Paul Ryan and Abortion for Rapes

**I need to know factual documentation that Paul Ryan supports an abortion in the case of a rape. Please cite your answer.

This is only a question for citation.**

It is unclear how you have arrived at this conclusion. You are looking for documentation that does not exist.

Paul Ryan's position is that life begins at conception. He also has a 100% pro life voting record in Congress.

nrlc.org/press_releases_new/Release081112.html

Ryan is one of the sponsors of the personhood act (Sanctity of Human Life Act) defining personhood as beginning at conception:

prolifewisconsin.org/MONUPD_files/August2012monupd.html

And NARAL hates him, the best indication he is 100% pro life:

prochoiceamerica.org/elections/2012/gop-presidential-candidates/paul-ryan.html?gclid=COC1jOuT_LECFce8KgodQDwA8Q

Ryan, in the Weekly Standard: "I’m as pro-life as a person gets," Ryan told me in July. "You’re not going to have a truce. Judges are going to come up. Issues come up, they’re unavoidable, and I’m never going to not vote pro-life."

Romney had stated after the Akin statement on rape that he and his VP supports abortion in the case of a rape. This refers to Paul Ryan.

[quote="jmjconder, post:3, topic:296127"]
Romney had stated after the Akin statement on rape that he and his VP supports abortion in the case of a rape. This refers to Paul Ryan.

[/quote]

Perhaps he stated that he supports abortion in the case of rape/incest.

Paul Ryan does not support abortion for rape/incest.

It’s the name of a link on New Advent that goes to cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57496224-503544/romney-abortion-view-overrides-ryan-in-akin-response/

However, reading the article simply seems to imply that the Romney-Ryan administration, should it be elected, would not oppose abortion in case of rape and not that Ryan has changed his mind.

[quote="jmjconder, post:1, topic:296127"]
**I need to know factual documentation that Paul Ryan supports an abortion in the case of a rape. Please cite your answer.

This is only a question for citation.**

[/quote]

The left is doing all that they can to smear him. They don't care if it's all lies as long as enough people get fooled to get Obama reelected.

When recently asked that question, he said he would defer to Romney’s beliefs for their platform. He’s traditionally anti-abortion in all cases. I’m sure it can’t be that hard to find in black and white because it’s common knowledge.

I think their voting record is a better indication of what they believe. What they say will change with the weather.

However, I guess if Romney is actually for abortion in any way, shape or form, there are people here who will believe that it is a mortal sin to vote for him.

Just my observation.

I am reminded of the comment on straining at gnats and swallowing camels.

I expect the country will again swallow the camel and inaugurate him on January 21, 2013. January 23 will be the 40th anniversary of Roe vs Wade. [Note that his original nomination was within days of the 40th anniversary of *Humanae Vitae.]

"Forty years I loathed that generation, and swore that they would never enter into my rest. "

[quote="jmjconder, post:1, topic:296127"]
I need to know factual documentation that Paul Ryan supports an abortion in the case of a rape. Please cite your answer.

This is only a question for citation.

[/quote]

[quote="livingwordunity, post:6, topic:296127"]
The left is doing all that they can to smear him. They don't care if it's all lies as long as enough people get fooled to get Obama reelected.

[/quote]

I heard it on O'reilly last night. I was very concerned about this, they stated that Paul Ryan would not oppose abortions in the case of rape.

The Republican platform now includes defining human life to begin at conception. Its my opinion that their public statement is just political posturing. In other words the statement "I would not support banning abortions in the case of rape" should be followed by..."at this point and time.....". I have complete faith that they both wish to make it illegal long term, however they can make the statement they did above truthfully because short term their goal is only to make it illegal in almost all cases. I think most people would agree getting where we should on this issue is probably going to take going through that step first. It is highly unlikely we go from where we are now to a complete abortion ban...

**What I have read in these posts is that although Romney may hold this position Ryan may not?

The differnce is what? If Romney holds this position and Ryan does not - why place yourself on this ticket knowing this would be a huge issue.

This post is about the fact Ryan is a VP canidiate with a Presidential canidiate that supports abortion in the case of a rape? Does that not Ryan a supporter of this?

Again I am not asking for opinion - I am asking for facts and clarification.**

[quote="jmjconder, post:12, topic:296127"]
**What I have read in these posts is that although Romney may hold this position Ryan may not?

The differnce is what? If Romney holds this position and Ryan does not - why place yourself on this ticket knowing this would be a huge issue.

This post is about the fact Ryan is a VP canidiate with a Presidential canidiate that supports abortion in the case of a rape? Does that not Ryan a supporter of this?

