Pentecostal first steps . .

Hi all,

I’m not sure if this is the right place for this, but you guys have been so gracious and Godly in your responses to my other thread that I thought that this would OK.

I’m getting ready to check out a Catholic Mass for the first time. As a life long Protestant, I’m a little anxious about the whole thing . . . I’ve been in Pentecostal / Evangelical churches since I was born.

I really need to find a way to be sure that my local Catholic Church is orthodox before I check it out. I’ve never seen a Mass or even set foot in a Catholic Church, so I wouldn’t know the difference between a “liberal” parish and an orthodox one. Is the Priest in line with the Magesterium of the Church? I would hate to have my first experience be negative because of an indifferent priest or a flawed Eucharist.

Is there some sort of “lookup” for Catholic Churches and priests? Have any of you ever visited the Church of the Redeemer in Mechanicsville, Virginia?

My God bless you all in His infinite goodness,

Rich B

Haven’t been there bt here’s their website
churchredeemer.org/

Hello disconnector:) Will you let us know how your first Mass goes?

Hello disconnector:) Will you let us know how your first Mass goes?

Yes please do. I’ve only been to a few myself. I love them. Maybe we can compare notes. :slight_smile:

saintbenedictparish.org/category.cfm?uid=6034&context=category

This looks like the most Orthodox church in the Richmond area. I don’t know how far it is from you though.

Rich,

Do you have any Catholic friends? Maybe they could shed some light on your question.

I don’t know a single Catholic (other than you guys :))

Catholicism is the exception here in the American south east. Every one that I know is Protestant and either Baptist or Assembly of God.

Going to Mass is going to be like a trip to the Moon for me :eek:

Rich B

[quote=Disconnector]I don’t know a single Catholic (other than you guys :))

Catholicism is the exception here in the American south east. Every one that I know is Protestant and either Baptist or Assembly of God.

Rich B
[/quote]

:rotfl: You will LOVE it:) You will feel the presence of God there like no where else:)

I looked at some of the pictures on Redeemer’s site, it doesn’t look like a orthodox parish.

This is their alter:eek:

http://www.churchredeemer.org/activities/2003Easter/Web/dir1/dscn0626.jpg

http://www.saintbenedictparish.org/stores/store1358/products/62317.jpg
This is St Benedicts in Richmond

Thanks Rayne . . . this is exactly what I’m talking about. I have no idea what a proper altar is supposed to look like or if the way it looks is even important.

The first one looks pretty much like the inside of a evangelical church. Very simple and plain. My home church built a new sanctuary that seats 3,000 folks and several members of the board threatened to quit when a pastor recommended that we get some nice stained glass windows. The feeling is that ornamentation is to be avoided and the money spent on missions and the poor.

The second one is gorgeous . . . I’ll Mapquest the directions and let you guys know how far away it is.

Anyone else have any knowledge of Catholic Churches in the Richmond Virginia area?

Rich B

OK, St. Benedict’s is only 14 miles away . . . looks like I’ll be loking into that one.

I just sent an email to the director of education at the Church of the Redeemer about RCIA classes. Since they are almost within walking distance, they would be better for weekly meetings.

Hmmmm . . . this is all coming together :smiley:

Rich B

I hope you will enjoy your very first mass. Please let us know how it goes and ask us all of the questions you want.

Karen

[quote=Disconnector]OK, St. Benedict’s is only 14 miles away . . . looks like I’ll be loking into that one.

I just sent an email to the director of education at the Church of the Redeemer about RCIA classes. Since they are almost within walking distance, they would be better for weekly meetings.

Hmmmm . . . this is all coming together :smiley:

Rich B
[/quote]

If Redeemer has such an alter at their parish (not consistant with the GIRM) I wouldn’t trust their RCIA program to be inline with church teaching. I looked at a bunch of their pictures, some weird stuff they allow.

Hey, read Scott Hahns “The Lambs Supper” :

amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/0385496591/qid=1114233790/sr=8-9/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i9_xgl14/701-4255777-2505950

I STRONGLY reccomend reading this soon. The mass will totally come together for you. TRUST ME.

Well, I hope it will be a delightable and enlightening moon trip for you. :thumbsup: Do let us know how you go; I’ve never known an inquiring protestant myself… (most are either silently ignorant or loudly bashing) :thumbsup:

[quote=Disconnector]Thanks Rayne . . . this is exactly what I’m talking about. I have no idea what a proper altar is supposed to look like or if the way it looks is even important.
[/quote]

Objectively, it’s not important how it looks; but given the circumstance, it can reflect the parish’s, collectively, attitude toward worhip.

A little over view on what to expect.

mycatholictradition.com/catholic-mass.html

By the way congratulations on your journey home. :slight_smile:

[quote=Curious]Yes please do. I’ve only been to a few myself. I love them. Maybe we can compare notes. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

HI Curious,
I hope you dont mind my tagging a post onto yours.
Matthew 10:16 Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves. Therefore, be wise as serpants and harmless as doves.
walk in love
edwinG

[quote=Disconnector]I don’t know a single Catholic (other than you guys :))

Rich B
[/quote]

Hey, I can understand what you mean in the Southeast. As an observation in the deep Bible Belt, the area is truly a Catholic Mission field. Thanks and God Bless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.