Pentagon confirms Quran desecration.

That darned Newsweek. I believe this is called a Friday evening news dump. No pun intended.

WASHINGTON - The Pentagon on Friday confirmed for the first time that a U.S. soldier deliberately kicked a Guantanamo Bay prisoner’s Muslim holy book in violation of the military’s rules for handling the Quran.

In other confirmed incidents, prison guards threw water balloons in a cell block, causing an unspecified number of Qurans to get wet; a guard’s urine splashed on a detainee and his Quran; an interrogator stepped on a Quran during an interrogation; and a two-word obscenity was written in English on the inside cover of a Quran.

The findings are among the results of an investigation last month by Brig. Gen. Jay Hood, the commander of the detention center in Cuba, that was triggered by a Newsweek magazine report — later retracted — that a U.S. soldier had flushed one Guantanamo Bay detainee’s Quran down a toilet.

news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050603/ap…

The only curious item is the guard’s urine splashing on a detainee and a Quran. What’s up with that?

Gee, let’s make a big deal out of this and maybe more US soldiers and innocent civilians will die?

While we insist we are supporting the troops.

Yep, that’s the ticket.

Maybe we can repeat the charge that they are running a Gulag. Even if there really is no comparison of kicking a Koran, Bible, or Torah, to forcing multiple generations into forced labor in gold mines in Siberia. It doesn’t matter, Liberals are fools, they will believe anything and the US cause will be hurt by this. Let’s promote it all we can.

Maybe we can get Sen. Kerry or Kennedy to make a big fancy speach on the Senate floor.

This is rubbish.

[quote=gilliam]Maybe we can repeat the charge that they are running a Gulag. Even if there really is no comparison of kicking a Koran, Bible, or Torah, to forcing multiple generations into forced labor in gold mines in Siberia.
[/quote]

Will the left understand that this was “in violation of the military’s rules for handling the Quran.” Will they care? :rolleyes:

And why did the detainees participate in the desecration? Perhaps the people being detained aren’t religious afterall! Perhaps they are hiding behind the Koran so that when they are caught they can cry foul! That is what their manual seems to indicate.

FOX just reported there were five cases of “book abuse” by guards at GITMO… PLUS there were FIFTEEN cases committed by GITMO detainees.

[quote=gilliam]FOX just reported there were five cases of “book abuse” by guards at GITMO… PLUS there were FIFTEEN cases committed by GITMO detainees.
[/quote]

They were obviously suffering from “Stockholm Syndrome” – another sign of the oppressive gulag environment :rolleyes:

[quote=gilliam]FOX just reported there were five cases of “book abuse” by guards at GITMO… PLUS there were FIFTEEN cases committed by GITMO detainees.
[/quote]

Thanks for finding this. All the initial reports I saw highlighted US transgressions.

You are changing your tune.

You said,

"If the Pentagon was investigating the allogation, I am not sure what they were suppose to say “don’t publish because we are investigating”? If they said that, Newsweek would have made a big deal out of the Pentagon investigating.

Chances are the Pentagon didn’t have the slightest idea what Newsweek was referring to and it was the 1st time they had even heard of the silly story.

There is no way we can blaim anyone but Newsweek for this one, sorry to those of you attempting to deflect blaim away from Newsweek."

This is your post from when Newsweek was being vilified for making things up.

[quote=Thekla]You are changing your tune.

You said,

"If the Pentagon was investigating the allogation, I am not sure what they were suppose to say “don’t publish because we are investigating”? If they said that, Newsweek would have made a big deal out of the Pentagon investigating.

Chances are the Pentagon didn’t have the slightest idea what Newsweek was referring to and it was the 1st time they had even heard of the silly story.

There is no way we can blaim anyone but Newsweek for this one, sorry to those of you attempting to deflect blaim away from Newsweek."

[/quote]

Newsweek DID report a false story – the kicking incident is NOT the story they reported.

[quote=Thekla]You are changing your tune.

You said,

[/quote]

Newsweek was still wrong. What the pentagon discovered is not what Newsweek reported.

I see no reason to villify our troops. And I see no reason why some here in this group take such joy in it. Don’t you all know we are at war and making a big deal out of things like this causes people to be killed? Don’t you all have any self control at all???

You must have missed the “splashed urine” part. The reason the Pentagon is dumping this on a Friday night is because they overacted on the Newsweek story with what I would call false outrage.

