

How do you know which one to take as a Baptism or Confirmation name?

The name you choose isn’t important. The most important thing is to choose a Saint who inspires you to become more holy. Read the lives of the Saints and you will find one who you most identify with.

I have a few:

Bl. Fr. Seelos: He saved me from getting flooded inside New Orleans during a bad t-storm and he saved my little cousins life. I now have a small relic of him that I constantly venerate.

Our Lady of Perpetual Help: She has helped me so much in my struggle for purity

St. Anthony: He gets me everytime I lose something (which is often)

Mother Theresa: She helps me everytime I need to show a little charity but I don’t want to.

All of them chose me!!! :thumbsup:

I’m not technically Catholic (no RCIA just yet), but…

St. Francis de Sales — He’s the patron saint of journalists, and one day at work, I jokingly printed an icon and placed it on my desk. Since then, however, everything has been on a downhill (uphill?) roll toward Rome.

I have a few as well - Our Lady of Perpetual Help being one, Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal (which I wear frequently) another.

the main ones are

St Joseph - patron of immigrants and workers (I work in the area of immigration law) and all-round great guy

St Francis of Assisi - as a secular Franciscan in training, this is a natural fit

St Helena - found the True Cross. She’s my confirmation saint and reminds me to ‘take up my cross daily’ among other things :thumbsup:

St Thomas More - patron of lawyers, see above

St Joseph of Cupertino is specifically a patron of those taking exams - I love him because he WASN’T a brilliant scholar, quite the opposite, but succeeded nonetheless.

My main patron (or the one I took for confirmation) is St. Lawrence, he is the patron of those in the restaurant industry and I came across him while I was away from the Church and asked for his intercession several times at work and during classes and he pulled through for me and it was part of what eventually brought me back to the Church.

St. Patrick, I always pray to when I am discussing the Faith with non-Catholics, I have a tendency to lose my cool sometimes so he helps with that.

And of course Our Lady who is there for everything.

Here’s something from the Catholic Encyclopedia — Hope it helps!

Patron Saints
A patron is one who has been assigned by a venerable tradition, or chosen by election, as a special intercessor with God and the proper advocate of a particular locality, and is honoured by clergy and people with a special form of religious observance. The term “patron”, being wider in its meaning than that of “titular”, may be applied to a church, a district, a country, or a corporation. The word “titular” is applied only to the patron of a church or institution. Both the one and the other, according to the legislation now in force, must have the rank of a canonized saint.

newadvent.org/cathen/11562a.htm

I have several. I was baptised in Saint Michael the Archangel Parish. He’s my first Patron Saint. I picked Saint Thomas Moore for my Confirmation Saint as I was on my way to law school when I got Baptised. But I have a fondness for several others, like St. John Newman and St. Paul and St. Peter and of course the Blessed Mother! I have a long list of my “favorite” saints, but technically I think your patron saint is whoever is the Patron of the Parish you live in, which for me is good ole St. Paul! But you might want to check with the apologists about the details. You can be devoted to any Saint you want! Pick one! Then another, then another and then another…I read from Butler’s every morning (I have my very own 4 vol. set!) and have since before I was Baptised. It is part of my morning meditation. I really love the Martyrs. I couldn’t imagine getting through the day without some help from someone! :eek:

Peace,

Gail

I’m pretty new to Catholicism (starting RCIA next week!!); the only saint I’ve asked for intercession (besides Mary with the Rosary) so far is St. Rita of Cascia. I ask her to help me be a more patient person, to give me strength when things with my boyfriend are difficult, and she reminds me that things will work out as they’re intended to in their own time.

Given that I’m a classical singer, I should probably add St. Cecilia to that very short list. =)

Hey there Sacred Heart Fan!

“St. Anthony: He gets me everytime I lose something (which is often)” Did you know you’re supposed to give an alms of bread ot the poor every time Saint Anthony finds something for you? Do you owe some bread to anyone? LOL. :stuck_out_tongue:

I just started the First Friday Devotions. This Friday will be my second Friday. It is intense!

Peace,

Gail

Now that I’ve had some though processes happening… Here’s mine…

Blessed Mother Mary
St. Philomena
St. Jude
St. Michael the Archangel
St. Mary Magdalen
St. Anthony

It’ll grow I’m sure…

My patron saint is Daniel.

The one I pray to most, and receive the most experiences from and answers from, however, is the Virgin Mary. I’ll relate my experiences with the Blessed Virgin here. I’ve been wanting someone to talk to about them, as I’m surrounded by Protestants on all sides.

While I was a Protestant visiting France a couple years ago, I went into a Catholic church full of images of the Holy Virgin. I felt that this was too much emphasis by far, and felt it distracted people from God and threatened to be idolatry. While I was in the church, I for the first time sincerely found myself questioning whether or not this might be holy- but my bias from my upbringing overwhelmed that questioning at that point in my life. I now believe that the Mother of the Church was calling to me at that point, when I entered the church dedicated to her, and I think that that is why for the first time in my life I seriously questioned whether my Protestant assumptions on this were valid. That’s not something I could normally have done on my own power. Unfortunately, the bias won out at that moment. But, praise God, the Blessed Virgin did not give up on me.

