Penitential Rite

We did not say the Penitential Rite during Sunday Mass. Was this okay?

There are three different forms of the Penitential Rite. One form simply involves priest and congregation saying “Lord Have Mercy”, “Christ Have Mercy” “Lord Have Mercy” and not much else. Or it may have even just been sung by the choir - or the Greek translation, ‘Kyrie Eleison, Christe Eleison’. If that much was said (or sung by the choir) then you almost certainly did have the Penitential Rite.

Otherwise - if memory serves there are some cases where the Penitential Rite can be omitted. If there was a baptism during Mass, or a renewal of baptismal promises by the congregation, or a rite of Asperges (where the priest blesses water and walks around dousing the congregation with it).

Lily, if I may add this: The Penitential Rite can take three forms.

You mentioned the the Kyrie (said or sung)
The Asperges (sprinkling with holy wter)
and there’s also the Confiteor (I confess to Almighty God…)

You’re way off. None of the forms of the Penitential Rite is just a simple Kyrie. When the Kyrie is said, it is done in combination with the Confiteor. Here is a summary of the options.

Form A is the Confiteor + the Kyrie

Form B is Lord, we have sinned against you…And grant us your salvation

Form C is the Dialogue Kyrie.

As to the asperges…

According to the notation in red before the Rite of Blessing and Sprinkling in my St. Joseph’s Sunday Missal, "When this rite is celebrated, it takes the place of the Penitential Rite at the beginning of the Mass. The Kyrie is also omitted.

I never said a simple Kyrie - I said a Kyrie and not much more. ‘You were sent to heal the contrite … You came to call sinners … You plead for us at the right hand or the Father’ - or the alternatives - IS, IMHO, ‘not much more’. :shrug:

And I said the Asperges could replace the Penitential Rite, which it does, so I wasn’t wrong about that in any way shape or form. The Kyrie being separate from the Confiteor in the first Penitential Rite, it needed to be clarified that it replaces both.

Let’s take a look here:
catholic-resources.org/ChurchDocs/Mass.htm#Introductory
(Ordinary Form of the Mass)

Rite of Blessing and Sprinkling Holy Water:

or Penitential Rite:

Option A:
All: I confess to almighty God,
and to you, my brothers and sisters,
that I have sinned through my own fault,
in my thoughts and in my words,
in what I have done,
and in what I have failed to do;
and I ask blessed Mary, ever virgin,
all the angels and saints,
and you, my brothers and sisters,
to pray for me to the Lord, our God.
Priest: May almighty God have mercy on us,
forgive us our sins, and bring us to everlasting life.
All: Amen.
Option B:
Priest: Lord, we have sinned against you:
Lord, have mercy.
All: Lord, have mercy.
Priest: Lord, show us your mercy and love.
All: And grant us your salvation.
Priest: May almighty God have mercy on us, forgive us our sins, and bring us to everlasting life.
All: Amen.
Option C: **
The following or other invocations may be spoken by the priest or another minister, but the priest always gives the final blessing.]
Minister: You raise the dead to life in the Spirit: Lord, have mercy.
Minister: You bring pardon and peace to the sinner: Christ, have mercy.
All
: Christ, have mercy.**
Minister: You bring light to those in darkness: Lord, have mercy.
Priest: May almighty God have mercy on us, forgive us our sins, and bring us to everlasting life.
*All: *Amen.
Kyrie:
The following acclamations are sung or recited, either in English or Greek, unless they have already been used, as in option C above.]
Priest: Lord, have mercy. All: Lord, have mercy.
Priest: Christ, have mercy. All: Christ, have mercy.

Priest: Lord, have mercy. All: **Lord, have mercy. **
***or ***

Priest: Kyrie, eleison. All: Kyrie, eleison.
Priest: Christe, eleison. All: Christe, eleison.
Priest: Kyrie, eleison. All: Kyrie, eleison.
So, there is the Asperges or the Penitential Rite. And, there are three choices for the Penitential Rite, two of which atre followed by the Kyrie, in either English or Greek.

I think we used option C.

Option C actually has 8 different sets of verses, any of which could be used.

The rubric before the 8 is: “The priest (or other suitable minister) makes the following or other invocations:” (Roman Missal, Catholic Book Publishing Co., New York, 1985, page 361).

So the 8 are examples, but other invocations can be made up.

The Latin edition of the Roman Missal only has one version of invocations for Option C, but says others can be used. (Missale Romanum, Libreria Editrice Vaticana, 2002, ISBN: 8820972719, page 508).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.