Peace..

Hi Everyone.
I thought I would try something interesting.
A thread we can all contribute to, with no arguments and fighting.
I know, this sounds crazy… but thought i would give it a try.
My question to you is.
What religion are you, and what peace does your religion give you?
How does being part of your religion make you feel?
Also why you think its right.
And in saying that, everyone has their own opinions, so please try to not jump on anyone for giving their reasons for their beliefs.

Well, ill start…
obviously im catholic
The reason I will always remain catholic is because of what Jesus did for us, what he taught us and the love he gave us, and shown us the love God has for us, and how powerful that love is.
The fact that God loves us so much gives me peace that I need and that he gave his only son for us, well, words cannot express that.
I love being a catholic, always will be! :thumbsup:

Hi
The name of my religion is Islam which means Peace.
Thanks

The West, as I understand, due to certain misinformation has seen only MullahIslam or MullahShariah; the true face of peaceful and human loving Muhammad and his religion Islam and Islam of PromisedMessiahImamMahdi is yet hidden from their eyes, which is truly speaking moral and peaceful.

I thought islam meant submission??
:confused:

Hi
True Peace comes through submission to the will of GodAllahYHWH; it has both the meaning.
Thanks

Oh ok, I thought you meant Islam actually meant peace…
As in the meaning of the word…

Actually the root (s-l-m) means both.

I am a member of the Society of Friends. I have remained a Friend for over 30 years because of the experience of the Light of Chirst in Meeting. When I center in the Light, peace engufs me. the mystical experience coupled with a practical way of living with it’s focus on the sacredness…the sacramental aspect of life and service has meant a lot to me.

The focus on the Real Presence of Christ in Meeting…that he is truly present among his people is one of the “tenets” of Friends that have gripped my soul.

I truly believe this is where God has directed me and where He wants me to be…to seek to put oneself in the center of God’s will is a lifelong disipline…but very rewarding.

I am an Ardent Pantheist.
The greatest source of peace from my faith stems from my knowing it is not about ME, and that the Divine is large enough, powerful enough to deal with all things, and that all things are of and under the power of the Divine.

It makes me feel humble and awed and safe.

I think it is right because nothing I have experienced has been counter to my faith, or called it into question.

cheddar

I have no religion; I’m agnostic.

I do not know if there is such a thing as the divine, and have realized the futility of trying to answer the question. Some things we just can’t understand, and I’ve made my peace with the idea of Mystery.

I realized also that there is most likely only this world, and only a short time to do anything – and that the best use of this time is in the service of others. There’s no point in living solely for yourself when you’ll be gone in a matter of decades. I have nothing to look forward to, whether in anticipation or trepidation, when I die, and I’m okay with that. I don’t want to live forever; I want to grow old with my loved ones and slip peacefully away.

I think I’m right because I do not feel faith, and because there are no satisfactory rational arguments for or against God’s existence. I don’t doubt that I could find myself both religious and at peace, if I ever happened upon true faith; but I am at peace now as well.

Also, Publisher, I wanted to let you know that if not for that little detail of ‘not being able to believe’, you’d likely have made a Quaker of me already. You’re probably the best evangelist and apologist on the board, and you’re not even trying to make converts :smiley:

Hi
I like your post; a free expression of your state of mind .
Thanks

Figures it dies in nine :frowning:

Come on, people, suspending the bickering can’t be that hard!

Also thanks, paarsurrey :slight_smile:

Thank you, in my times of “unbelief” and doubt…the Silence “speaks to me”…there are “agnostics” at my Friend’s Meeting…and I think we even have a self proclaimed “athiest”.:slight_smile:

You see, you are in Good Hands already.

What religion are you, and what peace does your religion give you? I am a Catholic Christian in the Latin Rite. At various times I have felt an extreme peace which I personally feel is part of the fulfillment of Phil 4:

6 Have no anxiety about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which passes all understanding, will keep your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

These times have been when I have been at prayer before the Blessed Sacrament, or in meditation while praying a decade of the Rosary, or while the Eucharist is still on my tongue. One instance in particular was while praying about a personal issue before an Icon of St. Joseph.

How does being part of your religion make you feel? Sometimes I feel quite conflicted; especially when my own desire is contrary to Church teaching. Then I have the pain of researching Church teaching and then making the conscious decision of letting that teaching molds my conscience. I then have to change, which for me isn’t so easy.

Why you think its right. I think I am right in following this faith because I have looked at the claims of the Catholic Church in the light of historical Christianity. She is what she claims. My goal is to draw nearer to God. To do so I felt (and still feel) I had to do that in the way He set up, even if that way is hard (er).

I am a Catholic because Christianity is the only religion that viably explains the “turtle on a fencepost” character of the universe we live in, and evinces transcendence of the boundaries of time as a physical property of our universe.

I am a Christian because the Bible has a better record of fulfilled prophecy than any other source, including the Mayan and Hopi prophecies and leaving the daily horoscope in the dust. I am a Christian because when I was an atheist I noticed that in adversity Christians had more inner dignity than anyone else. I am a Christian because I have observed more miracles in Christianity than magic or luck in any other belief system I have tried. I am a Christian because the early believers proclaimed their faith in the face of torture, loneliness, demotion and brutal execution. I am a Christian because I tried the rest and now I have found the best.
The peace it gives me is the peace of forgiving my enemies at last, the peace of knowing the universe is in the hands of someone who loves me and died for me, the peace of knowing that I have guidance from someone who can never make a mistake, the peace of having a way to cleanse myself of all my sins, the peace of facing even death without fear.
It makes me feel relieved and energized and inspired. I have never felt so much love. :extrahappy:

Why must we keep putting up with the taqiyya here? Even Muslims themselves know this isn’t really true…

usc.edu/dept/MSA/notislam/misconceptions.html#HEADING1

Misconception 1

*Islam is `the religion of peace’ because: [LIST][LIST]
*]the Arabic word Islam is derived from the Arabic word “Al-Salaam” which means peace.
[/LIST][/LIST]*It might seem strange to think of this as a misconception, but in fact it is. The root word of Islam is “al-silm” which means “submission” or “surrender.” It is understood to mean “submission to Allah.” In spite of whatever noble intention has caused many a Muslim to claim that Islam is derived primarily from peace, this is not true. Allah says in the Qur’an (translated):
**[2:136] Say (O Muslims): We believe in Allah and that which is revealed to us and that which was revealed to Abraham, and Ishmael, and Isaac, and Jacob, and the tribes, and that which Moses and Jesus received, and that which the prophets received from their Lord. We make no distinction between any of them, and to Him we have surrendered. [Arabic “Muslimoon”]**A secondary root of Islam may be “Al-Salaam” (peace), however the text of the Qur’an makes it clear that Allah has clearly intended the focus of this way of life to be submission to Him. This entails submission to Him at all times, in times of peace, war, ease, or difficulty.

Sorry to have to derail the thread there. People can give their opinions all they want, but I won’t stand by while they attempt to spread blatant falsehoods.

I believe in God because of the way He has personally affected me in my life. And I am a Catholic because of the historical connection to Jesus and the evidence that the Catholic Church is the true church of God. Once I came to terms with that it’s hard to ever turn away.

Mark

Now please explain to us what the muslim refrain “allah akbar” really means as the arabic word for “great” is kabir.

i like the connection i feel as a christian and especially a catholic to all the other christians who have ever been alive in every place and at every time (aka the communion of saints), including my grandfather, who has departed this earth but is very alive in my memory.

this and the witnessing of the eucharist every sunday at mass bring me peace.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.