Later on, when the Lord was calling me to Catholicism, I felt immense spiritual hunger. I prayed that God would reveal to me more about his kingdom for months, and then he began to lead me toward the Catholic Church. I prayed more than once for a confirming sign that this was my Lord speaking to me. The Lord gave me many signs.

One of the first signs, and a very important one to me, came very shortly after I prayed that the Lord would reveal to me whether or not the Medieval Ages truly were God’s Christian kingdom, and whether or not Catholicism truly was his Church. Just one or two days after that prayer, my Protestant mother dug out of a junk pile a birthday card I’d received from my Protestant grandmother several years before. On it was a painting of the Blessed Virgin holding the Christ child, surrounded by angels and standing in front of a grassy plain and a city, the Heavenly Jerusalem. A monk stood outside it. It was a Renaissance painting of the Medieval kingdom, and it was clearly a Catholic painting too. The Lord had answered my prayer, but he gave me as his sign the Blessed Virgin. I had originally rejected her in her church in France. But she did not give up on me after that brief encounter, and it was her image given me in answer to prayer that strengthened me on my journey toward Catholicism.

The Virgin was thus there for me in the confirming sign near the beginning of my journey toward Catholicism. She was also there for me at the end of it.

At the end of my journey, after having debated and argued with Protestants and Catholics and read from the Early Church Fathers and studied Catholicism, and after having had months of intensive spiritual searching with the Lord, discussions with Him and many other signs from Him, I finally reached the point where I felt I had to get myself completely out of the equation and let the Lord make the final decision. So I laid it all before my dear God and appealed to Him for his mighty protection for my soul, so that demons and false philosophies would not deceive me as I made the final decision. All the evidence seemed to be leaning in Catholicism’s favor, but the Lord has always led me in my spiritual journey, both as a Protestant and as a Catholic, and I was afraid to make the decision my own human brain. I wanted the Lord’s ultimate answer on the quest I was taking.

So I appealed to God for the protection of Christ’s blood and prayed that it would cover me, and I prayed against all evil forces, and I said that I would believe God as he answered me. He has always protected me when I appeal for his direct protection from evil forces in this way, and I trusted after finishing that prayer engagement that the answer I received would be His. If he told me Catholicism was false and I was being led astray, I would believe Him, and if he told me Protestantism was false and leading me astray in its differences from Catholicism, I would believe Him. I laid my soul out completely at the feet of my sovereign and prayed, “You make the decision.”

Then I went on a prayer walk, alone, listening for his answer.

I walked halfway around my block, when, as I glanced up down the street, my eyes caught on a Stop sign and I felt the Lord telling me in my heart, “STOP.” So I stopped walking instantly, right where he had told me to stop.

I glanced around me. I saw a tree standing alone in the middle of their garden, and to me it represented the one Church of Christ. The plant arrangement around it likewise had spiritual significance leaning toward Catholicism, I thought, yet I said to myself after a little while, "This could easily be coincidence and my own interpretation pushing in here. There are all kinds of plant arrangements around the block. I’d need something much more solid to show me.

“Lord, I’ll need a much clearer sign than that.”

The very second after I prayed that, my eyes fell upon something else. There was a white statue of the Virgin Mary with her hands open in blessing, right in front of the house. It was the only house in my block with a statue of the Virgin Mary, clearly Catholic, and I had “coincidentally” stopped right in front of it. God had told me to stop there for a reason.

I’m finishing relating my Virgin Mary experiences in the next post . . .

I had my answer and I knew it. And like the first major sign I had received supporting me on this quest, this last major sign came to me in the image of the Virgin Mary.

I prayed, at that moment, to my Lord, still standing in the same spot He’d told me to stop, “Lord, I now know what your answer is. The only question that remains for me is if I can trust you.”

Protestant bias and upbringing were so intense around me that it was very hard to take that step of trust.

The Lord had an answer for that too. The very instant I made that prayer, I happened to glance down and right in front of my feet on the concrete was a dime. I lifted it and there was God’s answer on the coin which I had “coincidentally” stopped right in front of, and “coincidentally” happened to see the second after my prayer had been made. It said, “In God we trust.”

I believe the fact that I saw these images of the Virgin Mary was not coincidence. I have had several more experiences with the Virgin Mary since becoming Catholic as well, such as immense joy during the Hail Marys and during my first time learning about the coronation of Mary. When I first read about her coronation, I was moved to tears by the glory of it. As I prayed the Rosary once, I also began to have picture images in my mind of the Blessed Virgin, and I think that they were from God.

Also, for a time I went to St. Matthew’s Cathedral in Washington DC, and a section of that cathedral is devoted to the Blessed Virgin. Whenever I entered that place, I was filled with a sense of peace, holiness, and attentiveness. I felt that Mary was there, listening closely and filling the place with her grace.

My last experience with the Virgin Mary – or, I guess I should put it as “my most recent” – was also in Washington DC. I had a dream one night of a bad shepherd who ignored his sheep and gambled them on a horse race in a distant country where he had no idea who would win.

