PayPal not much of a pal to Islam critics

PayPal not much of a pal to Islam critics
Chad Groening - OneNewsNow - 6/29/2010 6:00:00 AMTwo Islam watchdogs have terminated their relationships with a secure payment website after it tried to intimidate them for telling the truth about Islam.

Pamela Geller and Robert Spencer were using PayPal to collect secure donations for their websites, including Stop Islamization of America, the Freedom Defense Initiative ,and Geller's blog Atlas Shrugs. But PayPal began to restrict donators' ability to give to those websites because it apparently objected to the sites' content. Spencer reports that that did not sit well with readers of Atlas Shrugs.

"The readers started to write in to PayPal and canceled their accounts, and there was such an avalanche of angry e-mails that they received that ultimately they backed off and they notified us that they would restore the accounts," he reports.
onenewsnow.com/Culture/Default.aspx?id=1069032

A company should be able to refuse service to someone for whatever reason they choose.

I definatly disagree with Paypals reasoning for causing problems in the first place; however I strongly believe that they as a private company have the right to refuse service.

[quote="JohnDamian, post:2, topic:203682"]
A company should be able to refuse service to someone for whatever reason they choose.

I definatly disagree with Paypals reasoning for causing problems in the first place; however I strongly believe that they as a private company have the right to refuse service.

[/quote]

I also agree they have the right not to do business with anyone they want. But they are finding out those political decisions often have unwanted consequences. I don't like that they discriminated against a legal activity regardless of what that activity was. I could easily decide not to use their service just because they chose to be political regardless of which side of the political spectrum they are on.

[quote="JohnDamian, post:2, topic:203682"]

[/quote]

A company is not a company if they have no customers.I applaud those former customers with hurting that company where it hurts most, in it's wallet

Further evidence that boycotts work as the company reversed itself upon losing money.Principles or Mammon?Mammon every time.

Keep in mind who OWNS PayPal,** eBay**. PayPal has a long and dirty history of playing special rules only for eBay linked accounts. If you are going to boycott PayPal remind eBay where a large chunk of their income is generated, through mandatory (and draconian) PayPal only policies on eBay.

It appears PayPal is playing favorite "Pal" with islamic sympathisers and gun control lobbies.

He goes on to explain that he and Geller have now switched all their sites, including his own Jihad Watch, to G-Pal, which was created by pro-Second Amendment rights advocates who were upset with PayPal's discrimination against guns.

Regardless of this, I found out a long time ago they are definitely a very corrupt company. Do yourselves all a favor and stay away from using them if you can avoid it.

[quote="exoflare, post:6, topic:203682"]
Regardless of this, I found out a long time ago they are definitely a very corrupt company. Do yourselves all a favor and stay away from using them if you can avoid it.

[/quote]

I'm not disagreeing with you at all but could you expand a little as I use Paypal for cd purchases drom ebay-is there alternatives.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.