Pennsylvania Priest Caught in Sex Scandal

cnn.com/2013/09/20/justice/pennsylvania-priest-sex-charges/index.html

Sad news out of Pennsylvania. a Diocesan priest from Scranton was arrested over the weekend on the campus of Penn State with a teenage boy. To add to the sad situation, he told the cops he was preparing a homily and counseling the young boy when arrested.

Please pray for the victim and the Prince of Peace parish where he was serving as Priest.

Priests are human, but the media often will pick up on these kinds of stories and use them against the entire Church, other priests, and pope. It’s sad, because these are actually the exception, but according to the media, you’d think it were the norm.

Hail Mary, Full of Grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and blest is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen. :bible1:

I’m glad they caught him before he could hurt anyone else. Prayers for the victim and the parish where this man served as priest said.
Mary.

The relative point is not why do Priests become pedophiles , but why do pedophiles become priests ? This could be a hot topic.

Another example of why we need to keep homosexuals out of the priesthood.

Since the other person involved was post pubescent, this was a case of homosexuality, not pedophilia (which is scientifically defined as pre-pubescent attraction)

According to the affidavit, he later admitted to police that he had arranged the meeting with the teen through the “casual encounters” section of Craigslist

I wonder which of the two was the one who posted the ad in Craigslist, and which was the one who responded to it?

May be an offshoot of recent remarks on homosexuality, that it is not to be judged. When a person steals, kills or murders there may be some explanation for it. So a homosexual person may also have some explanations. When something is intrinsically evil we should be courageous to tell so. If we do anything we should be courageous to admit it and seek pardon. That courage is the actual humility, and not to bring up a civilization where one cannot distinguish between a male and female, humans and animals, right and wrong, good and evil, child and adult. A priest after many years of formation is unable to distinguish between what is good and evil and what is ordered and disordered.
Further it is equally the absence of true love of God, or understanding the true love of God, and lack of love and respect to fellow beings that results in such inhuman behaviour.

Excuse me? Some of the most wonderful Catholics I know happen to be gay, and this Priest does not represent all gay people. The reality is that a high percentage of priests are gay. I recall one study from a priest that found its a majority bordering on 70%. There is nothing wrong with this. You can be gay and faithfully serve the church.

If anything, the Church should consider reforming the celibacy requirement. Priests are human beings, and it’s been shown that celibacy tends to increase the likelihood for deviant sexual behavior in some people.

LP, you’d have to produce verifiable stats to prove that because most of have never encountered a gay priest.

As for your statement about celibacy, that’s hogwash.
Celibacy Isn’t the Problem
Celibacy and the Priesthood

Moreover, you need to check the facts and you’ll soon see that this has nothing at all to do with our celibate priesthood. sex abuse protestant - Google Search

No, that’s not true at all. Far from it.

That is a very slanderous statement, and totally unfounded.

It’s not really slanderous. It could be blatantly wrong (and I imagine it is), but it’s no more “slanderous” than saying that 100% of priests are blond. She isn’t saying they’re actively gay, and having SSA is not a sin. Thus, there is no slander.

I was referencing a real academic study done by a Catholic priest. According to the priest, his studies suggested “up to 60 percent of Catholic priests are gay,” and that percentages were even higher for younger priests. The study I am referencing is in the link below. That a significant number of priests may be gay/Same-sex attracted does NOT mean they are actively engaging in behavior that is against current Church doctrine.

As Pope Francis reminded us, “if someone is gay and he searches for the Lord and has good will, who am I to judge?”

usnews.com/news/articles/2013/07/29/catholic-priests-its-empirical-fact-that-many-clergy-are-gay

If you read the article there is no scientific studies coming up with this number. It is speculation. And the article speculates between 10%-50% … well that is a pretty large range. And it is all speculation and gossip

As Pope Francis reminded us, “if someone is gay and he searches for the Lord and has good will, who am I to judge?”

Or make possibly false accusations?

This was pedophilia unless the person involved was not a child. Enough of this redefinition of childhood. :mad: If puberty defines childhood for sexual purposes, then those making these distinctions would label marriage to a post-pubescent 9 yr old girl what?

The person involved was not a child.

**CONGREGATION FOR CATHOLIC EDUCATION

Instruction
Concerning the Criteria for the Discernment of Vocations
with regard to Persons with Homosexual Tendencies
in view of their Admission to the Seminary and to Holy Orders **

***In the light of such teaching, this Dicastery, in accord with the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, believes it necessary to state clearly that the Church, while profoundly respecting the persons in question[9], cannot admit to the seminary or to holy orders those who practise homosexuality, present deep-seated homosexual tendencies or support the so-called “gay culture”[10].

vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccatheduc/documents/rc_con_ccatheduc_doc_20051104_istruzione_en.html

That is simply the medical definition of pedophilia; that of a post-pubescent attraction to pre pubescent children. I was not the one who created that definition. If you have a problem with the definition, talk to the APA.

But homosexual men are pedophile offenders at a much higher rate than the general public.

Agreed.

While it is perfectly socially acceptable to claim “celibacy turns you into a pervert” try stating the same about about the gay life style without howls of protests.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.