Pectoral Cross of Pope Francis

Was anyone intrigued by the pectoral cross of Pope Francis?

Some news sources revealed it is the same pectoral cross he has always worn as a bishop.

I was lucky enough to find a couple of close-zoom frames in a video about this morning’s visit to pay homage to Our Lady.

http://forums.catholic.com/picture.php?albumid=2066&pictureid=14779

The structure is very simple and sober. We see the Good Shepherd carrying on His shoulders the lost sheep. Behind him is the flock. On top, the Holy Spirit in the form of a dove.

On the very top is some heavenly figure, but I can’t quite tell who it may be.

http://forums.catholic.com/picture.php?albumid=2066&pictureid=14780

Pope Francis' crucifix

If it is the cross he wore as a bishop, it is a good indication that Pope Francis will think of himself more as a bishop’s Bishop, and a Bishop to the Church, rather than as a Cardinal or Pope of the Curia and of the Church.

Evidently, this seems to be supported by referring to Emeritus Pope Benedict as ‘bishop’, and himself as ‘bishop’ yesterday.

[quote="mercytruth, post:2, topic:318591"]
If it is the cross he wore as a bishop, it is a good indication that Pope Francis will think of himself more as a bishop's Bishop, and a Bishop to the Church, rather than as a Cardinal or Pope of the Curia and of the Church.

Evidently, this seems to be supported by referring to Emeritus Pope Benedict as 'bishop', and himself as 'bishop' yesterday.

[/quote]

This may be geared towards outreach to the Eastern Orthodox churches and taking steps towards unity, no?

I know Pope Francis is very in tune and has a lot of background with the Orthodox Churches.

God bless.

-Paul

I'd like a small version of that to wear on a chain inside my shirt. Does anyone know where such a cross might be sold?

[quote="PJD1987, post:3, topic:318591"]
This may be geared towards outreach to the Eastern Orthodox churches and taking steps towards unity, no?

I know Pope Francis is very in tune and has a lot of background with the Orthodox Churches.

God bless.

-Paul

[/quote]

I did hear last night that he comes from, or is close to the Eastern church. The Orthodox Church came to mind right away. I do hope both Churches come together and unite. That would be such a delight for us here and in heaven.

[quote="DexUK, post:4, topic:318591"]
I'd like a small version of that to wear on a chain inside my shirt. Does anyone know where such a cross might be sold?

[/quote]

At this time not likely anywhere in such a form.

Pectoral Crosses are sold as such and usually do not have small versions of them available.

So I doubt you will find one...as I have never been able to find what I have sought..

I have sought and sought for a cross modeled after Pope Benedict XVI's staff-cross (I know there is a name for it but it escapes me) and have found none....so if anyone knows such let me know

[quote="PJD1987, post:3, topic:318591"]

God bless.

-Paul

[/quote]

May God's will be done that His true church be one, as our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ did pray.

God's peace

[quote="mercytruth, post:2, topic:318591"]
If it is the cross he wore as a bishop, it is a good indication that Pope Francis will think of himself more as a bishop's Bishop, and a Bishop to the Church, rather than as a Cardinal or Pope of the Curia and of the Church.

Evidently, this seems to be supported by referring to Emeritus Pope Benedict as 'bishop', and himself as 'bishop' yesterday.

[/quote]

Oh yes, he seems to be very much in love with the dignity of the Bishop, without emphasis on the title "pope" given to the Bishop of Rome. Someplace else we discussed how he chose not to wear the red mozzetta typical of the newly elected Pope, nor did he put on the Papal stole except for the Apostolic Blessing. Notice how he spoke of Benedict XVI as "Bishop Emeritus", how he referred to himself as the bishop of Rome, how he emphasized that the Church of Rome presides in charity (employing the language of the Church Fathers).

And did you catch his very first statement?

You all know that the duty of the Conclave was to give a bishop to Rome.

True, but it's a wonderful way to put it, to emphasize that the light is on the Episcopal See of the Bishop of Rome, not on the title of Pope.

