Pennsylvania mother who gave daughter abortion pill gets prison

A Pennsylvania woman has been sentenced to up to 18 months in prison for obtaining so-called abortion pills online and providing them to her teenage daughter to end her pregnancy.

Jennifer Ann Whalen, 39, of Washingtonville, a single mother who works as a nursing home aide, pleaded guilty in August to obtaining the miscarriage-inducing pills from an online site in Europe for her daughter, 16, who did not want to have the child.

reuters.com/article/2014/09/06/us-usa-crime-pennsylvania-abortion-idUSKBN0H10IR20140906

Only 18 months for her murder, and not for the murder, but for not having a doctor do it. :mad: It is better than nothing, though.

Right. But there’s something unjust about this:

As you mention, they didn’t have a doctor do it.

There is NO jail time for the parents who take their teenage daughters to doctors or abortion clinics to terminate their pregnancies (it has been done within my own family, sadly). So these thousands and thousands have the right to do it, but this one mother is punished? Really only because she couldn’t afford an abortion doctor or clinic.

So where’s the justice?:frowning:

I agree with the above posters. They just want to keep the doctor assisted abortion business in the state it seems, not to sound cynical. At home abortions would surely cut into Drs’ profits.

Mary.

The depravity of it all…:mad:

I am of the thought that as a result of the Fall, and outside God’s Grace, man has an unlimited capacity for evil.

You are correct. It should be applied to all or to no one. Guess it depends on who has money and who does not.

I don’t like abortion, but we need to stay out of families lives and stop trying to make issues of Faith law. We will land up with a Theocracy and if anyone thinks that will lead to something better they better think again.

Did we have a theocracy prior to the courts imposing Roe in 1972?

I think that is a good question Bob. I find it interesting to ask where the notion of a ‘boogy-man’ Christian theocracy comes from. Does it come from the historical past? If so, when and where and have they studied such a government enough to talk coherently about it.

The answer so far has always been ‘no, I don’t know’ which tends to help people look into why they use the threat of Christian theocracy in the first place.

I find it usually leads to a period of quiet self reflection and produces good outcomes.

This abortion pill is going to be a big problem in my opinion. It’s supposed to be somewhat easy to get on the internet. I expect it to be over the counter at some point (that’s me being pessemistic).

I also expect more and more stories like this. There was one a while ago about a boyfriend who gave it to his pregnant girlfriend. If I remember correctly he was convicted but I forget for what.

No, certain matters are related to natural law, which is why so many societies have traditionally prohibited murder, theft, and the like.

What you are talking about is having religious rules mandated by law, like Mass attendance or having a Sabbath dinner on Friday nights or praying 5 times/day, and this state, btw, is not theocracy. Theocracy is rule by priests in the name of their d/Deity.

This woman knowingly broke the law by administering a dangerous drug. She killed her grandchild and could have killed her daughter. If that does not merit prison time, I don’t know what does.

Catholics are part of the problem:

catholicvote.org/prochoicers-catholics-cynics/

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.