Peltier Parole Denied

American Indian Movement Activist Leonard Peltier’s request for parole from federal prison has been denied. I have read both the discussions and urgings of is supporters as well as the court documents, particularly the report of the appeal of his conviction from the 8th Circuit. Peltier’s supporters advocate as best they can, but it looks like Peltier is going to stay in prison awhile longer. What particularlly prompts me to further consideration is the release of the Lockerbie bomber on humanitarian grounds; if Peltier is as sick as is represented maybe he should be paroled so he can die in peace. He could be kept under some form of house arrest on the reservation. There has also be some comparison with the release of “Squeaky” Fromme, a Charles Manson devotee, but that comparison seems inapt. Wonder what others are thinking?

I don’t know if I buy the AIM’s defense of Peltier, but with regard to your question, I do not feel that the person convicted for the Lockerbie bombing is the same as Peltier. If there was a similar judicial tradition here, I would not disagree with it being applied to him. I’m sure though there would be some outcry against it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.