PBS Special - Tomb of Jesus

Did anyone see this last night? It was on Detroit PBS. It was surprisingly Catholic in its view, DH and I were quite surprised. Though it was a bit disapointing in the end (they obviously can’t tear the thing apart to see inside), on the whole it was fascinating to watch and learn the history of the Tomb.

I highly recommend it if it comes on in your area. :thumbsup:

~Liza

I saw it last night and I thought it was well done. Last week’s episode was on the Shroud of Turin and it was excellent. This is PBS Secrets of the Dead series.

Saw it too. It came in across the lake from Buffalo on WNED channel 17. Thought it was well done. Certainly a lot better than Cameron’s attempt.

emp

I saw an encore showing last night. What a great special! For those who may have missed it, this article provides an overview:

pbs.org/wnet/secrets/case_tomb/index.html%between%

Long story short: When the Emporer Costantine had the earth beneath the Pagan temple removed, the solid rock of Christ’s tomb remained, then covered by the original edicule to protect it. Over the years when the edicule needed restoration the original edicule was not removed, rather a new one built over it… and later another over it and so on, like nested Russian eggs. Four edicules, the latest build in 1810, now cover the tomb of Christ and the rock portions of the cave-like tomb may still be intact beneath all of them; just as the rock of Calvary is still today visable under glass panels in the nearby chapel.

When the 1810-built edicule needs restoration in the near future, it may be possible to uncover the previous three edicules and expose the actual rock of Christ’s tomb itself.

I have to say that I’m a bit leary of the next program in the series regarding where did the Bible come from. The ads for it don’t look very accurate, DH nearly fell off the couch on some comment they made about monks, can’t recall exactly what it was at this moment, but he did say that they were totally wrong. But we both agreed that it needs to be seen in the context of the entire show to be sure.

Good series so far though!

~Liza

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.