People coming to Confession more these days?

Been noticing that when I go to the Sacrament of Reconciliation, and I just came back from confession, a lot more people seem to be going these days? It's a good sign to be sure.

Seemed that way, at least today.

I finally went back this last week, also (it had only been 23 years!). I noticed that he had a couple lined up yesterday before Mass and we normally only do confession on Saturday afternoons- so at least 3 people talked him into hearing one at different times. :thumbsup:

[quote="omegapd, post:3, topic:294908"]
I finally went back this last week, also (it had only been 23 years!).

[/quote]

Good to hear. Welcome back!

[quote="omegapd, post:3, topic:294908"]
I finally went back this last week, also (it had only been 23 years!). I noticed that he had a couple lined up yesterday before Mass and we normally only do confession on Saturday afternoons- so at least 3 people talked him into hearing one at different times. :thumbsup:

[/quote]

This drives me absolutely CRAZY! I work Saturday nights, and so I haven't been to confession in weeks. But tomorrow I plan on flinging myself on the priest's mercy before the Liturgy. I miss communion!

Our confession lines are ridiculously long throughout the week, and sometimes Saturday evenings, and always after Mass on Sundays.

On a light note, at communion in my parish I find 2% on average still in the pews and not partaking, including myself. Now that's a lot of people whom we can assume are still in friendship with our Lord. Don't get me wrong, this is indeed good news, and it could be an indicator for me to work harder in my spiritual development. However, the saturday and pre-mass confessions are regularly without a draw of penitents requiring cleansing. This is good news too. To accommodate the whole congregation and have them ready enough to manifest such a large number of communions for the following day, Saturday confessions would need to be required to accommodate it, but I see none in my parishes except at Easter or Christmas. Let's just say the cleaning staff need not work on the confessionals more than once a month. Interestingly, this same pattern is the same in the 4 churches I attend in my diocese, and one is a cathedral with the most number of attendants.

Now there could be many answers to this, but I have concern. Either I'm marked for special treatment by satan who is determined to keep me in a capital state of culpability(or conditions that make it so), or I'm being too demanding on myself(scrupulosity). Another is that Catholics have been swayed to protestant like less demanding conditions of communion, and they therefore take the liberty. Who knows, perhaps I'm wrong and scripture somewhere has taught that regardless of the conditions for a sin to be classed mortal, it's OK now to go ahead and take communion without absolution. Of course this is hardly likely.

Sin wise, and assuming the secular life style still influences our brothers and sisters at least to a little extent, it would seem none of them ever fall to the cardinal sins,.......... except me. :rolleyes: Another reason is perhaps, just perhaps I do a better job of self analysis, or am more thorough in my pre-confession reflection. Perhaps the percentages are because natural abilities to recall are better in some than for others, I really can't say.

So I'm almost ready to throw caution to the wind and just go up there and partake. But that would be too convenient, besides it would gain me nothing, as it would gain them nothing to take communion in the wrong state.

All this to say there is almost a 95% attendance in communion that doesn't equate to the 1% attendance to the preparation for it, if the era of the 50's-60's is a good gauge. I recall at that time they equated to almost the same, with usually slightly less percentage on the penitential. The lineups were long every weekend. The statistics are out of place for the far more decadent and less charitable era of today.

There is a good test to see if I'm on the right track. Perhaps if a few homilies in succession with a review of the conditions for communion changes results, then I was right, otherwise I would need to consider another cause.

I don't know, when I went today at 4:05 (starts at 4) there was no line, walked right in. Spent a total of about 7 or 8 minutes in the church. Which I was really happy about because I was exhausted and not feeling well. When I left there were five people. Maybe I just beat everyone there today.

3:30 pm start where I went and there were already 5 of us waiting at 3:15, including a Nun. At my home parish, a former priest used to tell us in homilies that he did his best reading during Confession because nobody was showing up.:eek:

There is always a line at my parish. :thumbsup:

This evening a visiting priest walked in and did a double take when he saw the line.

[quote="TheDoors, post:5, topic:294908"]
This drives me absolutely CRAZY! I work Saturday nights, and so I haven't been to confession in weeks. But tomorrow I plan on flinging myself on the priest's mercy before the Liturgy. I miss communion!

[/quote]

Doesn't your diocese have a "reconciliation finder?"

Saturday doesn't always work for people, but there is one parish near me that has confession every evening, and on Sunday morning at 8am!:thumbsup:

[quote="TheDoors, post:5, topic:294908"]

[/quote]

Everyone has a right to Confession. If normal Confession times are not suitable for you then make an appointment to see the priest at a mutually agreeable time.

[quote="KCT, post:10, topic:294908"]
There is always a line at my parish. :thumbsup:

This evening a visiting priest walked in and did a double take when he saw the line.

[/quote]

At my parish too. They have confession before Mass on Wednesday evenings. Confession after 8:30 AM Mass on Saturday mornings (Two Lines) and Confession on Saturday evenings before mass. On the Saturday morning, often people are lining up for confession even before Mass is over!

Confession attendance was up 100% this past week at my parish! I just hope the two of us didn't wear Father out. ;)

It doesn't seem like it to me. I've been to all three Churches in my immediate area and each time for confession there's usually only a small handful of people, myself included, the entire time. I'd say less than ten each time I've gone. Perhaps most just go to confession at a scheduled time with their Priest and don't go to the saturday ones? I would hope not because I see how everyone is going up for Communion. I am not judging anyone else but it seems a stretch to assume they can go months without sinning and not need confession, despite taking the Eucharist every Mass they attend? I hope people aren't desecrating the Lord in large number!

or does it mean we are naughtier these days :D :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.