"Pentecostal" Christianity in Africa

Here’s more Benny Hinn for those of us that can’t get enough!

news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070626/lf_nm/africa_pentecostals_dc

I’m not aware of other, non-Christian religions that have anything quite like this so-called “Pentecostal” phenomenon in Christianity. Is there anything similar in the Islamic faith? What about among the Hindus? Buddhists?

Good question! We studied Benny Hinn in a world religions class I took. Kind of an…interesting fellow…I suppose…

I want to hear other people’s experiences on this.

I pray that God will convict that kind of person of theor sins and lead them to repentance. But if not, I know there is a special place in Hell for those who would use Christianity to make a buck. 1 Timothy 6:5 …and constant friction between men of corrupt mind, who have been robbed of the truth and who think that godliness is a means to financial gain.

I’m not sure if the strong emotional experiences of Pentecostals have exact analogues in other religions. The Greek mystery religion of Dionysius, which emphasized a sort of divine ‘madness’, and other mystery religions, seem similar. Some forms of Islamic Sufism which involve a ecstatic immersion into the divine in dancing and poetry might have a similarity, and in Catholic Christianity, some of the strong medieval devotions to Jesus and the saints as well as Charismatic Catholicism, and the strand of Marcarian spirituality from the Desert Tradition, might have a similarity.

Buddhism generally emphasizes calm, serenity and balance in all levels of meditation so ecstatic emotional states are generally removed by the proper practice of meditation. As for Hinduism, perhaps some forms of devotion to a God or Goddess might involve strong emotions, but other forms of meditation have aims very similar to Buddhism, quiet contemplative union of the mind with the Absolute.

“Brother, can you spare a dime?”

:rotfl: More like, “can you spare ten million dollars!” God will cause you to reap an abundant harvest from the seed you sowed!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.