Penance

The Douay-Rheims translation says in 1 Cor 9:27, “But I chastise my body and bring it into subjection: lest perhaps, when I have preached to others, I myself should become a castaway.” The word “chastise” is not used in many of the other, more modern translations nor is it used in the King James Version. The King James Version says, “But I keep under my body, and bring [it] into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.” However, if you look at the protestant Strong’s it says the meaning of this is: “AV translates as “weary” once, and “keep under” once. [FONT=Arial][size=3]1[/size][/FONT] to beat black and blue, to smite so as to cause bruises and livid spots. [FONT=Arial][size=3]1a[/size][/FONT] like a boxer one buffets his body, handle it roughly, discipline by hardships. [FONT=Arial][size=3]2[/size][/FONT] metaph. [FONT=Arial][size=3]2a[/size][/FONT] to give one intolerable annoyance. [FONT=Arial][size=1]2a1[/size][/FONT] beat one out, wear one out. [FONT=Arial][size=3]2b[/size][/FONT] by entreaties. [FONT=Arial][size=3]3[/size][/FONT] that part of the face that is under the eyes.” (#5299)

I bring all this up because the DRV uses “Penance” in many places where the modern translations us “Repentance” such as Acts 2:38 which says, “…Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins…” There are many other places. The Catholic definition of “Penance” includes Repentance, Almsgiving and Fasting.

So it seems that all 3 of these should be included in all the verses translated as “Repentance”. Couldn’t this also include wearing hairshirts, whipping the body, etc? What do you think?

I have to get off so I’ll look tomorrow.

Scriptures About Penance

That link might help you a bit. See what you think.

Thanks! It looks interesting. I’ll take a look at it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.