Notice furthermore how he says:

I thank you for the welcome that has come from the diocesan community of Rome

but then he says

let us begin this journey, the Bishop and people, this journey of the Church of Rome, which presides in charity over all the Churches

And the most impressive (to me) remarks:

My hope is that this journey of the Church that we begin today ...] be fruitful for the evangelization of this beautiful city. ...] Tomorrow I want to go to pray the Madonna, that she may protect Rome.

And indeed he prayed today before the Salus Populi Romani (the sacred Marian image displayed in St. Mary Major Basilica), the "Protectress of the Roman People", and a Byzantine icon of the Madonna and Child reputed to date to the Early Christian era.

Pope Francis has very clear ideas in mind, and I am overwhelmed by the profoundness of every word, and of how one phrase relates to the other.

[quote="R_C, post:1, topic:318591"]

On the very top is some heavenly figure, but I can't quite tell who it may be.

http://forums.catholic.com/picture.php?albumid=2066&pictureid=14780

[/quote]

To me, from that very fuzzy zoomed image, it looks like the cross with the linens draped over it?

[quote="R_C, post:8, topic:318591"]
Oh yes, he seems to be very much in love with the dignity of the Bishop, without emphasis on the title "pope" given to the Bishop of Rome. Someplace else we discussed how he chose not to wear the red mozzetta typical of the newly elected Pope, nor did he put on the Papal stole except for the Apostolic Blessing. Notice how he spoke of Benedict XVI as "Bishop Emeritus", how he referred to himself as the bishop of Rome, how he emphasized that the Church of Rome presides in charity (employing the language of the Church Fathers).

And did you catch his very first statement?

True, but it's a wonderful way to put it, to emphasize that the light is on the Episcopal See of the Bishop of Rome, not on the title of Pope.

Notice furthermore how he says:

but then he says

And the most impressive (to me) remarks:

Pope Francis has very clear ideas in mind, and I am overwhelmed by the profoundness of every word, and of how one phrase relates to the other.

[/quote]

So true, so inspiring and so hopeful are these few words from our 'Shepherd' Francis

Blessed be God.

I've been looking as well ... it looks like it might be one of Egino Weinert's, along the motif of The Good Shepherd.

[quote="Bookcat, post:6, topic:318591"]

I have sought and sought for a cross modeled after Pope Benedict XVI's staff-cross (I know there is a name for it but it escapes me) and have found none....so if anyone knows such let me know

[/quote]

The pastoral staff used by Pope-emeritus Benedict XVI is known as a ferula.

annunciations.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/piusxii.jpg

Could also be by Christoph Fischbach (Maria Laach) ... if he's had it for a long time, then it might no longer be available, or it could have been a custom design by either of these two sculptors.

The figure at the very top, above the Holy Spirit, is a separate piece, the "bail" to hold the cross onto the chain. Given his devotion to Mary, it might be an image of her, as on the centerpiece of a rosary.

[quote="tbtcom1213, post:12, topic:318591"]
The pastoral staff used by Pope-emeritus Benedict XVI is known as a ferula.

annunciations.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/piusxii.jpg

[/quote]

:)

If you find me a cross replica -- you get 3 smiles .....

I read in one report in the UK press (sorry, I have read so many in the last 24hrs that I cannot remember which one :o ) that he has had the cross since he became a Bishop in 1992 and that it is made out of base white metal.

It lacks a proper Papal dignity.

Great find, Thank you for sharing!

[quote="Kevin812, post:17, topic:318591"]

[/quote]

:rolleyes:

[quote="Kevin812, post:17, topic:318591"]

[/quote]

I agree completely. I noted on another thread (after someone commented that it was like one that St. Peter would have worn): We as a Church are no longer so persecuted that it should behoove the King of the Apostles and Supreme Pontiff to hide elegance. I suppose it is just an abrupt change from Benedict XVI.

I am willing to adjust but I was pretty much raised seeing Benedict XVI, I was ten or so when he was Elected so I've only seen Benedict XVI's grace with elegance. Francis, however, seems to have a more simple grace.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.