Paul Ryan Says Obamacare Repeal Bill Will Also Defund Planned Parenthood

cnn.com/2017/01/05/politics/paul-ryan-planned-parenthood-obamacare/

*House Speaker Paul Ryan said Thursday that Republicans will move to strip all federal funding for Planned Parenthood as part of the process they are using early this year to dismantle Obamacare.

Ryan made the announcement during a news conference on Capitol Hill.

Congressional Republicans have tried for years to zero out all federal funding for Planned Parenthood because the group provides abortion services. The issue helped trigger a 16-day government shutdown in 2013, and Democrats and President Barack Obama insisted any provision targeting the group be removed from a bill to fund federal agencies.

Another effort to defund the group will spur another high-profile clash and could be a tough vote for some moderate Republicans such as Maine Sen. Susan Collins and Alaska Sen. Lisa Murkowski, who has opposed past efforts.*

It’s nice to see Paul Ryan live out his Catholic faith on this. There is nothing wrong with that! Let’s hope the others follow! :thumbsup:

Let’s hope Planned Parenthood is defunded.

Repealing Obama care has really made the Democrats angry. This will make them
furious!

Especially Obama.

Great news! Defund Planned Parenthood!

I don’t believe abortion is the only reason why Paul Ryan wants to defund PP. Being an Ayn Rand advocate, at least at one time, he would cut funding of any organization by the government.

As of right now I feel the bill will pass 51-49, assuming everyone votes. Republicans Collins and Murkowski will vote against it and Democrat Joe Manchin will vote for it.

I don’t understand why you are all cheering over this.

You want to restrict access to free health examinations for women? Free STD testing?

You want to restrict access to abortion, and for what? Desperate people WILL find a way to get an abortion, and if you get rid of all the safe ways then thousands will be forced to find dangerous means. Taking away their ability to get a safe abortion will not make them “come to their senses” and suddenly be pro-life and keep all their babies. They will find a way, and by defunding Planned Parenthood you are endangering the lives of women around the country.

The fact that so many of you cheer for this is horrifying, and I will be praying for you just as much as I pray for those women who will be negatively impacted by this.

And maybe you could spare a prayer or two for the MILLIONS AND MILLONS of unborn babies who never got the chance to vote?

Looks like the GOP is determined to hand the house and senate back in 2018. When the reality of the repeal and some of the reasons behind it…like tax cuts for the ultra-wealthy …hit home, the PP vote will shrink to insignificance.
Well, let them make their own bed.

John

I’ve quoted some stuff from following link. Based on analyses of Planned Parenthood’s annual 2014-2015 report by the SBA List, Planned Parenthood saw a decline in patients, STD related services declined as did a number of other non-abortion related services even though Planned Parenthood received an increase in taxpayer funding:

[LIST]During fiscal year 2014-2015, Planned Parenthood received nearly $554 million in taxpayer funding, or more than $1.5 million per day2 in the form of government grants, contracts, and Medicaid reimbursements. Taxpayer funding is up nearly 5% from the previous fiscal year ($528 million).
[/LIST]

[LIST]Despite the increase in taxpayer funding, cancer screening and prevention services dropped
by 27% in just one year, and by 57% since 2010.4
[/LIST]

[LIST]Contraceptive services dropped by nearly 18% in just one year, and are down 20% since
[/LIST]

[LIST]STI/STD prevention and treatment services are down nearly 6%, and “other services” are down by 27% over one year.6 The only major category to see a slight increase (under 4%) is “other women’s health services,” which includes pregnancy tests and prenatal services.7

[/LIST]

[LIST]Overall, total services dropped by nearly 11% in just one year, and are down 14% since 2010.8
[/LIST]

[LIST]Overall, total services dropped by nearly 11% in just one year, and are down 14% since 2010.8
[/LIST]

[LIST]Unique patients dropped by 200,000 in one year, and by 500,000 since 2010, nearly a 17% drop.9
[/LIST]

sba-list.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/SBAList_Fact_Sheet_PP_2014_2015_AnnualReport.pdf

The link to Planned Parenthood’s annual report is on the link.

