People For Life Protest Wolf

Just before Democrat gubernatorial candidate Tom Wolf spoke to dozens of people, a peaceful protest against the candidate was taking place.
Pro-Life supporters stood at the corner of West 38th Street and Pittsburgh Avenue, with signs in hand.

The group of people says they don’t agree with Wolf’s stance on abortion and say they can’t support a candidate who is endorsed by the “National Abortion Rights Action League”.

yourerie.com/news/news-article/d/story/people-for-life-protest-wolf/10338/NDueLrff1kyXxPeoCQlCow

riverreporter.com/newsfront

Maybe the protesters are having an effect - Wolf was leading Governor Corbett by almost 20 points in some earlier polls.

The article notes the earlier CBS poll that showed that was skewed by being limited to only polling people who had and used the internet.

Poll shows PA governor’s race tightening

HARRISBURG, PA — A recent poll has Republican Gov. Tom Corbett pulling within single digits of challenger Democrat Tom Wolf. The survey says Wolf would win the race, with 42% of the vote, while Corbett would gain 33%.

But the gap is much narrower than that shown in other polls. Part of the reason may be that the CBS/New York Times poll was conducted by YouGov and includes only people with a connection to the Internet, which excludes about 20% of residents in the United States.

A statement on the YouGov website says, “YouGov has created a panel of over 100,000 registered voters who will be interviewed four times between July and November for the nation’s newspaper of record and premier television network. The panelists come from each of the 50 states and 435 congressional districts. They are interviewed on the Internet and have been weighted to be representative of registered voters in each congressional district using data from the U.S. Bureau of the Census and other sources.”

Wolf’s stance on abortion will not affect my decision to vote against Corbett.

Can you explain why?

Those voting for abortion funding politicians should examine their conscience.

My friends in Pennsylvania say the whole Gosnell trial opened a lot of eyes in regards to abortion.

Corbett’s administration has been a shambles from the start. His cabinet officials are running through a revolving door. Republicans in the state legislature, from ‘tea party’ to conservative to moderate, have turned their backs on him. Republicans have unbeatable majorities in both the House and Senate, and virtually none of his initiatives have made it through.

He has slashed education budgets to the point that many school districts may never recover.

He has allowed out-of-state gas drillers to extract natural gas with essentially no concern for the environmental and public health damage and without implementing an extraction tax. The state is losing billions of dollars in potential tax revenue because of his sweetheart deals with the drillers.

The two most important issues on the minds of Pennsylvanians are the economy and education. His two big initiatives were the privatization of the state’s liquor control system and pension reform. Neither of those got anywhere, while he ignored education and the economy.

Basically, Rome is burning and Nero is fiddling. I have not found a single person, from blue-collar conservative Catholic Republicans to big city liberal Democrats who wants to see another four years of dysfunction.

For people who support Corbett because he’s a “Pro-Life” Catholic: **He has signed 34 execution warrants since taking office in 2011. **

Can you explain how any of what you posted qualifies as proportionate reasoning for you to vote against Corbett and I assume vote for Wolf, or is there a third party candidate you are considering voting for? Regarding the execution warrants, even if you view him as not being pro-life enough, if you are considering voting for Wolf, why would you vote for him given his views on abortion?

Corbett had/would have absolutely no effect on abortion in Pennsylvania, and the rest of his administration has been nothing but harmful.

There aren’t any third party candidates that I’m aware of.

The oil companies brought jobs to the state. My friends are happy about it.

Mostly out of state people coming in, living in trailers.

My father-in-law lives in the heart of drilling country. I asked him what the difference has been. He said, “Crime’s up.”

One of my wife’s cousins works as a pipefitter for a contractor that works with the drilling companies. He’s seen the environmental damage firsthand, and says, “They (the drillers) have no idea what’s really happening down there (in the ground). No one does.”

I’m not going to debate it. I don’t know what will happen to the environment or public health. I do know that the people of Pennsylvania are losing billions in potential tax revenue.

Bottom line is, whether fracking is good or bad, Corbett has bungled it and I don’t trust anything that comes out of his administration regarding it.

You haven’t presented a response to what proportionate reasons there are for you to vote for Wolf.

Pennsylvania has joined other states in restricting coverage for abortion in health care policies sold on the new insurance exchanges.

Gov. Tom Corbett’s office announced without fanfare Monday afternoon that he had signed the bill into law. It would allow policies sold through the exchanges to provide for abortion only in cases of rape or incest or to save the life of the woman.

post-gazette.com/news/state/2013/06/17/Corbett-signs-anti-abortion-coverage-bill-in-Pennsylvania/stories/201306170159#ixzz3AGqCL5cn

The new standards take effect in 180 days and would require freestanding clinics that perform abortions to comply with the same safety standards as freestanding outpatient surgery centers, which include requirements for wider hallways and doorways, bigger operating rooms, full-time nurses and more.

The law also requires one unannounced inspection of each abortion facility, a mandate that abortion-rights supporters in the Legislature had pressed as an alternative to the tougher facility standards that passed the Republican-majority Legislature.

philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2011/12/22/pa-gov-signs-tougher-abortion-clinic-rules/\

By my own conscience they are proportionate enough for me.

I won’t convince you, you won’t convince me.

