Peaceful islamic passages..

Hi everyone!

I’ve been searching around and have found a lot of useful threads countering Islam - but can anyone provide me with any passages that might RECONCILE christians and muslims??

I know for us, we consider God to be Our Father - so we are obligated to be kind and loving to other’s as they are our brother/sisters…I don’t believe they see things the same way :blush: .

If anyone could provide me with any scripture or hadith that might be an olive branch to extend I’d appreciate it, thank you all peace and God bless :love:

It’s not a matter if they see things in same way or not, the problem is in the dogma itself, how you want them to discard that and make a personal opinion!, if that is the case then that shall not be called Islam any more…

However, :blessyou: for your efforts in that, that shows how Christians love others and try to reconcile with them in any possible way…

There are many statements in the Qur’an that promote tolerance towards People of the Book. For example:

And do not dispute with the followers of the Book except by what is best, except those of them who act unjustly, and say: We believe in that which has been revealed to us and revealed to you, and our God and your God is One, and to Him do we submit.… [Qur’an 29:46]

In other places the Qur’an says:

**Not all of them are alike; a party of the people of the Scripture stand for the right, they recite the Verses of God during the hours of the night, prostrating themselves in prayer. They believe in God and the Last Day; they enjoin Al-Ma’rûf and forbid Al-Munkar ; and they hasten in (all) good works; and they are among the righteous. And whatever good they do, nothing will be rejected of them; for God knows well those who are Al-Muttaqûn **… [Qur’an 3:113-115]

And there are, certainly, among the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians), those who believe in God and in that which has been revealed to you, and in that which has been revealed to them, humbling themselves before God. They do not sell the Verses of God for a little price, for them is a reward with their Lord. Surely, God is Swift in account.… [Qur’an 3:199]
Verily! Those who believe and those who are Jews and Christians, and Sabians, whoever believes in God and the Last Day and do righteous good deeds shall have their reward with their Lord, on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.**… [Qur’an 2:62]

Say (O Muhammad ): "O people of the Scripture : Come to a word that is just between us and you, that we worship none but God, and that we associate no partners with Him, and that none of us shall take others as lords besides God.… [Qur’an 3:64]

Awesome! Thank you! So much :slight_smile:

@ hamba - It is - ‘I’m still searching for this word’ - against their law, for them to be unkind to someone who is kind to them? Or to not accept peace, a peace offering? Is there any verse like that?

As for such [of the unbelievers] as do not fight against you on account of [your] faith, and neither drive you forth from your homelands, God does not forbid you to show them kindness and to behave towards them with full equity: for, verily, God loves those who act equitably. … [Qur’an, 60:8]

God only forbids you to turn in friendship towards such as fight against you because of [your] faith, and drive you forth from your homelands, or aid [others] in driving you forth: and as for those [from among you] who turn towards them in friendship; it is they, they who are truly wrongdoers. … (Qur’an, 60:9)

Charlotte,

I suggest you read about the abrogated verses in Quran, where the peaceful verses during Mecca time (prior to Madina immigration) have been replaced by the jihad verses during Madina time, Link.

For those who are claiming that the latter Madinah verses in the Qur’an have abrogated the earlier and supposedly more “peaceful” Makkah verses, then kindly take note that the verses in chapters 2, 3 and 60 of the Qur’an which I have quoted in my previous posts in this thread were all revealed in Madinah.

Hamba2han-

Why, then, in Islamic countries of a majority, are Christians treated like 2nd class citizens?

If the true Islamic way is totally peace, why do much violence?

Who ever said every verse in Medina was violent and every verse in Mecca peaceful?

There is a very hypocritical disparity in Islamic philosophy (as you present it) and actual reality of the way these tenets are implemented.

What say you?

I was reading the islamic tafsir backgroun on this passage. It was revealed in the 5th year of Mohamads ministry.

