Pentagon recovers cash bonuses paid to California soldiers for going to war a decade ago

The paper reported that nearly 10,000 soldiers, many of whom risked their lives during multiple combat tours, have been ordered to repay the cash bonuses after audits revealed widespread overpayments by California Guard officials under pressure to meet enlistment targets at the height of the wars 10 years ago.

But soldiers say the military is reneging on old agreements and imposing severe financial hardship on those whose only mistake was to accept the bonuses, which amounted to $15,000 or more.foxnews.com/us/2016/10/22/pentagon-recovers-cash-bonuses-paid-to-california-soldiers-for-going-to-war-decade-ago.html

Now every article from a major source makes it sound in the headline as if this is a done deal, while in the articles they say that Pentagon is attempting to recover the bonuses. Either way however, it's a pretty disturbing story, and one I hope veterans will remember if and when a future administration begins beating war drums over tension with Russia.

This story has been all over Facebook AND on CBS News AND in the Los Angeles Times:

latimes.com/nation/la-na-national-guard-bonus-20161020-snap-story.html

This story is horrible.

Men and women accepted offers of bonus payments. They served.

THEN, many years later, some bureaucrats decided that the payments were improper and had to be paid back.

Many of these men and women served in combat and some were seriously wounded.

They paid for college and for homes.

Now they are being forced to pay the money back.

Apparently some are receiving prison sentences.

In some cases, there are appeal processes.

In some cases, they won the appeals.

However, in most cases, the bureaucrats ruled in bulk, en masse, against the soldiers.

I hope Mr. Trump reads this and makes an issue of it.

What a great legacy for this Administration. Pay billions to Iran and then take money away from our veterans, our heroes! :mad:

As a Vet I am appalled (sp) about this development --------

“War Drums over … Russia” ---- May God help us. We would not last 6 months militarily against Russia

It’s a terrible decision.

But maybe an encouraging sign.

If the Obama Pentagon can recover cash (bonuses) now … won’t they soon then find the $6 billion that Secretary of State Clinton “lost” (before she quit)? :rolleyes:

We can hope!! I’m glad they aren’t trying to regain the Korean Bonuses cuz my husband is in Heaven and they would have a long way to travel to collect. God Bless, Memaw

And the Pentagon can’t be audited. It just can’t be done. Ask them. They broke a number of deadlines.

Ed

“Is that a billion dollars on that flatbed?”

No, No. Only the top bills are real.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.