[/quote]

They are politicians...they all say lots of things. What matters is what they will do. Both have very solid pro-life voting records. As I said above the Republican platform which I'm sure Romney has some say in... now includes defining life to begin at conception. That's a fact. Romney has also put a very solid person in charge of selecting Supreme Court Justices, Jay Sekulow, who is sure to pick people who understand the value of human life... Imagine a 6-3 or possibly 7-2 majority in the Supreme Court.... No pro-lifer with a conscience can sit this election out in my opinion based on what I'm seeing.

It could also be a matter of semantics. The real end goal here is to get rid of Roe V. Wade and send this issue back to the States. As long as Roe v. Wade is in place its not possible to even enact a law that would make abortions illegal in the case of rape on a federal level. Thus his statement that he wouldn’t support a law that would ban abortions in the case of rape is really just him stating that he does not support creating what is defined as an unconstitutional law at this point and time…

[quote="jmjconder, post:12, topic:296127"]

[/quote]

Do you not agree that banning all abortions, except in the case of rape, would be a HUGE step in the right direction? Of course, the goal is zero abortions ever, for any reason. But what's the alternative in this election...Obama? He's in favor of abortion for any reason under the sun. If you're having a baby girl and you hate the color pink, Obama says you deserve an abortion. He even wants us to pay for them!!! Please tell me you're not considering voting for him just because the Republican ticket is not saying they'd overturn Roe v Wade 5 minutes after the inauguration ceremony... :confused:

Please tell me you’re not considering voting for him just because the Republican ticket is not saying they’d overturn Roe v Wade 5 minutes after the inauguration ceremony…

Not sure how you jumped to that conclusion.

[quote="1ke, post:2, topic:296127"]
It is unclear how you have arrived at this conclusion. You are looking for documentation that does not exist.

Paul Ryan's position is that life begins at conception. He also has a 100% pro life voting record in Congress.

nrlc.org/press_releases_new/Release081112.html

Ryan is one of the sponsors of the personhood act (Sanctity of Human Life Act) defining personhood as beginning at conception:

prolifewisconsin.org/MONUPD_files/August2012monupd.html

And NARAL hates him, the best indication he is 100% pro life:

prochoiceamerica.org/elections/2012/gop-presidential-candidates/paul-ryan.html?gclid=COC1jOuT_LECFce8KgodQDwA8Q

Ryan, in the Weekly Standard: "I’m as pro-life as a person gets," Ryan told me in July. "You’re not going to have a truce. Judges are going to come up. Issues come up, they’re unavoidable, and I’m never going to not vote pro-life."

[/quote]

I am sincerely wondering why the Sanctity of Human Life Act, H.R.212 which was passed by the Republican House allowed for the protection of **cloned **embryos? Should we not ban the cloning of human beings?:

SEC. 2. DECLARATION.
In the exercise of the powers of the Congress, including Congress’ power under article I, section 8 of the Constitution, to make necessary and proper laws, and Congress’ power under section 5 of the 14th article of amendment to the Constitution of the United States--

(1) the Congress declares that--

(A) the right to life guaranteed by the Constitution is vested in each human being, and is the paramount and most fundamental right of a person; and

(B) the life of each human being begins with fertilization, cloning, or its functional equivalent, irrespective of sex, health, function or disability, defect, stage of biological development, or condition of dependency, at which time every human being shall have all the legal and constitutional attributes and privileges of personhood; and

opencongress.org/bill/112-h212/text

Please, I would like a serious response to this question, as to determine when God gives a soul to the human being. If at conception, does God give a soul to embryos which are created by scientists, inside or outside the womb? Cloned, genetically modified or otherwise?

Thank you

micah

It just seemed like you were very concerned that Ryan might be supporting abortion in very limited cases…it sounded like you were implying you couldn’t vote for him in that case. Sorry for getting crazy with my assumption. :slight_smile:

I believe the Church teaches that God would indeed give souls to cloned human beings, at the moment of their initial creation. I don’t have a source to back that up though. So I think the purpose of the bill was to say, if any humans were cloned they would have to be treated as real people, not experimental subjects. The purpose of this law wasn’t to endorse cloning. Also there’s already a law that bans human cloning, so there was no need to put the same language in the law you referenced.

Two questions and one comment.

1. Would not God then become the puppet of scientists? That is, scientists can create genetically modified human beings, and their God infuses their diabolic creations with souls? Would they be animal souls, or human souls?

2. Can you state the law that bans cloning? As I recall cloning of animals is legal, along with other sorts of genetically created new species of animals, like glowing cats, and the like.

My comment, once you legalize the protection of cloned embryos to the Constitution of the US, the cloning of embryos would be legal. I urge everyone who has a congressman who supported this Act to have them strike the cloning portion of this bill along with any guarantees for the genetic engineering of human embryos.

God’s peace

micah

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.