Pentecostalism

I’m 14 and attend a Roman Catholic school in Sydney, Australia. Many students in my grade are trying to spread Pentecostalism throughout my grade. They are inviting many students to their Pentecostal program and many students are attending these programs. They are teaching and spreading many heresies and errors. How do I stop them without getting any teachers involved. One time I tried to tell them that their church wasn’t built by Jesus nor Peter but they responded " it doesn’t matter, all God wants us to do is worship him"

What kinds of false doctrine are they trying to spread? Belief in the Bible as the sole authority in doctrine (sola scriptura)? Salvation by faith alone (sola fide)? If you let us know what false doctrines they are spreading we’ll be better able to assist you. :slight_smile:

Yes God wants all to worship Him, But how?
Before Christ God only accepted the Jewish faith after Christ God only accepts Christ’s Church as the proper worship.

To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everyone else, Jesus told this parable: “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’

“But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’

“I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”

Luke 18:9-14

You are right to be concerned and you have more courage than me. The best way to counteract error is by asserting truth. Know your faith, educate others, pray, and if need be, get adults involved. The students spreading Pentecostalism probably don’t mean ill, but it’s a Catholic school and they should leave proselytizing at the door. Avoid pride and do all things from an attitude of love. God be with you.

God loves everyone, but he taught a certain way to worship Him. There’s nothing self-righteous about it.

There are quiet a few differences between the different Pentecostal sects. Are these people Assembly of God Pentecostals, Oneness Pentecostals or some other version?

It’s not likely you’ll be able to stop it by yourself. Why do you want to avoid teacher involvement? Is it because you are afraid that you’ll be targeted as the tattle-tale? Please don’t let that keep you silent. You can talk to the school counselor or principal in confidence and let them know what is happening. You can also talk to your teacher after class, just like you’d talk to that teacher if you needed homework help.

The teachers know how to put a stop to anti-Catholic proselytizing. Chances are, there’s already a rule against it in the school handbook.

Where it is appropriate, your teachers might even see this as an opportunity to give some lessons on how to defend the Catholic Church with courtesy and love.

One time I tried to tell them that their church wasn’t built by Jesus nor Peter but they responded " it doesn’t matter, all God wants us to do is worship him"

Now they’re treading on dangerous ground. Who or what do they believe God is, if they throw Jesus and Peter out the window? When I join someone in prayer to God, I want to know that they’re not leading me in prayer to something completely alien to me.

The Jehovah’s Witnesses want us to worship God with them, but the JWs believe Jesus is just the Archangel Michael. I will not worship God with them.

The Mormons want us to worship God with them, but Joseph Smith (their founder) taught that God the Father had a father, and a grandfather, and a great-grandfather (and more), and that Jesus is the next generation son of God the Father. I will not worship God with them.

I realize that Pentacostals are not as extreme as the JWs or the Mormons. But when someone tosses aside the unbroken apostolic church founded by Jesus and starts substituting their own “Holy Spirit inspired” ideas, you get some really weird and dangerous stuff creeping in.

[quote="josephback, post:6, topic:305467"]
God loves everyone, but he taught a certain way to worship Him. There's nothing self-righteous about it.

[/quote]

If you mean that we worship by loving God, by justice, mercy and faithfulness rather than which pew we sit in then we’re agreed.

Why don’t you want any of your teachers involved? The best defense against this kind of attack is TO KNOW YOUR FAITH. If you are not learning it from them, then the teachers, administration and your parents need to know that your religious education program is not preparing you to defend the faith as an adult. The next time someone gives you a loopy response ask them to cite their authority.

Why do you need to “stop them”?

If it is not of God, it will fizzle out. You are called to be light and salt. Know your faith, study the Catechism and read your bible daily. Pray for them and let your light shine. If God leads you to do so, you can start a Catholic prayer group where you can practice Lectio Divina on the daily readings for Mass.

The Pentecostal students have part of the truth, but not all the truth.
The Holy Spirit was poured upon the Apostles at Pentecost. One of the gifts received, and emphasized by Pentecostals, was the gift of tongues. The Apostles, who had hidden in fear after the crucifixion, were filled with a new zeal for God that allowed them to spread the Gospel throughout the world.
It is not necessary to stray from the Church to experience the gifts of the Holy Spirit, or the charisms. Indeed there is a Charismatic movement within the Catholic Church. Many Catholics manifest the gifts of the Holy Spirit, including the gift of tongues.
One of the differences between Pentecostal (or Charismatic) groups within the Catholic Church and those outside has to do with focus. The focus should be on Christ, not simply on the gifts. The gifts are to be used for the upbuilding of the God’s people, not merely for one’s own benefit. They should lead you into a greater love of God and His Church.
As others have said before me, learn as much as possible about your own Faith, and about what the Church teaches. Read and pray the scriptures daily. Attend Mass and experience the reality of the Eucharist in your life. This living experience of God, especially in the Eucharist, is missing in the lives of those outside the Church.
While the truths taught by the Church are relatively simple, contained within the Apostles Creed, there is a depth to the richness of the Catholic Faith that will never be reached in a lifetime.

I only know a few.
[LIST]
*]No saints
*]Marian Apparitions satanic
*]Graven images
*]Dont call a priest father
*]Mary is not queen of heaven
*]Mary not new eve
*]Pastors not priests
*]No mediators
[/LIST]

Yep, sounds like a veritable cesspool of heresy there. Are they meeting on school grounds, or off?

You might benefit from a very good book that covers some of these topics called Catholicism and Fundamentalism.

A lot of what draws people to Pentecostalism is the emotional nature of the worship, and the chasing after signs. Unfortunately human beings are prone to these things.

Use this as an opportunity to equip yourself to refute their errors. We will pray for you! :highprayer:

On school grounds.

In that case you really need to get the teachers and administrators involved. Keep going to different people and expressing the concerns you have here until someone listens.

It is possible that there is a teacher there bringing this in, or encouraging it.

I am going to my Catholic Studies teacher tomorrow to inform her as she also teaches these students.

You and your school will be in our prayers. May God richly bless your defense of the One Faith.

hi Jordan, i am also from Sydney, now living in melbourne tho, i found for me what really helped was going to the parousia media events which are held every second wednesday (guardians)at st Charbel’s church. there they gave me the tools to help defend my faith, plus you will find alot of young people your age who are also wanting to develope their faith aswell.
God Bless

I meant the Eucharist and Mass.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.