Penitential Fridays

I just got a new calendar from my church that has every Friday listed as a day of pennance. This is a new concept to me. What do you do on Fridays to make them days of pennance?

Traditionally the way to do this was to abstain from meat on every Friday (other than those times when major feasts such as Christmas fall on a Friday) in the same way as we do in Lent.

This is no longer obligatory in most parts of the world (you might want to check with your local diocese to find out), but I still do so as many Fridays as I can remember to - assuming I am in charge of the food (sometimes when I’m visiting or travelling I’m not).

Otherwise you can substitute additional prayer, scripture or spiritual reading, Friday Mass and/or confession, volunteer work or almsgiving. Or you can complete your penance by fasting or abstaining from some other food or drink, or turning off the TV or internet for the day. Anything that will help you grow spiritually.

Normally, we abstain from meat, but on Fridays outside of Lent we are permitted to substitute some other kind of penance, such as the Litany of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, or the Sorrowful Mysteries of the Rosary, or some other kind of penitential act or prayer. :slight_smile:

CCC 1438 The seasons and days of penance in the course of the liturgical year (Lent, and each Friday in memory of the death of the Lord) are intense moments of the Church’s penitential practice. These times are particularly appropriate for spiritual exercises, penitential liturgies, pilgrimages as signs of penance, voluntary self-denial such as fasting and almsgiving, and fraternal sharing (charitable and missionary works).

Yes all fridays of the year except solemnities-- are penitental days.

In the USA however there is no obligation per se to do penance on those days.

Read Jimmy Akin the head apologist at Catholic Answers here:

jimmyakin.typepad.com/defensor_fidei/2004/07/since_tomorrow_.html

more Herre jimmyakin.org/2004/07/more_on_friday_.html

[quote="Bookcat, post:5, topic:181527"]
Yes all fridays of the year except solemnities-- are penitental days.

In the USA however there is no obligation per se to do penance on those days.

Read Jimmy Akin the head apologist at Catholic Answers here:

jimmyakin.typepad.com/defensor_fidei/2004/07/since_tomorrow_.html

more Herre jimmyakin.org/2004/07/more_on_friday_.html

[/quote]

With all due respect to Jimmy Akin he does not speak for the Church. He is expressing his own opinion and his own interpretation. It may or may not be correct.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.