Peaceful Buddhists interrupt Christian Funeral

Could I find the thread that talked about how peaceful Buddhists are, I would post this story there.

Pakistan: Christians Pressed as Military Battles Taliban

Noticias

Índice de noticias

Archivo Noticiero

Pakistán: Abogado Amenaza Matar a Cristiano Acusado de ‘Blasfemia’

Kenia: Pastor Golpeado en la Frontera de Somaliland

Egipto: Destrucción de Cerdos Amenaza Industria Dirigida por Coptos

Vietnam: Supuesto Asesino de Cristiana Da Otro Golpe

Arabia Saudita: ‘Bloguero’ Cristiano Liberado

Subscribe

What is RSS ?

About us

Contact us

Friday May 22, 2009
BANGLADESH: BUDDHIST CREMATION RITE FORCED ON CHRISTIANS
Villagers demand money, compel mourners to chant Buddhist mantras.

DHAKA, Bangladesh, May 21 (Compass Direct News) – Buddhist villagers in southeastern Bangladesh forced Christians to participate in a Buddhist cremation rite for a deceased family member last weekend and demanded money for a post-funeral ceremony.

Uttam Lal Chakma, 55, died last Friday (May 15) after a long illness in Dighinala sub-district of Khagrachari hill district, some 400 kilometers (250 miles) southeast of Dhaka. A member of Mynasukhnachari Baptist Church in the Babuchara neighborhood, Chakma had converted from Buddhism to Christianity two years ago.

Pastor Vubon Chakma and Christian villagers sought to give him a Christian burial the next day, but a hostile group of local Buddhists forcibly stopped them from doing so, according to a local Christian source.

The source told Compass that a member of the Buddhist group told family members, “He was born as a Buddhist, and he will be buried as a Buddhist.”

Local Buddhists prohibited the Christian burial at the behest of the village committee chairman, the source said.

“Forcefully they cremated him by wood log and forced other Christians who were present there to utter Buddha mantras,” the source said.

Christian villagers subsequently requested that they be allowed to bury the charred bones. They dug a grave and were praying and reading Bible verses when Buddhist villagers, some of them drunk, arrived and brought the ceremony to a halt.

“They said to the Christians, ‘You cannot read the Bible here,” the church source said, requesting that the names of the Buddhist leaders be withheld for security reasons.

One of the senior pastors of the Babuchara Baptist church, 60-year-old Pitambar Chakma, tried to reason with the enraged Buddhists, but they confined him and Vubon Chakma for the night.

The source added that they demanded 12,000 taka ($US177) to hold a post-funeral ceremony today, to which they planned to invite more than 250 Buddhists, including their local monk.

“They threatened that if we do not give it before May 21, we have to give them 24,000 taka, twice as much as they wanted,” the source said. “They also threatened if 12,000 taka is not given to them, pastor Vubon Chakma and his father will be evicted from the society. This is a sign of unremitting hostility toward Christians by Buddhists.”

At press time the amount had not been given, but the area Buddhists had taken no action, the source said.

The village Buddhists also protested when Christians constructed a church building eight months ago, he said.

“Always they force all the people here to become Buddhist and males to shave their heads,” he said.

Besides threats of expulsion, local Buddhists have also disparaged Christian converts in foul language, and there have been instances of torture, the source said, adding that there are 22 Christians in the area.

“We have no one to complain to about them,” the church source said. “If we protest against them, it is dangerous because they have links with an underground armed group. If we inform the administration or law enforcement agencies, they do not help us because of our conversion.”

The local Buddhists have ties with United People’s Democratic Front (UPDF) militants who oppose a 1997 peace accord between the government and the tribal people. The hill tract areas had suffered unrest for decades, and hostilities continue as a leading proponent of the peace accord urged the government to ban UPDF for alleged terrorist activities, according to today’s The Daily Prothom Alo.

END

Disgusting, but praise the Lord! God’s people survive under the hardest conditions because Jesus warned us that we would be prosecuted and we are well armed against prosecution with the peace and love that God taught us.

Philippians 4:6-7 (New International Version)

6Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Regarding cremation, it is allowed so long as it is not done in such a manner that shows disbelief in the general resurrection. Buddhism dose not teach about a resurrection, so forcing Christians to take part in a Buddhist cremation is quite offensive. It is much more offensive, though, that these Buddhists ignored this diseased individual’s own love for Jesus Christ.

Those Buddhists, always causin’ trouble.:rolleyes:

[size=1]I rather doubt that a member, of any group, wishes his/her beliefs
to be soley evaluated - on the basis of the behavior of some members of the group
who do not live up to that required. Noxious behavior is not limited to any one group.

St. Francis of Assisi is a better ‘model’ of Christian belief and practice,
than were some of his fellow Christians, across time.

Surely, the monk Tetsugen is a finer exemplar of Buddist practice
and thought than some of his fellow practioners, again, across time.

I suppose that Tetsugen might be though of as a saint -
in the sense that Christ described - when He said that
some would say to Him "But Lord, I never knew You."
And Jesus said that those who loved others, and
cared for them, were to be part of His Kingdom, too.

Come, ye blessed of My Kingdom,
For I was hungry and you gave Me to eat,
I was ill, and you cared for Me.

Tetsugen dearly wished to have the Buddhist sutras printed
in the Japanese language. It took him years to collect
donations to have the sutras printed. Just as he had
a sufficient sum, a river overflowed, causing great hunger.
Tetsugen spent the funds in buying food for the people.

For additional years, Tetsugen collected funds, and
as he prepared to have the sutras published,
an epidemic broke out - and once again Tetsugen
provided the funds to care for those who were ill.

Finally, after many more years, Tetsugen had the funds.

The sutras were published in the Japanese language.

Explore Maureen Gaus

It is said that Tetsugen made 3 sets of sutras…and that the
first two sets are more revered than the last.

Surely, Tetsugen -perhaps to his amazement -
found himself in the eternal presence of Him Who values
genuine charity above all other virtues.

Taking into account Christian doctrine - was
Tetsugen one of the 'last, who shall be first?"
One who knew not Christ, in his sojourn on earth,
yet finds himself near the head of the table.

“Come up higher, friend.”

reen12
[/size]

Oy! Oy! Oy! I am shocked indeed. It certain give the Buddhists a big black eye. Unless they would not really be Buddhists, but some people claiming to be Buddhists but obeying more to anti-religion tenets?

It certainly LOOKS embarrassing indeed! :bigyikes::sad_yes::crying::signofcross::blackeye::console::hug1::harp::grouphug:

Certainly this calls for our prayers, at least a novena! Lord, have mercy! Christ, have mercy! Lord, have mercy!

Stories like these STILL make me proud to be an American.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.