[quote=Thekla]You must have missed the “splashed urine” part. The reason the Pentagon is dumping this on a Friday night is because they overacted on the Newsweek story with what I would call false outrage.
[/quote]

Last time I checked, splashing urine on someone who happens to have in their posession a Koran is not the same thing as flushing a Koran down a toilet.

Again, I ask, why are you persecuting our soldiers and give aid and comfort to the enemy at a time of war?

[quote=gilliam]Newsweek was still wrong. What the pentagon discovered is not what Newsweek reported.

I see no reason to villify our troops. And I see no reason why some here in this group take such joy in it. Don’t you all know we are at war and making a big deal out of things like this causes people to be killed? Don’t you all have any self control at all???
[/quote]

There is no reason for anyone to be villifying our troops. It is criminal that there are some in this country that act more like the enemy in this war on terror.

Ah, excuse me, this is what was reported:

In other confirmed incidents, a guard’s urine came through an air vent and splashed on a detainee and his Quran; water balloons thrown by prison guards caused an unspecified number of Qurans to get wet; and in a confirmed but ambiguous case, a two-word obscenity was written in English on the inside cover of a Quran…

In the most recent confirmed case, Hood said a detainee complained on March 25, 2005, of urine splashing on him and his Quran. An unidentified guard admitted at the time that “he was at fault,” the Hood report said, although it did not say whether the act was deliberate. The guard’s supervisor reprimanded him and assigned him to gate guard duty, where he had no contact with detainees for the remainder of his assignment at Guantanamo Bay.

washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/03/AR2005060301417_pf.html

Hardly what I would call rampent organized desecration of the Quran.

There is no story here folks… no matter how much you try to make one.

Read the detail, it will show that most were accidental.

It is a shame that I feel I have to defend our greatest generation in this group, of all places.

Since you want to argue the point, how do you think that a thing like that happens? Urine splashing. But you are right, it’s not the same thing. However, it’s awfully close to make you wonder at the “outrage” expressed by the Pentagon.

[quote=gilliam]Last time I checked, splashing urine on someone who happens to have in their posession a Koran is not the same thing as flushing a Koran down a toilet.
[/quote]

Hiding your problems doesn’t make them go away. I notice that when those who support the politicians running the country are letting the argument get away from them, they resort to name-calling. It gives the government a free ride while the citizens argue amongst themselves. Turn the vitriole on the politicians, it’s where it belongs.

[quote=Thekla]Since you want to argue the point, how do you think that a thing like that happens? Urine splashing. But you are right, it’s not the same thing. However, it’s awfully close to make you wonder at the “outrage” expressed by the Pentagon.
[/quote]

What happened was that a guard had to pee. He thought it would be cute to pee into an air duct on top of a prisoner. The prisoner happened to be reading the Koran at the time. The guard was punished for it. Read the news report, it tells you what happened. It is hardly what Newsweek reported.

And yes, I will defend our greatest generation whenever I get the chance. It is the least I can do.

Gilliam, you’re overwrought here. Discussing the story is “persecuting our soldiers and giving aid and comfort to the enemy”??

[quote=Fitz]There is no reason for anyone to be villifying our troops. It is criminal that there are some in this country that act more like the enemy in this war on terror.
[/quote]

No one in this thread is “villifying our troops”. Get a grip.

[quote=gilliam]What happened was that a guard had to pee. He thought it would be cute to pee into an air duct on top of a prisoner. The prisoner happened to be reading the Koran at the time. The guard was punished for it. Read the news report, it tells you what happened. It is hardly what Newsweek reported.

And yes, I will defend our greatest generation whenever I get the chance. It is the least I can do.
[/quote]

How does that make things okay? Urinating on someone is still urinating on them. Doesn’t everyone have a God-given right to human dignity?

Despite what has happened to us, it gives us no right to treat someone else in such a manner.

[quote=Shinobu]How does that make things okay? Urinating on someone is still urinating on them. Doesn’t everyone have a God-given right to human dignity?

Despite what has happened to us, it gives us no right to treat someone else in such a manner.
[/quote]

The guard was punished for being a jurk.

The accusation however, here is the deliberate, organized and authorized desecration of the Koran (which is what people in the Arab world have interpreted what Newsweek, and not the American Left have blaimed the US military of doing). Well, it simply didn’t happen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.