Pentagram in a game

Hi!

I recently played a game where you get upgrades after each boss (It's called The Binding of Isaac) and the upgrades vary from a Rosary to even a Pentagram.

My question is if it's wrong to pick up the Pentagram in the game, the thing it does is it gives you stronger attacks I think. (The final boss is killing the Devil by the way).

Right off the start that I played it the first time I promised myself to not pick up the Pentagram since it didn't feel right. But I did pick it up by accident (I didn't see it was the Pentagram until I took it) I however continued playing the game after I picked it up since I was so far in the game at that point so I didn't want to start over.

My question is, is it a sin to pick it up, and was it a sin that I din't turn it off after I accidently picked it up?

[quote="AnselmTS, post:1, topic:326856"]
Hi!

I recently played a game where you get upgrades after each boss (It's called The Binding of Isaac) and the upgrades vary from a Rosary to even a Pentagram.

My question is if it's wrong to pick up the Pentagram in the game, the thing it does is it gives you stronger attacks I think. (The final boss is killing the Devil by the way).

Right off the start that I played it the first time I promised myself to not pick up the Pentagram since it didn't feel right. But I did pick it up by accident (I didn't see it was the Pentagram until I took it) I however continued playing the game after I picked it up since I was so far in the game at that point so I didn't want to start over.

My question is, is it a sin to pick it up, and was it a sin that I din't turn it off after I accidently picked it up?

[/quote]

No, it's not a sin. However, it may be 'sinful' to play games where your entire focus is away from God. We are all sinners, and I believe that anytime we focus our entire attention away from God is sinful. It's just a matter of how holy you want to be. I would suggest learning to keep a part of your mind to be always fixed on God.

[quote="AnselmTS, post:1, topic:326856"]
Hi!

[/quote]

[quote="Robert_Sock, post:2, topic:326856"]
No, it's not a sin. However, it may be 'sinful' to play games where your entire focus is away from God. We are all sinners, and I believe that anytime we focus our entire attention away from God is sinful. It's just a matter of how holy you want to be. I would suggest learning to keep a part of your mind to be always fixed on God.

[/quote]

This is the key phrase in your argument, Robert Sock. I know you from your "I hate the world" threads. As Sarah pointed out in the last one I met you on, you've even admitted to disagreeing with church teaching on it. I agree with you that it's not a sin to pick up the pentagram in the game, but not necessarily the rest of your post.

Now to the OP: No, it's not a sin. I looked the game up and it actually sounds like an interesting concept. I, personally, don't mind stuff like that. (It takes confusing the Immaculate Conception with the Miraculous Conception to irritate me)

Im no longer christian so I wont tell you what to believe but i will say that I think your interpretation of pentagram is slightly skewed. Modern Media and alot of Christians portray the pentagram as a symbol of Satanism, which it is not. an INVERTED-pentagram with the point facing down is used in satanism but not one with the point facing up. The point facing up "normal" pentagram is used by Wiccans. So it would be more similar to picking up say a Crescent or a Statute of the Buddha that to using a Satanic tool. The meaning of a Pentagram (at least to those that use them as a symbol) changes entirely depending on the direction of the point.

And BTW Binding of Issac is a GREAT game, If you like Rougelike RPGs id suggest Faster Than Light, it had me borderline addicted.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.