Why do women need Planned Parenthood when there are considerably more FQHCs (Federally qualified health centres) compared to the number of Planned Parenthood clinics? According to the following:

There are over 13 times more FQHC Service Sites (9,170) nationwide than there are Planned Parenthood centers (about 700).[3]

FQHCs serve 21.1 million individuals per year, nearly eight times more individuals than are served by Planned Parenthood centers (2.8 million).[4]

lozierinstitute.org/planned-parenthood-and-federally-qualified-health-centers/

You can view a state by state comparison of FQHCs to Planned Parenthood clinics at above link.

The Democrats were supposed to have a preferential map in 2016 to the Republicans. 2016 was the Democrats big chance to gain majorities to overcome the deficit in regards to the terrible map they have in 2018 and they didn’t do it in 2016.

How many Republicans who have previously voted to defund Planned Parenthood were reelected?

While it’s true it would be a loss for the GOP (not necessarily for Trump) if they don’t more or less hold what they have in the House and gain 3+ Senate seats, the idea that the Democrats would win back either chamber in 2018 given the map is an absurd notion.

Still, we both know the GOP can blow this like they did in 2012. Even in 2010 and 2014 a couple of things happened that shouldn’t have. But the blow would come in 2020, not 2018.

I’m sorry to say this election wasn’t so much about abortion or PP as it was about the Scalia seat, The dismal policies of the Obama Administration, voter fatigue and political correctness.

The republicans have a huge firewall in 2018 but it also means if they don’t get their act together 2020 will be a mess. I actually think President-elect Trump understands this. My only concern really is that because we’ve had 25 years of unsustainable policy masked first by the benefits of Reagan growth and then the dot-com era, things may get worse before they get better just like in 1980-1982 .

They could vote to defund everything and still find a way to increase the public debt by $10 trillion.

Defunding punishes the whole: Namely, those who still do use the services of Planned Parenthood, i.e. economically disadvantaged citizens most often.

It’s kind of like banning abortion even in cases of rape because “pregnancy from rape does not happen very often.” What about the times when it does happen?

What about the times when Planned Parenthood does contribute to the screenings of thousands of women? Why does a decline in patients indicate that we should defund them entirely? That’s utterly drastic: ignoring masses of people because statistics lowered.

Federally qualified health centers place no special emphasis on sexual health, unlike Planned Parenthood, who specifically caters to this undervalued profession and offering anonymity.

AMEN!

Hope Philomena;14388901]I don’t understand why you are all cheering over this.

My guess is people are cheering because for once the government may actually get something going to protect innocent unborn children.

You want to restrict access to free health examinations for women? Free STD testing?

:rolleyes:

Interestingly enough, Hamas and Hezbollah also provide services to women. Perhaps we should fund them as well?

It’s very crystal clear that the defunding is directly related to abortion AND the fact we the taxpayers can no longer afford this anyways.

You want to restrict access to abortion, and for what? Desperate people WILL find a way to get an abortion, and if you get rid of all the safe ways then thousands will be forced to find dangerous means. Taking away their ability to get a safe abortion will not make them “come to their senses” and suddenly be pro-life and keep all their babies. They will find a way, and by defunding Planned Parenthood you are endangering the lives of women around the country.

Interesting how this logic is only used on abortion, not on say guns.

The fact that so many of you cheer for this is horrifying, and I will be praying for you just as much as I pray for those women who will be negatively impacted by this.

Prayers are always nice, but I’m especially concerned for the female (and male) babies who suffer through an abortion.

BING BING we have a winner.

PP claims that abortion is only a miniscule part of its repertoire of “services”.

All PP needs to do is get out of the abortion business. Its pro-abortion fanaticism is fully on display when it refuses to do so despite the prospect of thousands of low income women losing other services.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.