Peace hymns after the sign of peace, before the Agnus Dei

Usually in my parish after the sign of peace, a peace hymn will be sung. Hymns like Make me as channel of your peace, give me peace o Lord I pray, etc. Is this permitted?

No, unless South Africa has a special indult for such a thing, which I doubt. Hymns may not just be inserted in any part of the Mass one feels like.

No, unless there is a special permission, but I would doubt it.

I’ve been at masses where this is done to allow additional time for congregants to convey the sign of peace to one another. This was done nicely at our wedding and the presiding priest was a canon lawyer and very conservative.

They do this at my parish too. They even have one for when the wee ones go to Children’s liturgy. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, that turns an optional minor rite into something it was never meant to be.

1. The Rite of Peace follows, by which the Church asks for peace and unity for herself and for the whole human family, and the faithful express to each other their ecclesial communion and mutual charity before communicating in the Sacrament.

As for the sign of peace to be given, the manner is to be established by Conferences of Bishops in accordance with the culture and customs of the peoples. It is, however, appropriate that each person offer the sign of peace only to those who are nearest and in a sober manner.

Fair enough, but I will hold on to the fact that appropriate is not synonymous with mandatory and that it does not imply no exceptions. Weddings and smaller more intimate Masses like those on retreats might make suitable exceptions.

But if you do that you make the Sign of Peace more important than the Fraction Rite and that is not right. Nowhere, in any document is there an option to accompany the Rite of Peace with a hymn or any singing.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.