Paying for daughter’s birth control

It depends on what the birth control is and what it is being used for. If it is for example birth control pills that are being used to treat a medical condition then it is not sinful. However, if it is artificial birth control pills being used for the purpose of preventing pregnancy then it is grave matter that has the potential to be a mortal sin if full awareness and knowledge of the sin is present but chosen anyway.

The Catholic Church is not against all birth control, only artificial birth control. For example, natural family planning uses a natural birth control method which the Church allows.

I would say that if anyone, Catholic or not, is engaging in any sex they should be open to life. That is they should be open to the possibility of procreation. If they are not then they should not be engaging in an act where the natural end is procreation. It’s as simple as that.

Now, a married couple could be in a state of life where they can not have another child for financial or other valid reasons. In such a case exercising prudence in sexual relations is necessary. The natural family planning method is not sinful because it does not block the natural end of sex. It does this by practising abstinence during the woman’s fertile period. And abstinence is not sinful. Furthermore, when they do have sex during the infertile period they are still open to the possibility of procreation since they are not using contraceptives. Thus, they are not blocking the natural end of sex. And there is a distinction in not being able to have more children, but still being open to the theoretical possibility in the sexual act. Whereas, to engage in sex with contraceptives means to be not open to the possibility of procreation, because one is blocking its natural end through artificial means. The end does not justify the means.

There is a four letter word that starts with a “c” and rhymes with “duck” that was popularized during this election and perfectly describes men who pay for their daughters birth control.

I’m not automatically assuming bad parenting. I was focussing broadly on the question of “how did she get there?”.

My primary focus was on parenting but this question also encompasses peer pressure, desires and intimacy wishes with their boyfriend, and many other things that may motivate her to make those decisions. They all need to be validly explored.

Pope Francis speaks often about accompaniment, and this would be a great example where one should accompany the girl.

We all make choices that pertain to our situation. What may be manageable for some, could be debilitating for others. Approaching others with that in mind, makes judgements less likely. Especially in regards to the treatment of illnesses, and their medications.

Most likely sinful.
Unless it is for hormone imbalance, my sister has something like that.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.