Penitential Rite

What Penitential Rite is more common in your parish?

Option A - “All: I confess to almighty God,
and to you, my brothers and sisters…

Option B** -** "Priest: Lord, we have sinned against you:
Lord, have mercy. All: Lord, have mercy…"

Option C - “Minister: You raise the dead to life in the Spirit: Lord, have mercy. All: Lord, have mercy…

CONFITEOR Deo omnipotenti, beatae Mariae semper Virgini, beato Michaeli Archangelo, beato Ioanni Baptistae, sanctis Apostolis Petro et Paulo, et omnibus Sanctis, quia peccavi nimis cogitatione, verbo et opere: mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. Ideo precor beatam Mariam semper Virginem, beatum Michaelem Archangelum, beatum Ioannem Baptistam, sanctos Apostolos Petrum et Paulum, et omnes Sanctos, orare pro me ad Dominum Deum nostrum. Amen.

Which translated for the Latin imparied:

I CONFESS to almighty God, to blessed Mary ever Virgin, to blessed Michael the Archangel, to blessed John the Baptist, to the holy apostles Peter and Paul, and to all the saints that I have sinned exceedingly in thought, word, and deed, through my fault, through my fault, through my most grievous fault. Therefore, I beseech blessed Mary ever Virgin, blessed Michael the Archangel, blessed John the Baptist, the holy apostles Peter and Paul, and all the saints, to pray for me to the Lord our God. Amen.

Confiteor Deo omnipotenti, beatae Mariae semper Virgini, beato Michaeli Archangelo, beato Joanni Baptistae, sanctis Apostolis Petro et Paulo, omnibus Sanctis, et tibi Pater: quia peccavi nimis cogitatione verbo, et opere: mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. Ideo precor beatam Mariam semper Virginem, beatum Michaelem Archangelum, beatum Joannem Baptistam, sanctos Apostolos Petrum et Paulum, omnes Sanctos, et te Pater, orare pro me ad Dominum Deum Nostrum.

and translated for the Latin impaired:

I confess to Almighty God, to Blessed Mary ever Virgin, to Blessed Michael the Archangel, to Blessed John the Baptist, to the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul, and all the Saints, and to you, father, that I have sinned exceedingly in thought, word, deed: through my fault, through my fault, through my most grievous fault, therefore I beseech Blessed Mary ever Virgin, Blessed Michael the Archangel, Blessed John the Baptist, the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul, all the Saints, and you father, to pray for me to the Lord our God.

I usually hear option C used. Sometimes I hear option A used. I have never heard option B used. Most people probably wouldn’t know the responses to it if they did here it.

Priest: Lord we have sinned against you, Lord have mercy.

Congregation: Lord Have Mercy

Priest: Lord, show us your mercy and love

Congregation: And grant us your salvation

Depends on far too many variables to predict. During Lent it’s always the Confiteor. Otherwise it depends on which priest is celebrating and whether or not the deacon is assisting.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.