Pelosi Says Her Catholic Faith ‘Compels’ Her To Support Gay Marriage

(CNSNews.com) — House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said Thursday that her Catholic faith “compels” her to “be against discrimination of any kind” and thus for same-sex marriage.

A reporter asked Pelosi: “Many of the people that are opposed to gay marriage cite their religion as the reason why they’re opposed. You’re a Catholic that supports gay marriage. Do you believe that religion and the idea that you can support gay marriage can be separated? And how do you grapple with the idea that you support gay marriage as a Catholic?”

Pelosi responded: “My religion has, compels me — and I love it for it — to be against discrimination of any kind in our country, and I consider this a form of discrimination. I think it’s unconstitutional on top of that. ”

Read more: nation.foxnews.com/nancy-pelosi/2012/05/10/pelosi-says-her-catholic-faith-compels-her-support-gay-marriage#ixzz1uXQPZxIY

Can she be excommunicated, please? Please, please, pretty please?

What’s going to be different if she’s excommunicated beyond being told she is not to receive the Eucharist nor take on a parish role of any kind until reconciled? She’s still going to be a Catholic by virtue of her Baptism.

I would just like some sort of firm stance that points out that she’s leading people astray with her heretical views. I hate that someone like her can go around acting like her views are Catholic in nature.

She’s just as Catholic as Hatsune Miku is a real-life person.

Talk about a theological hot mess. It’s sad, and she deserves our prayers.

I do not think that is a good idea. It is paying too much attention to her.
That is a Protestant thinking. I have got a private revelation that tells me that something that is against the Catholic Faith is wrong.

Except that the Catholic Church considers her a Catholic.

It’s really hard to remember that, sometimes. I see many people in the comments to that article, declaring she’s not Catholic. As much as we don’t feel she shouldn’t have the right to call herself one, she is one And hopefully, one day she’ll actually practice Catholicism. In the meantime, I just worry so much for this country. The worry wears on me.

You are correct.

Although it may be fair to say she’s a wayward dissident as well.

That’s something I never understand about Catholics. Some as you stated say she’s not Catholic. And I’m not sure if you meant “as much as we don’t feel she shouldn’t have the right to call herself one, she is one”. Or if you meant “as much we don’t feel she should have that right, she is one”. But I don’t understand why any faithful Catholic would say she is not Catholic or should not have the right to call herself one when the Church doesn’t say that. To say she is not or shouldn’t have the right to call herself one seems to go against Church teaching. The same thing these Catholics who say these things are critical of her of doing.

Well, most Catholics are aware of the church’s stance on homosexuality, I think. Most Catholics aren’t aware that being Catholic is a permanent thing. There are just so many that say, “I used to be Catholic but I’m an Atheist/Satanist/Buddhist/insertreligionhere,” that it seems natural that Pelosi isn’t one. It seems natural that she’s just using Catholicism for her own agenda, rather than the fact that she is a Catholic(who is also using it for her agenda).

:stuck_out_tongue:

It’s not so much judgment, but a lack of awareness, and also of not wanting to associate with her.

I do not understand why certain Catholic politicians who support gay ‘marriage’ and/or abortion can not take Communion like Kathleen Sebelius but others can like Joe Biden and Nancy Pelosi. And they support the HHS mandate which forces religious institutions to pay for contraception, sterilization and abortificants.

Thanks for the link!

I do not understand…:frowning: A sad situation all around!!

Praying for her & our country!:highprayer:

PAX

Denying Nancy Pelosi and other pro abortion and pro gay ‘marriage’ politicians Communion, preserves the Sacrament from being profaned.

“Regarding the grave sin of abortion or euthanasia, when a person’s formal cooperation becomes manifest, his Pastor should meet with him, instructing him about the Church’s teaching, informing him that he is not to present himself for Holy Communion until he brings to an end the objective situation of sin, and warning him that he will otherwise be denied the Eucharist.” – then Cardinal Ratzinger, Worthiness to Receive Holy Communion.

Her bishop obviously does not think that her pronouncements are a cause for scandal.

I may disagree but so what.

How is that Protestant thinking exactly?

There are few things that repel in quite the same way as the member of the crowd who wanted to stone the woman taken in adultery - whether that particular passage is canonical or not! When the Roman Catholic Church begins to view itself as Christian first and “Catholic” second, it may begin to see that everyone is entitled to a view and that we are all ‘in sin’ and in danger of casting the first stone. What does Christianity teach about seeing a fellow Christian in error “Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother”. Not pretty please excommunicate “… thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward”. (King James version). Personally I find all things homosexual to be abhorrent; does this mean I am right and another person with the opposite view wrong? The Pharisaical view expressed by Dymphna 82 is as opposed to the teachings of Christ as any other sin.

Not likely, but perhaps pray for her conversion instead. St. Paul:

“…Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error…”

Oh, bite me.

Pelosi knows she’s doing wrong, and she has it in her entire power to do what is right. She just wants political power and cares nothing about the Church.

It’s not unreasonable to ask for excommunication. It’s not as if she’s going to repent tomorrow and take everything back. That would be a great miracle. No, she wants her sheep. That’s not judgment or stoning.

:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.