That day, I had a long debate with an atheist. He was absolutely convinced of the value of the Enlightenment ideals and “progress”, and scorned religious belief. I pointed out to him that his beliefs are the product of geography and time, and that people throughout time and on very different countries have grown up extremely different. His beliefs are a tiny minority of beliefs, considering how many other cultures and belief systems there are in the world today, and all their adherents just as biased in their favor as he is. So on what basis did he thinks his conclusions were right? There has to be, I argued, something eternal to separate us from the whirlpool of bias on moral issues that spans continents and fills every mind. Without the eternal to separate us from this bias, we are essentially gambling that our particular culture is right, when thousands of other cultures with billions of other adherents are gambling otherwise.

I only realized the following day that this argument paralleled the dream I’d had the night before. The horse represents progress, our specific Enlightenment culture. The race gambling represents the fact that believing in one’s own cultural values as opposed to another culture’s values is a gamble if the values do not spring from eternal truth. For otherwise it’s subjective human opinion, which can be wrong, and you can’t know you’re right and these vast variety of competing views are wrong. And that’s not even getting into the multitude of different cultural values that will exist in the next few centuries, and differ radically from ours. They also are part of the horse race for truth.

The sheep represent people led by the bad shepherd, who, in turn, represents time and geography. Time and geography fashion human thought more than anything else, and they are purely irrational forces. The fact that they create the world’s rationalities, when they themselves are so completely irrational, would be highly depressing if the eternal was not capable of scooping us out of that morass of gambling on a correct culture, for with the eternal separating people from these cultures and exposing its own distinct godly culture (“you are in the world but not of the world”), we need not be part of that horse race.

The bad shepherd is the irrational time and geography which leads the people who bet that their culture is right. That sums up my debate of that day with the atheist, but the Lord predicted our debate beforehand through that dream in order to teach me.

Then he concluded the message with a message about the Blessed Virgin, which brought my experience of the Virgin for that day to a close. I went to Mass that evening, and the priest said that Mary is the shepherdess of the Church.

That was the conclusion to the dream and debate of the day, I realized the following morning when suddenly all of this came together for me and I came to understand how God and his Mother had spoken to me.

The bad shepherd is time and geography, the good shepherd is Jesus, and the shepherdess, I was shown, is Mary. She exists in the eternal and the culture she distributes in the Church is eternal rather than the product of geography and time period.

That was the most recent Marian experience I had. It was very wonderful to me, strengthening me with the knowledge that Jesus was speaking through me to that atheist about the enormous gamble that is the basis of his beliefs and his entire rationality. It also illuminated something new and vital about Catholicism to me, because I am convinced that it’s no coincidence that that day began with a dream about a bad shepherd and ended with a homily about God’s shepherdess. This was a new level of understanding for me also, about Mary’s role in leading the Church.

I wonder if the Virgin Mary first really noticed me in that church in France where I stepped into her sanctuary. Then I wonder if she spoke to me, which is why I found myself reevaluating my beliefs regarding her. And then I wonder if she prayed for me ever since that visit to St. Mary’s sanctuary, which would explain the spiritual darkness and hunger that dogged me for so long after that, leading me toward Catholicism. And then the images I received that served as the first and then the final signs to me were also of the Virgin Mary, completing the journey she had begun. Which would explain why I’m drawn to her so strongly ever since, as a Catholic, as well. She brought me here in the first place.

I suspect that this is exactly what happened! I never really assembled all these experiences together like this before and saw the story arch for what it is. I’m so glad for the thread topic! It’s awestriking to me to see the sequence of these experiences and how they fit together in my life and impacted me! I never realized fully how much our Shepherdess did for me before tonight.

Thanks so much for the thread :).

I’ve started this practice of asking for the intercessions of as many saints whose names I can remember immediately after finishing the rosary. Aside from that, I don’t seemingly pray to the saints very much. There are more than a few, though, who continue to inspire me to live in a different way:

St. Dominic who I learned used to travel with no shoes, which is rather important for a tenderfoot such as myself.

St. Francis and St. Clare of Assisi whose spirituality I continue to grapple with, but for the better.

St. Paul who faced persecution like a…well…a saint!

St. Jude, who I unfortunately have forgotten over the past couple of years but who I will always thank for giving me the opportunity to become Catholic when I did.

And, of course, St. Mary, Our Blessed Mother. I also wear a Miraculous Medal and pray it at least once a day. She is my confirmation saint.

I recently started praying to St. Bonaventure, though, for health reasons :o , and it seems my prayers are working! :smiley:

Here’s another Saint to add to the mix:

St Dymphna…Patroness of those afflicted with emotional problems,nervousness and/or mental illness.

www.nationalshrinestdymphna.org

You’re welcome…

Wow, what an experience you had…

You’re a changed man forever, aren’t you?! :thumbsup:

I’m a Catholic now :D. I have the Eucharist, my Sacred Heart of Jesus. So of course it has changed my life completely :D.

What an excellent thread! Thanks for starting it, stacybks! :slight_smile:

Lief Erikson:

You may want to consider publishing in a magazine the story arch of your conversion through the Blessed Mother. :slight_smile:

~~ the phoenix

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.