People accusing God of being a murderer?

This one really bugs me. People accusing God of having no morals because of things like the Flood. How do I defend against this?:confused:

God has the authority to take life in the same way He has the authority to give life.

[quote="Schatzl, post:1, topic:329821"]
This one really bugs me. People accusing God of having no morals because of things like the Flood. How do I defend against this?:confused:

[/quote]

There is no need to defend it - it is just a story, an allegory at best. Characters in fiction 'murder' all the time. Whether the character of 'God' in the Christian sense acts morally is a good question for debate - I would say that the character has a very fluid sense of morality, but it varies based on which interpretation is read or proposed.

IMO, Just as the above says, God cannot be a murderer, he is the creator and we are his creations, He can take life just as he gives it. Sometimes its easier for people to blame god than to blame themselves.

If I remember correctly that flood was caused because people themselves were immoral. Leads me to think about the state of the current world.

“Many men in this world afflict the Lord. I desire souls to console Him to soften the anger of the Heavenly Father. I wish, with My Son, for souls who will repair, by their suffering and their poverty, for the sinners and ingrates.

“In order that the world might know His anger, the Heavenly Father is preparing to inflict a great chastisement on all mankind. With My Son, I have intervened so many times to appease the wrath of the Father. I have prevented the coming of calamities by offering Him the sufferings of the Son on the Cross, His Precious Blood, and beloved souls who console Him and form a cohort of victim souls."

“If men do not repent and better themselves, the Father will inflict a terrible punishment on all humanity. It will be a punishment greater than the deluge, such as one will never have seen before. Fire will fall from the sky and will wipe out a great part of humanity, the good as well as the bad, sparing neither priests nor faithful. The survivors will find themselves so desolate that they will envy the dead. The only arms which will remain for you will be the Rosary and the Sign left by My Son. Each day recite the prayers of the Rosary. With the Rosary, pray for the Pope, the Bishops and the priests." - Our Lady of Akita

Pray

God is not a fictional character in a book. The Bible is a document of salvation history based on facts and the revelation of God to us. It is a compilation of the best evidence of God ever found.

Each religion offers a similar defence of their religion and religious texts.

I went to a Catholic School and we covered the Bible and some other religions texts, this was completed in Religious Study class, not in History. Nor in any ‘evidence’ subjects e.g Physics or any science.

I don’t doubt that you hold it to be true, just as other religions do with their Gods, but I cannot see how all these Gods can exist. The more rationale explanation is that religions are fictitious and were the work of men.

Sorry if you are a born-again atheist, but this is the Sacred Scripture section of the Apologetics forum on a CATHOLIC message board. You are not helping anyone by trollish comments and denigration of the faith.

I am not denigrating your faith. I believe that you believe what it espouses.

One of the earliest heresies/schisms in the Church was Marcionism. Marcion said that Jesus was a different God from the God of the OT, who was a meany. Jesus was the God of love. He rejected the authority of the OT, altogether. And, by the way, before the canon of the New Testament was officially decided, Marcion jumped the gun and said that he recognized only Luke and ten of Paul’s epistles.

So, this is just perhaps a partial resurrection of that old heresy. It was condemned then and it should remain condemned.

One of the previous posts suggested that those OT stories were just allegories or fable, etc. That’s equivalent to Marcion’s rejection of the teaching of the OT.

Certainly, no believing Catholic should dismiss the idea that God is a god of justice. That is, through a short chain of logic, saying that Jesus’ death on the cross was not necessary. Whoa, there, fella.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.