Penance after confession

I have not been to confession in over 20 years. There are some things that I will be confessing to the priest that would be harmful to others and to certain relationships if the other parties are to know about these sins. As a part of my penance, will the priest require me to reveal some or all of these sins to the other parties? Thanks.

[quote="almalevi, post:1, topic:306466"]
I have not been to confession in over 20 years. There are some things that I will be confessing to the priest that would be harmful to others and to certain relationships if the other parties are to know about these sins. As a part of my penance, will the priest require me to reveal some or all of these sins to the other parties? Thanks.

[/quote]

Never.

The seal of the confessional is absolute. The priest can not violate it, or ask you to violate it as part of your penance.

He may reccomend that you make reparations for sins if possible, but he can't bind you to reveal anything you told him.

God Bless

NO.

He cannot actually.

We are though obliged to confess ALL our Mortal sins.

One is obliged to confess all mortal sins in number and kind (and circumstance that changes things -- like it was your brother you murdered!)

(To deliberately hide a mortal sin is a to add the grave sin of sacrilege and invalidates the confession....no sins are absolved...)

If one forgets a mortal sin but one was contrite etc and were seeking to confess all ones mortal sins --it is indirectly absolved --but one is obliged to confess it in the next confession (if it is remembered of course...)

As to numbers of mortal sins -- one examines ones conscience well --and confesses the number --but if one does not know then the number --one can approximate according to what one knows -- 2-3x a month for the last 10 years, around 20x, in some cases one may need to say "many times" or several times etc.

Venial sins are recommended to be confessed. They can also be forgiven in many other ways.

Jimmy Akin of Catholic Answers: jimmyakin.com/2007/03/specific_confes.html

jimmyakin.com/2006/09/a_reader_writes_1.html

-- Very good your on the way to Confession!

Jesus the Good Shepherd loves you and is waiting to heal you....

In Jesus of Nazareth is* true life*!

In agreement with what others have said: No. :)

I am so happy for you, I could be doing backflips!!! Go to confession! Good for you!!! :extrahappy:

do whatever penance the priest says; in ancient days this could be 6 months or a year on bread and water only but not so severe now.;)

A few priests have told me, “no details!” Just sins by name and number. It’s easier once you get the hang of it.

I’ll pray for you. May you be flooded with grace!

[quote="ilySHJ, post:6, topic:306466"]
A few priests have told me, "no details!" Just sins by name and number. It's easier once you get the hang of it.
!

[/quote]

I may sound like a cad, but some people stay for over 15 minutes in the confessional while we penitents are in line, knees buckling, waiting for our turn. A true test of patience, I long for the name/number in spite of it sounding so “fast food” there are others waiting…

Confession is so good for the soul. Praise God you are going. Be honest, sincere and trust God. He only asks what is good for us and others.
Blessings,
mlz

In line with what everyone else has said, what's said during confession stays between you and the Priest. Also, once he knows you've not been for awhile, he'll most likely talk you through the process :)

The priest cannot violate the seal of confefssion. He may ask you to make reparations for what you did, but if you can't make it in without causing a lot of trouble for yourself, you can make it in secret or if that is not possible, you can make it in some comparable way that would be known only to God and you.

[quote="gabadab, post:7, topic:306466"]
I may sound like a cad, but some people stay for over 15 minutes in the confessional while we penitents are in line, knees buckling, waiting for our turn. A true test of patience, I long for the name/number in spite of it sounding so “fast food” there are others waiting…

[/quote]

Agree 100%. Confession is not therapy, and it is not spiritual direction. People who need to have an extended talk with the priest really should schedule an appointment.

Especially when there's a line, mortal sins only, number and kind, and throw in "any other sins I can't recall" and move on. Likewise, if there's a significant line, and you have only venial sins, you should step out.

I always think, what if there's someone behind me that hasn't confessed in 20 years, and if they don't get in today, may never come back.

God Bless

[quote="gabadab, post:7, topic:306466"]

[/quote]

I went to Confession about a month ago and a lady in line ahead of me spent no less than 20 minutes inside, no joke, no exaggeration. It was to the point where we (the others in line, there were several of us) were looking at each other like "Really??" There was only one priest hearing Confessions, so I'm sure that unless he stayed waaaay over time, a lot of the people behind me didn't get in.

I hate to complain, but that really did upset me. Confession is only offered twice a week for a total of 1 1/2 hours. One person taking 20 minutes basically just took up over 20% of the scheduled Confession time for that week.

My penances have been pretty much been related to saying some series of prayers and/or doing some work of mercy. I have no idea what others are given for a penance. I am glad these days they are simple to do compared to the past, and are private. I make sure I make my time in the confessional as quick as possible without omitting things just in case the next person in line needs a bit more time. Hopefully with Advent coming, Confession will be more readily available in preparation for Xmas like it was in several parishes during Lent.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.