Pelosi Says She Has a Duty to Pursue Policies in Keeping With The Values of Jesus, 'The Word Made Flesh'

I think I just threw up a little in my mouth…

cnsnews.com/news/article/66208

Pelosi Says She Has a Duty to Pursue Policies in Keeping With The Values of Jesus, 'The Word Made Flesh’
Tuesday, June 01, 2010
By Nicholas Ballasy, Video Reporter

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.). (AP Photo/Cliff Owen)(CNSNews.com) – House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) says she believes she must pursue public policies “in keeping with the values” of Jesus Christ, “The Word made Flesh.”

Pelosi, who is a Catholic and who favors legalized abortion, voted against the ban on partial-birth abortion that was enacted into law in 2003.

At a May 6 Catholic Community Conference on Capitol Hill, the speaker said: “They ask me all the time, ‘What is your favorite this? What is your favorite that? What is your favorite that?’ And one time, ‘What is your favorite word?’ And I said, ‘My favorite word? That is really easy. My favorite word is the Word, is the Word. And that is everything. It says it all for us. And you know the biblical reference, you know the Gospel reference of the Word.”

“And that Word," Pelosi said, "is, we have to give voice to what that means in terms of public policy that would be in keeping with the values of the Word. The Word. Isn’t it a beautiful word when you think of it? It just covers everything. The Word.

“Fill it in with anything you want. But, of course, we know it means: ‘The Word was made flesh and dwelt amongst us.’ And that’s the great mystery of our faith. He will come again. He will come again. So, we have to make sure we’re prepared to answer in this life, or otherwise, as to how we have measured up.”

John 1:14 states, “And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we saw His glory, the glory as it were of the only begotten of the Father) full of grace and truth.”

The passage from the Gospel of John, Christians believe, refers to God (the Word) becoming a man, Jesus Christ, at the moment of the Annunciation, when the angel Gabriel told the Virgin Mary she was going to have a child. According to the Catholic Encyclopedia, “the Incarnation is the mystery and the dogma of the Word made Flesh.”

Section 423 of the Catechism of the Catholic Church states: “We believe and confess that Jesus of Nazareth, born a Jew of a daughter of Israel at Bethlehem at the time of King Herod the Great and the emperor Caesar Augustus, a carpenter by trade, who died crucified in Jerusalem under the procurator Pontius Pilate during the reign of the emperor Tiberius, is the eternal Son of God made man. He ‘came from God’, ‘descended from heaven’, and ‘came in the flesh’. For 'the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, full of grace and truth; we have beheld his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father … And from his fullness have we all received, grace upon grace.”

After Pope Benedict XVI met privately with Speaker Pelosi in February 2009, the Vatican issued a statement saying: “His Holiness took the opportunity to speak of the requirements of the natural moral law and the Church’s consistent teaching on the dignity of human life from conception to natural death which enjoin all Catholics, and especially legislators, jurists and those responsible for the common good of society, to work in co-operation with all men and women of good will in creating a just system of laws capable of protecting human life at all stages of its development.”

Pelosi’s office did not respond to CNSNews.com’s follow-up questions regarding the speaker’s statement that she seeks to make policy in conformance with the values of the Word made flesh

Found this item this morning:

Pelosi Says She Has a Duty to Pursue Policies in Keeping With The Values of Jesus, 'The Word Made Flesh'

cnsnews.com/news/article/66208

I could be cynical and decry this as another way that she - a career politician - is trying to be what the present audience (Catholic Community Conference) wants to see, and so she becomes a faithful Catholic for the duration of the speech.

I could give her more credit and note that she states that she believes that Jesus came in the flesh and dwelt amongst us. At the same time there's a difference (at least in my mind) between a mere faith that assents to Jesus' existence, and a living faith in which one kneels the heart.

Yes, Ms. Pelosi has pushed a lot of progressive items that we could call social justice in line with the Church's teaching. Yes, Ms. Pelosi has also been very outspoken in support of abortion which the Church vehemently condemns. And Ms. Pelosi has also told the Church that it is wrong when it comes to abortion and that the bishops should not drive Catholic thinking.

Not to mention that when she does something like this it makes Catholics in specific and Christians in general look hypocritical for paying lip service to Jesus and then killing babies anyway.

So right now I'm leaning towards the cynical though I'm wondering if this could be an opening. What do you think?

Such perversion of the Truth in these days-these times.

See the manipulation for what it is-Who it is behind this-and like our Beloved Pope John Paul II said, don't be afraid to call him by his name, The Evil One.

The Veil thins.

Events like this-are why it is important to have formed our Consciences, and to Know Our Faith.

Click Here: Mark Mallett-The End of Our Era

Click Here: Mark Mallett's Blog

God Bless.
+Jesus, I Trust In You.
Love, Dawn

Many will try to dissuade you from your way, for the evil one has been given great power through the sins of this wicked generation…
2 Peter 3:17 Therefore, beloved, since you are forewarned, be on your guard not to be led into the error of the unprincipled and to fall from your own stability.

[quote="losh14, post:2, topic:200299"]
Found this item this morning:

So right now I'm leaning towards the cynical though I'm wondering if this could be an opening. What do you think?

[/quote]

I think we need to continue to pray for her. While I would like to think this is an opening, I tend to be cynical too. Pelosi, like many Catholic politicians has a tough time reconciling her faith with her political aspirations. I'm not sure the two things CAN be reconciled in the world we live in. So we pray for her, as we do for all of our leaders, in the hopes that they might someday truly let their decisions reflect their faith.

This isn't her first time:

ewtn.com/vnews/getstory.asp?number=90689

Bishop: Pelosi "Created Confusion" on Abortion, Church's Stance Remains Unchanged
FARGO, North Dakota, AUG. 28, 2008 (Zenit.org).- Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi has "created confusion" with regard to the Church's stance against abortion, says the bishop of Fargo.