In the 5th year of prophethood, when this persecution reached its peak, the Holy Prophet advised his followers to migrate to Habash known as Abyssinia at the time, to gain protection. Abyssinia is now called Ethiopia. At that time, the king of Abyssinia was a Christian king called Negasus.

madressa.net

It should be noted that a little below in this Surah the people are being exhorted to migrate. At that time Habash was the only place of safety to which the Muslims could migrate, and Habash in those days was under the domination of the Christians. Therefore, in these verses the Muslims are being instructed as to how they should argue and discuss matters concerning religion with the people of the Book when such an occasion arises.

searchtruth.com/tafsir/tafsir.php?chapter=29

So, yeah, it makes sense. The muslims are leaving the area and now seeking protection from the Christians. Of course the verse will be warm & fuzzy. It’s only his 5th year.

Now let’s see what he does on his 9th year after he got powerful.

The famous 9-29

Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book, until they pay the Jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued.

In order to enable the Muslims to extend the influence of Islam outside Arabia, they were enjoined to crush with sword the non- Muslim powers and to force them to accept the sovereignty of the Islamic State. As the great Roman and Iranian Empires were the biggest hindrances in the way, a conflict with them was inevitable.

The object of Jihad was not to coerce them to accept Islam they were free to accept or not to accept it-but to prevent them from thrusting forcibly their deviations upon others and the coming generations. The Muslims were enjoined to tolerate their misguidance only to the extent that they might have the freedom to remain misguided, if they chose to be so, provided that they paid Jizyah (v. 29) as a sign of their subjugation to the Islamic State.
searchtruth.com/tafsir/tafsir.php?chapter=9

Though the people of the Book professed to believe in Allah and the Hereafter, in fact they believed in neither. For only that person really believes in Allah who acknowledges Him as the only One God and the only One Lord, and does not associate with Him any other, whatsoever, in His Being, in His characteristics, in His rights and in His powers and authority. But according to this definition of shirk both the Christians and the Jews were guilty of shirk as has been made plain in the verses that follow: therefore their profession of belief in Allah was meaningless.

Likewise they did not really believe in the Hereafter, in spite of the fact that they believed in Resurrection. For it is not enough: one must also believe that on that Day absolute justice will be done on the basis of one’s belief and actions. One should also believe that no ransom and no expiation and no ‘spiritual’ relationships with any ‘saint’ shall be of any avail on that Day.

It is absolutely meaningless to believe in the Hereafter without this. And the Jews and the Christians had polluted their faiths because they believed that such things would protect them against justice on that Day.

The second reason why Jihad should be waged against them is drat they did not adopt the Law sent down by Allah through His Messenger.

searchtruth.com/tafsir/tafsir.php?chapter=9

Beautiful!! Christians actually believe in one God too! The Trinity is three persons in one God, like a shamrock!:shamrock2:

Muslims do not believe in the Trinity.

They don’t believe in The Father, The Son & The Holy Spirit.

They think we are polytheists. They think we are Mormons. :smiley:

I don’t know about if they think we are Mormons… :smiley: -

but we are polytheists to them because they do not understand The Father, The Son & The Holy Spirit cause their koran book tells them that Allah did not have a Son…

Yet, The Trinity is difficult to understand for us, but God is beyond definition because of our human failings. Muslims can understand that much. The Mormons have an anthropomorphized God, which is a blasphemy according to Islam. Did you ever look at the resemblances between the stories of the writing of the Qu’ran and the BoM? :shrug:

If you read about Joseph Smith, he is quoted as saying something like he is modeling himself as Mohamad.

That much is obvious. Except that Muhammad’s early writings were a distinct improvement over the culture where he lived.

Mumhammads early writings - do you mean what his scribes wrote on parchment, bones, rocks & leaves… …??

Well, you know what I mean-- the story sort of changes a lot. :wink:

Now, quiet. I am reading the Qu’ran-- better than the BoM and D&C, by a mile. :cool:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.