Paul's rebuke in 1 cor chapter one?

How does one respond to Paul’s rebuke to us in 1 cor chapter one?

If you are talking about Paul saying that there should be no division among us. I respond that I agree and that all those that broke away from the church starting 500 or so years ago need to come home.

Seeker, if you are referring to being “of Peter,” we Catholics do not assert this in the sense forbidden by St. Paul, i.e. as opposed to being of Paul, or of Christ; rather, we recognize in Peter the visible head Christ ordained in communion with the rest of the Church’s hierarchy.

“Divisions in the Church
10 I appeal to you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree and that there be no dissensions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and the same judgment. 11 For it has been reported to me by Chlo′e’s people that there is quarreling among you, my brethren. 12 What I mean is that each one of you says, “I belong to Paul,” or “I belong to Apol′los,” or “I belong to Cephas,” or “I belong to Christ.” 13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul? 14 I am thankful that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Ga′ius; 15 lest any one should say that you were baptized in my name. 16 (I did baptize also the household of Steph′anas. Beyond that, I do not know whether I baptized any one else.) 17 For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with eloquent wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.”

Paul is explaining that there is one deposit of faith, through the apostles, given directly from Jesus. The divisions were already starting in Corinth by people looking to a particular teacher and assuming one was better than the other. The sin of pride is the worse. There have been many who have divided themselves away from the true teachings of Jesus. One major division between the East and the West (Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholic), and as mentioned above by oneGodoneChurch, another division started by a protesting monk, Martin Luther, that has been subdividing ever since.

Amen?

Casilda,

Great reply. We should only look to Jesus: The Way, The Truth, The Life.
Fran

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.