People incapable of living in a state of grace

Let us suppose that some people are incapable, through no fault of their own, of living in a perpetual state of grace. For example, a person with schizophrenia.

If this person disobeys the moral law in a grave matter (for which he had no guilt due to his state), would he be able to receive Holy Communion worthily without going to confession?

People who have these issues should see a spiritual director if they are able. If not, perhaps a close relative or friend could ask a priest if they wanted to help that person.

Otherwise, I would say that God is merciful and a person who has mental issues probably has the inside track on reduced culpability.

That means it is for some considerably more difficult for them to commit mortal sin and lose a state of grace.

Suppose I am blind and so sometimes crack my husband’s head with a cabinet door. Since I am constitutionally incapable of avoiding doing that, do I have to apologize to him?

We don’t go to confession in order to “get to” go to Communion; we go to confession to restore our relationship with God, and to receive from Him His aid in improving.

Is this state grace by your hand or by God hand? Sounds like your taking credit for it.

One of the conditions for something to be a mortal sin, is that the person committing the sin must know it is grave matter. The church says that people who through no fault of their own do not know the commandments of God, and the Church are held to whether or not they follow their conscience truly.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.