Bishop Samuel Aquila said this in a the latest in a series of episcopal statements that have responded to comments made by Pelosi during an interview Sunday on NBC-TV's "Meet the Press."

Pelosi, when asked to comment on when life begins, said that as a Catholic, she had studied the issue for "a long time" and that "the doctors of the Church have not been able to make that definition."...

God Bless.
+Jesus, I Trust In You!
Love, Dawn

:eek::mad:

Is Pelosi unaware that "the Word was made flesh" was the moment of Jesus' conception? How can she not see the disparity in her supposed living by the Word and the teachings of Christ, and her not believing that babies have a right to life from the moment of conception? How can she be unaware of the evil of abortion? How can she reconcile her words with her actions?

:eek::mad:

Pelosi needs prayers, that her eyes and heart may be opened to the Truth, that the teachings of the Church may yet lead her to do His will and follow Him.

Perhaps we are not understanding her definitions of Word and Flesh? :eek:

Pray. :crossrc:

This woman takes hypocrisy to new levels almost every time she opens her mouth to speak.

I don't think that she is a dumb person. As a matter of fact, I think Pelosi is well aware of Catholic doctrine. That's why I think she speaks this way purposely. She is a provocateur, as evidenced by her mock civil rights march when walking to Congress to vote on the tyrannical healthcare bill she and the Dems crammed down our throats.

I lose all ability to speak with charity when I speak about people like Nancy Pelosi. That is surely my weakness. But Nancy Pelosi is an evil human being, and I don't think there is any hope for her.

Frankly, I am tired of this morally corrupt person mocking the Catholic faith at every turn.

Maybe the statement belies the meaning. She speaks of the "values" of Jesus, not the commands, nor admonitions, as though Jesus was just another human being. Does she not recognize His Lordship? I think she does but she mitigates it, limits it, or puts it into a nice box outside of which He can't tell her what to do.

There's also a major issues in taking action in imitation of some of the values but not others. To protect those born while allowing the slaughter of those unborn is arbitrary.

[quote="Jersey_Jeepster, post:9, topic:200299"]
This woman takes hypocrisy to new levels almost every time she opens her mouth to speak.

I don't think that she is a dumb person. As a matter of fact, I think Pelosi is well aware of Catholic doctrine. That's why I think she speaks this way purposely. She is a provocateur, as evidenced by her mock civil rights march when walking to Congress to vote on the tyrannical healthcare bill she and the Dems crammed down our throats.

I lose all ability to speak with charity when I speak about people like Nancy Pelosi. That is surely my weakness. But Nancy Pelosi is an evil human being, and I don't think there is any hope for her.

Frankly, I am tired of this morally corrupt person mocking the Catholic faith at every turn.

[/quote]

:thumbsup: Ditto!

[quote="SwizzleStick, post:7, topic:200299"]
Pelosi needs prayers, that her eyes and heart may be opened to the Truth, that the teachings of the Church may yet lead her to do His will and follow Him.

[/quote]

The people of the 8th Congressional District, in California, need prayers, that they will throw this woman out of office and elect a pro-life, fiscally consertitive canidate in her place.

That works too. :slight_smile: In fact, that sounds like a very good idea, combined with praying for the woman.

She is a nutcase.

Workin’ on it…

I’m just one person…but boy oh boy can I network…

[quote="kristie_m, post:4, topic:200299"]
I think we need to continue to pray for her. While I would like to think this is an opening, I tend to be cynical too. Pelosi, like many Catholic politicians has a tough time reconciling her faith with her political aspirations. I'm not sure the two things CAN be reconciled in the world we live in. So we pray for her, as we do for all of our leaders, in the hopes that they might someday truly let their decisions reflect their faith.

[/quote]

AMEN!

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Horse hockey! :mad:

[quote="Charlotte408, post:15, topic:200299"]
Workin' on it...

I'm just one person..but boy oh boy can I network...

[/quote]

God bless you! :thumbsup:

I use to live in Sacramento (loved it) and would go to San Francisco all the time..
San Francisco has to be the most gorgeous city I have ever seen... .. but, wow.. are they ever liberal.

WARNING: If you plan on clicking this link, I recommend watching TV for at least 15 minutes before going to sleep.

Lawd have mercy

[quote="losh14, post:10, topic:200299"]
Maybe the statement belies the meaning. She speaks of the "values" of Jesus, not the commands, nor admonitions, as though Jesus was just another human being. Does she not recognize His Lordship? I think she does but she mitigates it, limits it, or puts it into a nice box outside of which He can't tell her what to do.

There's also a major issues in taking action in imitation of some of the values but not others. To protect those born while allowing the slaughter of those unborn is arbitrary.

[/quote]

Losh---the Catholic Church ain't no Democracy.

Faith and Morals are cut and dried. We must be obedient. After that, we can do as we please.
In other words, Faith and Morals are dictated in the Catholic Faith. We cannot deter or add to.

Nancy Pelosi is in a public position where she makes Laws for others. She is obligated by her proclaimed Faith-to be Faithful to God first in all things.

Regardless of the world.

She has more responsibility over others than say, I do.
She will be held responsible for her words and actions. So will I. You. Each of us.

She has perverted (some crucially important-today) Teachings of the Catholic Church-and proclaimed such to the whole world. Even after meeting with the Pope and San Francisco Archbishop Niederauer-she continues---still.

Click Here: Pelosi Refuses to Change Her Position on Abortion After Meeting with Archbishop Niederauer

Think too, about the ripple-effect of those she has infected with such perversion.
She will not listen. She will not obey.

Remember, Pride got Satan thrown out of Heaven.

Woe.

God Bless.
+Jesus, I Trust In You.
Love, Dawn

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.