PBS' 'Live' Fireworks Aren't, and the Network Hears It From Viewers

NBC News:

PBS’ ‘Live’ Fireworks Aren’t, and the Network Hears It From Viewers

PBS was pummeled on social media after it acknowledged having spliced in video of previous years’ Washington, D.C., fireworks in its live “A Capitol Fourth” broadcast Monday night. Hundreds of viewers complained on the annual show’s Twitter and Facebook pages that the fireworks display couldn’t be live because the images were in clear weather:

Washington, however, was heavily overcast and foggy Monday night — which was readily apparent as the pyrotechnics faded into dense clouds:

About 10 p.m. ET, the show’s Facebook and Twitter pages acknowledged that the supposedly “live” show was, in fact, " a combination of the best fireworks from this year and previous years."

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

How about a blend of the best headlines from the past four years?

This is a sign of the times. We live in an age where we are trending towards virtual experience as being more satisfying that actual experience.

This should be the worst of our problems.

:sad_yes:

Well heqq! What else could they have done?

Nature always has the last word.

ICXC NIKA

And no Tchaikovsky 1812 Overture from the Boston Pops.

I knew it! I don’t care so much, but they should should have put a caption on the screen.

Interesting. We get 4 newspapers at work. One of my favorite pastimes while getting coffee is to mentally (and sometimes out loud) paste together headlines from more than newspaper. You can really get some gems.

Blessings,
Stephie

I guess that they had to show something to please the viewers.

But why? They are not ad supported so losing viewers for an evening shouldn’t hurt them. Maybe they thought showing the real event with clouds and all would make viewers feel they were delivering an inferior product.

Maybe in future networks could let viewers vote for their favorite fireworks display by year and city.

It was an inferior product. I watched the show and the “live” fireworks went straight into the cloud cover and turned the sky into weird shades of red and green, it was kinda creepy. :whacky: Actually, the fake fireworks was the best part of the show, the musical program was quite uninspiring and boring for a national birthday party. :cake: Better luck next year PBS.

I assume that they didn’t want the viewers to be disappointed by an inferior product.

Does anyone remember a Microsoft screen saver that looked like fireworks from about 15 or so years ago? :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.