PBS Frontline Suicide Story

I am really amazed by the feedback I read on the Frontline website about the story on assisted suicide. If you did not see it, maybe save yourself the time, but if you did, what is your take on this? I personally feel that our lives are a gift, and a "gift" cannot be taken. If someone can claim they created themselves, then they should be able to take their own life when and how they want to. I, knowing that I have a creator, must wait until He decides. The story on PBS sickened me.

If I were suffering with this, or something similar, this scenario would have a lot of appeal.

I saw this horrible program. It made me sick.

Here is some information about the show, for those of us who missed it:

“I am dying. … There is no sense in trying to deny that fact,” 59-year-old Craig Ewert says of his rapid deterioration just months after being diagnosed with ALS, a motor neuron disorder often referred to as Lou Gehrig’s disease.

“I’m not tired of living,” explains Ewert, a retired computer science professor. “I’m tired of the disease, but I’m not tired of living. And I still enjoy it enough that I’d like to continue. But the thing is that I really can’t.”

FRONTLINE presents The Suicide Tourist, airing Tuesday, March 2, 2010, at 9-10pm on WGBH 2. Directed by Academy Award-winning filmmaker John Zaritsky, the film is a portrait of Ewert’s final days as the Chicago native pursues a physician-assisted suicide in the one place where it’s legal for foreigners to come to end their lives: Switzerland. With unique access to Dignitas, the Swiss nonprofit that has helped more than 1,000 people die since 1998, The Suicide Tourist follows Ewert as he debates the morality—and confronts the reality—of choosing to die before his disease further ravages his body, and he loses the option to die without unbearable suffering.

pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/suicidetourist/etc/synopsis.html

And here is the PBS website for the show, which you can watch online in its entirety.
pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/suicidetourist/

i did see part of this program the other evening and found it very disturbing. i did not see the beginning, so i did not know what the man had.

when i tuned in, he had arrived at the facility and they were explaining to him the process of what would happen and how they had to videotape it so that the swiss authorities would know that he volunarily did the actions that resulted in his suicide.

i also thought it was sickening. the man was determined to follow through.

the man who assisted him in the process sort of bothered me. i would think after awhile, it would be depressing. i felt sorry for the wife because she was left alone and i wonder how she felt about the decision her husband had made. he seemed like an intelligent man.

i don;t think i could sit there and watch my spouse or relative do what he did to bring about his death. i would be begging the person not to take the drink.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.