Paul believes in the Church as the Pillar of Truth.

1 Tim 3:15.
But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, **which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth. **

The pillar and ground of the truth… Therefore the church of the living God can never uphold error, nor bring in corruptions, superstition, or idolatry.

newadvent.org/bible/1ti003.htm

Yes, but there are critics who say 'yes that is true but well it has sought of erred, not erred exactly, but sort of. Not that I can say how it has erred but it has erred. It is the truth but it does not comply with my view of the truth so while it is the truth it may not be, least not how I see the world.

The pillar of truth. Well that depends on what you call the truth. It may be the truth but not the truth as I see the truth. Yes Christ said His church would be one. But it depends philosophically on what you call ‘one’. I am one but I have two legs so am I one in legs? No I am two. But then the two legs are attached to one body which has two arms. So I am no longer one but four, well sort of. If there were two of me, I would be eight.

What is truth? I do not know, all I know is that when I tell lies I am not telling the truth. But then when I tell lies, I tell myself it is the truth so lies are the truth to me. So what is the truth/

Of course I jest. But critics of the church as the pillar of truth could [and do] argue like that…or sort of!

Well, if they do argue like that, we shall call them silly and slap them one across the head with a newspaper.

I don’t see how there can be any argument against this passage.
Before there were protestants, there was only the Catholic Church (let’s ignore the Orthodox for now…)
If there was only one church that was the pillar of fire and truth, what happened?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.