People From the Old Testament

What happened to all the prophets and other holy men prior to the resurrection of Christ?

They went to the LIMBO of our Fathers. That’s where Jesus went after His death & before Ressurection. Google: MYSTICALBAPTISM. A church theologian wrote this.

They are in the “waiting Room” waiting for Jesus to guide them back to Heaven.

As said above, they went to the “Limbo of Our Fathers”, a place where those people who had lived good lives on earth went to wait for Jesus to open Heaven to them.

When Jesus died, the Creed says he “descended into Hell”, meaning not that he went to the Hell where bad people go but rather to the Limbo of the Fathers, and he opened the gates of Heaven to them. So all the good people who had died before him, including prophets and holy men, were now allowed into Heaven.

Depends on the persons. There are a few specifics, and then generality among the remaining.

[1] Enoch, who never saw death but was translated directly and glorified [Genesis 5:24; Hebrews 11:5 KJB],

[2] Elijah, who never saw death but was translated, going up in a fiery chariot and glorified, appearing in the New Testament with resurrected Moses, in “glory” [2 Kings 2:1,11; Matthew 17:3; Mark 9:4; Luke 9:30,31 KJB],

[3] Moses, who died, was buried by Jesus, and resurrected by Jesus who was in the express image of the Father, and is the highest messenger of the Father’s love, and taken to Heaven, after seen alive in the New Testament, in “glory” [Matthew 17; Mark 9; Luke 9; 2 Peter 1:16; Romans 5:14 KJB],

[4] the firstfruits/wavesheaf specially resurrected martyrs who were buried around Jerusalem at Jesus’ own resurrection, and taken back to Heaven with Him in triumph [Isaiah 26:19; Matthew 27:52,53; Ephesians 4:8; Psalms 68:18; KJB]:

Jesus is obviously resurrected and ascended into Heaven.

As for everyone else, like King David, read what Peter said in the book of Acts 2:29,34, 13:36. See what the wisest man under inspiration of the Holy Ghost said in Ecclesiastes 9:5,6,10. Read what Moses wrote of Adam in Genesis 3:19 and the Psalmist in Psalms 104:29, 146:4 and again Solomon in Ecclesiastes 12:7. Read what Job, the righteous man, said, in Job 14:5-15, 21:23-26. Read how man (Adam) was created in the beginning, and then reverse the process, see Genesis 2:7.

They’re returned unto the dust, and remain dust unto their respective resurrections in the times to come. God’s breath of life returned to Him until that day.

This may help you - Not a Dead Link.

I note that this answer from EvangAlived, who does not appear to be Catholic, is inconsistent with the official Catholic teaching in a number of ways.

The link provided also does not appear to be a Catholic website.

Wouldn’t be the first time that happened. Could you please show me where I erred from scripture? That would be appreciated, and what is commanded in scripture.

Which points do you disagree with, and why, specifically from scripture please (Isaiah 8:20).

My main issue with what you said is the contention that men die and lay in the grave as dust until the Last Day.

When a person dies, their body returns “unto the dust”, but the soul separates from the body, is judged by God, and sent to heaven (which may be via purgatory or directly) or hell. On the last day the souls will be reunited with their raised bodies, but the soul is continuing to exist in a wakeful state in Heaven or Hell (or purgatory, if left there by God till the last day) between death and the last day.

https://www.catholic.com/qa/what-happens-to-our-bodies-immediately-after-we-die

Before Jesus’ death, it was not possible for the souls of the just who had died to enter heaven. When Jesus died, he descended into the abode of the dead (“sheol” in Greek), and admitted the souls of the just who had died before him into Heaven. (CCC 631-637)

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p122a5p1.htm

The links I have posted contain Scriptural references.

Prior to the death of Jesus the righteous dead went to a good place called “Abraham’s bosom.” (See Luke 16:22)

Also known as Abraham’s bosom, the place referred to by Jesus in the parable of the rich man and Lazarus.

I believe they died.

All the best!

Mystical Baptism article on the Internet written by a Catholic Theologian, stated the LIMBO OF THE FATHERS which is a holding area.

Yep, that is what scripture (inspired of the Holy Ghost, which I cited) says.

Scripture says the person returns to dust. Abraham even admits he is nothing but ‘dust and ashes’ (Genesis 18:27) animated by the spirit/breath of God, which is His.

Sorry, no, that is pagan greek neo platonic dualism (is spiritualism), and is even cited in the online CCE as such. The Bible does not use the word ‘soul’ that way. Look at Genesis 2:7. Adam was formed from [1] dust of the earth, and [2] the breath of life from God and he “became” a “living soul [creature/being]”.

The whole unit is the ‘living soul’. A man which has the breath of life taken from them, becomes a dead/lifeless soul and returns to dust. David is still dust, not in Heaven according to Peter in Acts.

No. For that would include the wicked then wouldn’t it?, which is exactly what satan desires (wicked in heaven). Read Ecclesiastes 12:7. It makes no distinction whatsoever. Also the same words are used for animals. See Ecclesiastes 3:19,20,21.

The word “soul” is also used for beasts/fish.

The Catholic faith is not Sola Scriptura.

I’ve stated the Catholic position. You’re stating the position of whatever faith tradition you come from.

We differ, and I’m not really interested in debating it with you further (maybe someone else is, in which case they are free to jump in). My main point in stating what I did on the thread is that you presented your viewpoint without noting that it was not the Catholic one. As this forum is called “Catholic Answers”, and we do our best to provide Catholic teaching here, I did not want anyone reading to get wrong ideas about what the Catholic church teaches.

Good bye and God Bless.

Ok.

I understand.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.