Patron Saints of Chastity?

Hi everyone. What are some of the patron saints of chastity? :shrug::confused:

St. Agnes of Rome is a favorite of mine, and my sister likes St. Maria Goretti. Our Lady is also quite handy for prayers in this area. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ah ok. Thank you! :slight_smile:

As would be St Joseph - guardian of virgins!

There’s an interesting story about St Thomas Aquinas too - apparently his family didn’t like his choice of vocation, and some relative put a prostitute in his room to tempt him to break his vow of chastity. He of course chased her out of his room and stayed chaste!

Ah ok. That is an interesting story about St. Thomas Aquinas. :slight_smile:

It’s hard to beat the Blessed Mother for chastity. Some others come to mind, though (some of which have already been mentioned):

St. Agnes

St. Lucy (I’d tell the story of why she is always depicted holding a platter with eyeballs on it, but eye stuff grosses me out)

St. Maria Goretti (died rather than submit to sexual advances)

Bl. Margaret of Castello (physically deformed and highly unlikely to have married on that account, but had to fight hard to master her passionate nature)

St. Maximilian Kolbe (when the Blessed Mother appeared to him and offered him the choice between the white crown of purity and the red crown of martyrdom, he chose both)

St. Therese of Lisieux

St. Mary Magdalene and St. Mary of Egypt (reformed prostitutes)

St. Faustina (records in her Diary that the Blessed Mother obtained for her the grace of confirmation in chastity)

St. Thomas Aquinas

St. Joseph

St. Cecilia

Thank you Victorious! :thumbsup:

Dear Holly

I pray 3 hail Mary’s and say Mary most pure, pray for me. I do this each morning for holy purity. Or when I wake up:D

My patron saint, St Gemma, was once tempted against purity by the devil in a real way and she pleaded with our Bkessed Lord not to permit this type of temptation again. She said - Not that Lord, anything except that. And she never got temptations like that one again. So I have entrusted purity to her too.

God bless you:thumbsup::slight_smile:
John

How about St. Dymphna?

Holly, you have some wonderful responses! I agree with all of the above… AND I’d like to add…

St. Philomena!

God bless.

those are all great! also, I think St Rose of Lima… :slight_smile:

and Our Lady is the perfect person to ask for purity.

St. Rose and Mary would be my choices, too.

Philomena is my choice for chastity :thumbsup: In fact, there’s a wonderful sacramental called St. Philomena’s Cord. It’s a red and white cotton cord that is worn around the waist in defense of one’s chastity.

Peace,
-S-

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.