PayPal cancels plans for North Carolina operations center following Religious Freedom law

[quote=Engadget.com]The passing of HB2, a law that denies protections for people who are gay or transgender, is proving to be very expensive for Governor Pat McCrory and the state of North Carolina. In the weeks following Governor McCrory signing the anti-LGBT bill into law, a number of companies, production studios and even the federal government have spoken out against the legislation. Some are pulling money and business ventures from the state, and one of the most recent is PayPal. The financial transaction company announced plans to build a new operations center in Charlotte just before HB2 passed. Today, the company killed those plans, withdrawing the project that would’ve brought 400 new jobs to the area…]
Read more here: engadget.com/2016/04/05/paypal-north-carolina-ops-center-hb2/

[/quote]

The Pay Pal exec was one of 90 that signed a letter to the governor that described the law as ‘discriminatory’.

I would like to know in bullet-form what the exact and perceived discriminations are. These kinds of actions are coming so fast now that I want to know the facts and not get bullied into silence by show of force. Not debate, just facts.

This economic blackmail has happened before and will happen again. The will of the people of the state of North Carolina and their duly elected representatives will be overturned by the same cabal of CEOs and homosexual activists that overthrew the government of Indiana a few months ago when Indiana passed similar legislation.

I quit using PayPal for their political views years ago.

I believe this is the second time PayPal has tried to extort a state into adopting their political views

PayPal also will not allow Religious non-profits (which are not considered “churches” by the IRS) to use their credit card readers.

Such organizations have use Square or something else.

That raises another question, when do you think a corporation’s decisions are an exercise of their freedom and when do you think it is extortion? As far as I know PayPal has no duty to do business in North Carolina.

This world is going crazy!!!

They are welcome to do what the want as i am welcome to describe what it is they are doing. in my book threatening one with financial harm unless one acedes to their demands is extortion

:thumbsup:

Without a doubt, the SCOTUS will find this “law” does not pass the smell test.:rolleyes:

This country has gotten just a bit too obsessed with genitalia and doing whatever with said genitalia. Imagine, corporations with the maturity of potty-training toddlers. What next, economic blackmail for people who don’t want to cover their bottoms? :banghead:

How is it extortion? No financial harm comes to North Carolina if they don’t repeal this law. They won’t lose anything they don’t already have. Pay Pal will simply not do business there adding to their economy as they’ve stated. If North Carolina is willing to stand by their principles and is ok with not gaining the business of the NBA, Pay Pal, etc… then how is it extortion?

Indeed. No challenge from me to you on that here. I’m asking questions to get an understanding of your perspective. I’ve got no intention to challenge it.

Would that be said of all boycotts regardless of the cause?

Finances speak louder than words, and that is the most often used weapon in everyone’s arsenal.

Just like if Tide sponsors a television show that we object to, we stop buying their product. Again, financial impact. Boycott Disney because of their stance on Same Sex issues. Again, financial impact. etc. Aren’t we doing exactly what you are saying PayPal is doing?

We have to be smarter than our opponents. Before signing these kinds of bills, we need to find companies that are willing to come to our states, knowing that this legislation is in the works. Then if PayPal, or any other company decides to pull out, there is already a replacement.

In any case, I don’t think it is fair to call it extortion, when we do the same thing

Also, I am not defending PayPal, I’m just offering a different perspective.

Good. They were supposed to get ‘economic incentives’ which is just ripping off the taxpayers of North Carolina to give to these degenerate executives. Too bad the state can’t ban Pay Pal in NC.

I wouldn’t count on that. We’re not Indiana.

It is interesting that the same people that support PayPal often rail against organizations and corporations and their lobbying efforts.

PayPal is free to boycott North Carolina, though I am curious how the NC law actually affects PayPal and other businesses and states that are trying to boycott the law. (I actually think that the state governments that are boycotting are bad, because they have no business dictating which laws a another state passes, that does not affect their state). Since they can have any policy they want in their place of business.

NC has been offering super friendly tax incentives for businesses moving to their state, so they probably aren’t losing so much money, at least not in the short term.

Here’s the actual text of the bill:

ncleg.net/Sessions/2015E2/Bills/House/PDF/H2v1.pdf

It’s not that long, only 5 pages.

I would hardly classify paypal as an entity that people just can’t do without. My response to them boycotting any state would be the same…so? They could boycott themselves right out of existence and the world would hardly notice.:shrug:

The bill signed in North Carolina is obviously not the same but it still is curious that PayPal is willing to cancel job plans in North Carolina because of this bill, but PayPal does business in numerous countries which have the death penalty for homosexuals, and has anybody read about the people at PayPal speaking out in opposition to that penalty publicly, which obviously presumably they would oppose, or withdrawing business from those countries?

Here’s a tweet regarding some of the countries PayPal does business in: twitter.com/carolinacates/status/717407554381484032

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.