Could you explain specific proportionate reasons that your own conscience thinks makes it acceptable for you to vote for Tom Wolf? I assume you think it is acceptable for you to do that.

IV. Erroneous Judgment

1790 A human being must always obey the certain judgment of his conscience. If he were deliberately to act against it, he would condemn himself.** Yet it can happen that moral conscience remains in ignorance and makes erroneous judgments about acts to be performed or already committed.**
1791 This ignorance can often be imputed to personal responsibility. This is the case when a man “takes little trouble to find out what is true and good, or when conscience is by degrees almost blinded through the habit of committing sin.”59 In such cases, the person is culpable for the evil he commits. (1704)
1792 Ignorance of Christ and his Gospel, bad example given by others, enslavement to one’s passions, assertion of a mistaken notion of autonomy of conscience, rejection of the Church’s authority and her teaching, lack of conversion and of charity: these can be at the source of errors of judgment in moral conduct. (133)

Try the prosecution of the repugnant late-term baby killer Kermit Gosnell. Ridge and Rendell ignored this monster. And then, his signing of death warrants is justified by the nature of the crimes. Is there even one of these killers who did not commit a heinous act? :cool:

1. Even though the GOP has a nominal majority, the fact remains that liberals have a functional majority.
  2. Education budgets have increased dramatically over the past four years. You believe an outright lie.
  3. Pa. taxes drillers much more than other states, when you consider that we tax businesses at 9.9%, while other states such as Texas have NO corporate tax. They are providing many thousands of jobs in our state.
  4. Pension reform and liquor privatization (an issue I couldn’t care less about) got nowhere b/c progressives control the legislature. Corbett, unlike Obama, for example, does not think that he is a dictator.
  5. Dysfunction is created when you promise grandiose pensions, and when you spend more money than you could ever hope to recoup through a fair taxation system. The answer is to defeat liberals, wherever they exist.
  6. Talking about Gov. Corbett’s view on capital punishment gives people cover (in their own minds) for voting for candidates who believe in subsidized abortion-on-demand. :rolleyes: Rob

Thanks for posting this bit from the Catechism estesbob … and for your emphases via boldings … which show their applicability in this case.

Keep it in a word processing document for cut and paste repost. It will be needed again.

I had a couple of relatives who were constantly after me to abandon pro-life candidates for “other than pro-life” candidates … because either the other was “better in other areas,” or the pro-life “was not so good elsewhere,” etc.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIIgBf9z-JLtDVvF3FmLYSWysSba42zWHX2h5MZ8YAPcXJ9XIG

What was the difference? She was going to have to give the goodies up. Grandma had not always been so perfect … and in fact was old, sick and possibly less entitled to the bed than this creative, bold new occupant. Sadly, in the end, it did not occur to her … until it was too late that …

But when they proposed that the pro-life candidate wouldn’t get any more pro-life results than their proposed substitute - or that the pro-life INCUMBENT didn’t stop abortion (notwithstanding that he or she was trying - but blocked by the opposition) - and that it
made no difference therefore on the issue - I’d always come back with … "well if it makes no difference … I’ll stick with the pro-life candidate. I’m not going to gamble my salvation on a candidate that doesn’t even promise ** to fight against the most intrinsic evil of our time." And further … " … if it really makes no difference - YOU should vote for the pro-lifer just in case …" :wink:

IMO you demonstrated quite a good understanding of the Catechism and how it might apply to the moral questions posited on this thread. :thumbsup:

How can someone from Pennsylvania have such an incorrect view of how politics works here? Progressives control the legislature? Mike Turzai is progressive? Go tell him that. I *dare *you. Speaker Smith is progressive? Dominic Pileggi and Joe Scarnati are Progressives? Seriously? Go tell Daryl Metcalfe that you think he’s a Progressive. :shrug:

Corbett indeed acts like a dictator. Are you sure you’re familiar with Pennsylvania?

Oh, the poor, poor frackers. Their taxes are just too high! Every state around PA that allows fracking taxes it at higher rates. What are they going to do? Go frack somewhere else? Where? They can’t go anywhere else, because the gas is here! Thousands of jobs? Show me the numbers: how many PENNSYLVANIA residents have gotten new jobs from fracking. I’m sure there are a lot of them. But you make it look like we’ve been led to the Promised Land instead of Gasland.

Education budgets are abysmally low. The money that Corbett is putting into the system is not funding basic ed at appropriate levels. Independent, unbiased numbers demonstrate that conclusively. Check the Education Policy Leadership Center. If you’re looking at anything coming out of the Corbett administration as the truth, you are looking in the wrong place.

I can’t keep up with this thread. I haven’t the wherewithal. I don’t try to convince Right Wingers that they’re wrong, I don’t try to convince Liberal Elites that they’re wrong. There’s no point.

I’ve been a registered Republican since 1984. I’m voting against Corbett.

I know, right? :kiss4you:

As for your 6., I really couldn’t care less about Corbett’s record vis-a-vis capital punishment. I just tossed that in the mix to muddy the waters. Frankly, I’m an anti-abortion pro-death penalty Catholic. If I were governor, I’d sign execution warrants, too. :cool: I’m still voting for Wolf.

And with the mood I’m in now, I might just start trolling this thread…oh, yes…there will be trolling…:smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.