Pentecostal Exorcism? Dangerous?

Long.story.short.

My wife’s cousin was Baptist, but became Pentecostal. Every bad thing in life she attributes to Satan. Now she has taken it upon herself to “call out” Satan and “defeat” him with some annoiting oil that she bought at a local Christian supply store.

When it came time for her to call him out, the oil was thrown from her hand and smashed on the floor, spilling everywhere, but she plans to buy more oil soon and attempt this again. Is it just me, or is this type of behavior dangerous? Won’t it invite more demons in?

You, know… more than likely the bottle simply slipped from her hand due to oil being on the outside of the container. This is not intended to be dismissive; however, even the Holy Mother Church investigates the rational causes of demonic activities before sending in the big guns.

With that said, for a lay person to attempt what she is attempting, in a valid case, this is very dangerous… even in those cases where Exorcisms have been found to be legitimately needed by the Church, only in an emergency would a lone priest attempt such an act, normally there would be several involved… IRK, even in the Pentecostal Church, one would seek the aid of the Minister and the Elders as taking on even a minor spirit can be very difficult and cause a great deal of harm

Let’s put it this way: Satan is much, much more powerful than us. Even the least powerful of his demons can overwhelm a single man without effort.

But God is more powerful than Satan - infinitely so. A priest called to exorcise is the legitimate, official authority of God to cast out demons. What is a human otherwise?

Fresh meat.

One shouldn’t be calling out the Devil for that sort of attention.

I agree it could have just been an accident, but demons may make the most of their earthly “privileges.”

Seems pretty foolish to me.

That is extremely dangerous, she is call him to her so yes inviting all kinds of evil into her home and leaving her at risk for possession and attack from demons. I doubt that a demon smacked the oil out of her hand since it wasn’t bless by a catholic priest(only real things that hurt demons) and if it was it was probably just mocking her. Pray for her.

Unless you have a special charism, as did Saint Padre Pio or Saint John Vianney, we are cautioned not to engage the enemy directly. Far better to call upon the Lord, who is infinitely more [powerful, or Saint Michael the Archangel. Engaging the evil one relies only on one self - you are already defeated! Let’s see what the scriptures have to say:

[QUOTE]Acts 19:11-20
And God did extraordinary miracles by the hands of Paul, 12 so that handkerchiefs or aprons were carried away from his body to the sick, and diseases left them and the evil spirits came out of them. 13 Then some of the itinerant Jewish exorcists undertook to pronounce the name of the Lord Jesus over those who had evil spirits, saying, “I adjure you by the Jesus whom Paul preaches.” 14 Seven sons of a Jewish high priest named Sceva were doing this. 15 But the evil spirit answered them, “Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are you?” 16 And the man in whom the evil spirit was leaped on them, mastered all of them, and overpowered them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded. 17 And this became known to all residents of Ephesus, both Jews and Greeks; and fear fell upon them all; and the name of the Lord Jesus was extolled. 18 Many also of those who were now believers came, confessing and divulging their practices. 19 And a number of those who practiced magic arts brought their books together and burned them in the sight of all; and they counted the value of them and found it came to fifty thousand pieces of silver. 20 So the word of the Lord grew and prevailed mightily. I would say that the final result has already been demonstrated to her. She persists at her own spiritual and corporal risk.

A nominally Baptist family received help via actual exorcism by Fr. Michael Maginot (soon to be a motion picture, actually). Your wife’s cousin would do well to follow their example.

She is fighting something. Perhaps it’s demons, but it could also be mental illness. Perhaps some further inquiry can figure out what type of help she needs. Either way, she could use prayers.

That’s certainly not a healthy attitude. Satan is not hiding behind every tree, and even if he were, it is nothing that should make the redeemed of the Lord afraid. We overcome by the blood of the Lamb and the word of our testimony.

Perhaps—and I say this tentatively because I don’t know all the details and personalities involved, perhaps—having come from a Baptist background, your wife’s cousin is suddenly in an environment where the reality of demonic forces are not just believed but talked about much more often and sometimes less cautiously but always more enthusiastically. Compared to many Baptists, I suspect Pentecostals might appear quite superstitious in that many of us have had moments where things have happened, whether in a church service or in a random place, that have left us shaking our heads in wonder or has left the hair on the back of our necks standing up.

Unlike in the Catholic Church, Pentecostals are not shy about conducting exorcisms right in the middle of a church service if the opportunity presents itself. Also, we have to become familiar when things just don’t seem right given the often subtle warning signs. If you are in a church service, and someone starts to violently shake, how do you know if that person is demon possessed, physically/mentally ill, or simply feeling the Holy Spirit? These are questions anyone would have, logically, so people have to be educated about these things.

So, her behavior could just be that she’s fascinated a little too much with a whole dimension of the Christian faith that she was never exposed to in her previous church. If that’s the case, hopefully with time and proper guidance, she will mature in her understanding and her odd behavior will lessen.

I’m confused. Who is she trying to call Satan out of? Herself or someone else?

If herself, it would be odd from the viewpoint of a Pentecostal. We believe that born again Christians cannot be demon possessed because the Holy Spirit already dwells in them. There is a level of demonic oppression that can come to believers who give way to Satan through sin, but entire possession of a Christian by an evil spirit is, in our minds, impossible.

Either way,demonic possession or oppression is not something the possessed person can really solve on their own. They need someone strong in the faith and full of the Spirit to cast the demon out.

If she is as new to all this as it sounds, she shouldn’t be exorcising any demon out of anyone. This is really not something for novices.

I would call Max Von Sydow.
Seriously though, I would contact a physician, she might be in need of some kind of help.

To hit a couple points:

• A couple months ago this same cousin posted a LENGTHY statement on Facebook bashing Satan, 20 mins later she left for work and her car tire came completely off the rim and she crashed head on into a tree. She was mostly ok (bruised a good bit), but contributed it to Satan and his evil ways. Since then she’s been on the warpath about him.

• This Pentecostal Church is very charismatic. Speaking in tongues a lot. It’s to a point, like I’ve mentioned, that every misfortune is contributed to Satan; yet if you ask her a simple question (what are you going to eat for dinner?) her repy is “whatever the Lord wants me to have”.

• I tried meekly to tell her about the dangers of what she’s doing and that at the very least,
    St.Michael is a protector, but I was quickly dismissed and told that Jesus is all she needs to “defeat” Satan.

I appreciate the insight, as I’ve mentioned it’s not good that she keeps invoking Satan only to throw oil around her house.

Let me ask you a question. Does she use binding and loosing language when she’s talking about satan?

I don’t think she’s trying to exorcise demons. This sounds more like her simply rebuking satan for every misfortune that ever happens in her life. I agree with you that this attitude is unhealthy and ranting about satan on Facebook is over the top.

It would be more beneficial for her spiritual life to thank God and praise him for bringing her through trials and temptations (whether they were instigated by satan or not). Also, rather than trying to “defeat” satan (which is unnecessary because Jesus has already defeated death, hell and the grave and we share in that victory), she should “plead the blood” whenever she travels or on behalf of her family and friends, being confident that the blood of Christ that was shed for us is more powerful than anything satan can manufacture against us.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.