Penance never given

I am just wondering if this is common or what it means. At confession the priest- after hearing my confession - gives absolution but never gives penance- is this common ? Thank you

It’s not common, it’s invalid.

i strongly disagree with you.

1. in Africa the priests always give a penance

2. in Europe the priests do no give penance. instead they pray with you. (sometimes anyway)

3. inspite of 1 and 2 above the confession remains valid because the sins of the penitent are cleansed. the methodology of the priest will not hinder the merits and graces acquired by the faith of the people.

in such cases of lacks ‘the church supplies’.

The priest is supposed to give a penance, but this does not affect the validity of the absolution given. If he does not give a penance, ask him why.

[quote=pacomius;12124675
]

A bit of a sweeping statement, that!

Europe is over 28 different countries. Penances are given in my parish in the UK, for a start.
[/quote]

That is completely untrue. Absolution is not conditional upon a penance being given or performed.

op: I think correct the poster who said “the Church supplies”… I now see, in this case, the confessor has true understanding of satisfaction.
A question posted here can bring many different replies but all glory to God we have the Catholic Church, the Catechism, Holy Scriptures , the saints, and each other
thank everyone for responses!

Catechism 1460

The penance the confessor imposes must take into account the penitents personal situation and must seek his spiritual good. It must correspond as far as possible with the gravity and nature of the sins committed. It can consist of prayer, an offering, works of mercy, service of neighbor, voluntary self denial, sacrifices, and above all the patient acceptance of the cross we must bear. Such penances help configure us to Christ, who alone expiated our sins once for all. They allow us to become co-heirs with the risen Christ, " provided we suffer with him"....

closed #8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.