Pensioner left on end of life pathway for four days

From the Telegraph
The family of a pensioner who spent four days begging for food and water after he was placed on a controversial end-of-life programme have accused a hospital of treating him "like a dog".

The family of Ron Jee claim the 80-year-old was put on a programme similar to the Liverpool Care Pathway. This involves the withdrawal of food, fluids and medication for terminally ill patients who often die within hours of being put on it.

But they say he was treated like a dog after he spent four days on the end of life pathway when doctors said his condition was deteriorating after he was admitted to hospital with a stroke and then developing pneumonia.

Mr Jee's daughter, Christine Coleman, 52, said: “He was spending his days crying. No one should have to spend their final days like that.

”If I did to my dog what they did to my father I would not be allowed to own a dog again."
Waiting for the LCP to be mandated into US practice by HHS regulation (under the subtitle of "Comparative Effectiveness")

The death penalty is illegal for criminals, but apparently not for those who are merely ill.

What cruelty, how in the world could any human allow another to be treated this way. God for them.

[quote="markomalley, post:1, topic:344547"]
]Waiting for the LCP to be mandated into US practice by HHS regulation (under the subtitle of "Comparative Effectiveness")

[/quote]

cough}death panels {cough}

:confused:

Do you imagine that these policies just developed recently? I have a friend whose relative was placed on a similar pathway and experienced the same agony 6 years ago.
[/quote]

[quote="St_Francis, post:2, topic:344547"]
The death penalty is illegal for criminals, but apparently not for those who are merely ill.

[/quote]

I don't think "hope and change" allows a lot of room for 80-year-olds.

[quote="Ridgerunner, post:6, topic:344547"]
I don't think "hope and change" allows a lot of room for 80-year-olds.

[/quote]

Yeah, because no 80 year olds were starved before 2008, only young unwanted wives in "persistent vegetative states"...

For those thinking/making comments about the US government :confused: please note that this particular instance occurred in ENGLAND.

[quote="WiccanWoman, post:8, topic:344547"]
For those thinking/making comments about the US government :confused: please note that this particular instance occurred in ENGLAND.

[/quote]

Yeah we know. We are next. Thanks though.

Everyone is aware it’s in England. They are drawing parallels to where Mr. Obama and liberals what us to go.

[quote="Usige, post:10, topic:344547"]
Everyone is aware it's in England. They are drawing parallels to where Mr. Obama and liberals what us to go.

[/quote]

Thank you, Usige.

This is no surprise. For decades the elderly have been treated with contempt within many (but not all) NHS hospitals. Every time I visit the Care Home and the family of a new resident is in the foyer I hear the same phrase "Please don't let my mother/father/sister/brother ever go back to hospital". It was the same phrase I uttered after the way my mother was treated once she was out of intensive care - drinks left out of reach (not that she could feed herself) and they don't change the pads of the doubly incontinent very often.

The Care Home staff treat the residents with dignity, I have seen a caregiver spend 15 minutes gently helping someone to drink a cup of tea and even if they have just changed a resident, they will do it again if needed.

We are all scared that if our loved ones have to go to hospital they will be treated badly or they will be denied treatment, food or drink.

When I was a kid, I used to go to a barbershop in which there were two barbers. One was a Russian and the other a Ukrainian, both immigrants. They were able to work together in the shop, but they had massively different political views.

The Russian was a Bolshevik at heart and wasn’t hesitant to admit it. I remember one day he pointed out some old men who, during good weather, sat on a street corner curb passing the time of day. Day after day, they did it. “Those men are useless. They should be put to work or liquidated”, I heard the Russian say, to my astonishment.

The Ukrainian responded “What if one of them was your father? Would you still think the same way.”

“Yes” replied the Russian.

Obama and his cadres don’t claim to be Bolsheviks. So there’s a difference. :wink:

That is absolutely horrible. Of course his health was deteriorating if they were withholding food or water! I don’t understand how medical professionals can sit there and say someone’s health is deteriorating in such a situation and seemingly act as though there is nothing they can do. Of course there is something they can do! They can at least give the person food and water! I mean, seriously! Anybody’s health would deteriorate if they weren’t being given food and water!

Some 20 years ago my father and my father and law both had severe cardiac problem. My Father in law lived in Wales, My Father in Kansas City Kansas. My father in law was put in a corner of a ward and left to die-considered too old for bypass surgery. my father received immediate attention and lived another 15 years.

Wow. That is horrible. Personally if I were considered too old for an operation, I would ask for an operation anyway in the hopes that it would save my life. Whether or not insurance would cover it in that case, I have no idea.

What a sad post. Makes me want to cry.

[quote="Holly3278, post:16, topic:344547"]
Wow. That is horrible. Personally if I were considered too old for an operation, I would ask for an operation anyway in the hopes that it would save my life. Whether or not insurance would cover it in that case, I have no idea.

[/quote]

You don't have that option when govt is in control of health care. Period.

Even when the government isn’t in charge of health care, you have to find a surgeon that will operate against medical advice.

There are reasons that surgeons say someone is too old or sick for surgery. One of them is that you might not make it out of surgery.

There is more to cardiac risk than age or geographic location. For example, how advanced the disease was and how risky the surgery would be as a result, the state of health of the person, their previous treatments, other diseases they may have etc. etc.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.