Pennsylvania Professor Says He Was Fired for Mentioning God in Letter to Students

NEWTOWN, Pa. — A Pennsylvania professor says that he was fired for citing God in a farewell letter he wrote to students who had completed his class.

Dwight Anderson recently lost his job as an adjunct professor of astrology at Bucks County Community College, just outside of Philadelphia.

He told reporters this week that the situation centered around a student who sent administrators a copy of the letter, along with a list of complaints about Anderson’s teaching practices.

christiannews.net/2015/09/05/pennsylvania-professor-says-he-was-fired-for-mentioning-god-in-letter-to-students/

Just to note, he was a professor of astronomy, not astrology.

I thought in general that students were advised during admission they were going to hear ideas that challenged their most cherished beliefs. I guess this applies only to Christian students.

I sense I do not all the facts and details involved in this. Getting fired for simply m “mentioning” God in a letter, doesn’t seem quite right to me.

Not everyone is as tolerant as you are, especially those who run academia.

Yeah, I think there are some details conveniently not being mentioned. I searched for the professor’s name and school but all news sources for this story essentially only give his side of the story. They’re all overtly religious and/or conservatively partisan sites dedicated to exposing alleged mistreatment of Christians in academia. I’ll reserve judgment until more details emerge and the dean has a chance to be interviewed.

And academia is completely objective? Gimme a break.

Thanks for mentioning this. When I read the OP I was surprised that an accredited university would have studies in astrology. May the good Lord help us all.

I too wonder if there is more to the story what happened met that I found this part
Hilarious:

When Anderson pressed administrators about what he did wrong, he was informed that his letter violated the college policy on academic freedom

Academic freedom, it seems, is very one sided in this school

And highly selective.

People have long wondered why the [University of North Carolina] LGBT Offices have joined the WRCs [Women’s Resource Center] and gotten so heavily involved in lobbying on the abortion issue. The answer is that their pro-abortion programs serve the same purpose as their masturbation workshops and their orgasm appreciation seminars. They are simply meant to promote sexual promiscuity as a means of attaining personal fulfillment.

Prof. M. Adams, UNC - Wilmington

There is a FOX interview with him there in the article where he explains what happened.

Interviewer: “This is an unbelievable story.”

No, it isn’t.

I emailed the President of the College.

I emailed the president of my alma mater once. You know what it got me? Nothing. Nada. zero. zip. zilch. Julius Caesar said Gall was divided into three parts, but he never met a college dean. They still call me every year wanting more money after snubbing me and being told I don’t support affirmative action, diversity, inclusion, and all the rest of their Left-wing garbage. :mad:

I’m not sure that is a reason to discount their coverage of this story. Would you ignore news about Global Warning from sites that are especially concerned about this topic? The fact that most of the news media did not cover this story simply reflects that they don’t consider this “news”; nothing out of the ordinary - or nothing out of their ordinary. 100 years ago, would the mainstream media in a white supremacist area of the US have considered racist acts as “news”?

I’m not discounting, I’m reserving judgment.

Would you ignore news about Global Warning from sites that are especially concerned about this topic?

As a matter of fact I would indeed be highly skeptical of news that seems to only be corroborated by agenda driven outlets, especially so when it’s a he-said-she-said and we’re only given the he-said. Time and time again groups of people so beholden to their ideology get worked up over some “news” that turns out in the end to have largely been puffed up.

The fact that most of the news media did not cover this story simply reflects that they don’t consider this “news”; nothing out of the ordinary - or nothing out of their ordinary. 100 years ago, would the mainstream media in a white supremacist area of the US have considered racist acts as “news”?

Or it could alternatively reflect the fact that all we have so far is a guy who was fired from his job claiming that it happened due to persecution and media that don’t have a dog in the “We’re the persecuted majority” race aren’t interested in this (yet). Let’s wait and see what the school says, shall we?

I think that’s a good course to take in general, but I do know over the past 3 years there was a case of a PA sub teacher being let go for student/teacher religious interaction reasons. Ultimately he won the court case, but IIRC it took three years to resolve. It was covered well by our local news sources. I’m sorry that I don’t have time to gather links, but a Google search for “Walter Tutka teacher” should bring up stories; an early thorough one is at Lehigh Valley Live in 2012.

Also, from cases cited by the Freedom from Religion Foundation, I think it’s likely there’s precedent for this firing; more so than Walter Tutka’s case.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.