People of no religion outnumber Christians in England and Wales – study

The number of people who say they have no religion is rapidly escalating and significantly outweighs the Christian population in England and Wales, according to new analysis.

The proportion of the population who identify as having no religion – referred to as “nones” – reached 48.5% in 2014, almost double the figure of 25% in the 2011 census. Those who define themselves as Christian – Anglicans, Catholics and other denominations – made up 43.8% of the population.

“The striking thing is the clear sense of the growth of ‘no religion’ as a proportion of the population,” said Stephen Bullivant, senior lecturer in theology and ethics at St Mary’s Catholic University in Twickenham, who analysed data collected through British Social Attitudes surveys over three decades.

theguardian.com/world/2016/may/23/no-religion-outnumber-christians-england-wales-study

I don’t understand how it’s possible the number of Nones could have gone up nearly 25% in five years. :confused: But he is looking at different data than just the Census?!

These numbers aren’t too surprising given the number of Christians in the US is less than half the population as well.

Gallup found 75% in the USA “indentify with a Christian religion”: gallup.com/poll/187955/percentage-christians-drifting-down-high.aspx

Only about 38% of Americans attend church at least on a weekly basis…not a ringing endorsement for people who claim they are Christians…according to this article Catholic men fare much worse than Protestant men

abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=90372&page=1

I think these numbers are a little skewed. There are nones who believe in Christ, but are not part of any denomination, nor part of a “non-denominational community”

This is also true.

I say come back in another 20 years. Islam, by then, will have made significant inroads.

I agree with those who question the numbers, maybe the earlier year’s numbers were drawn from different data or asked in a different way.

Islam tends to retain its members at a higher rate, but don’t overestimate the power of a secular Western society, especially the media and peer pressure. Growing up in England will be a very different experience from what their parents had in the Mideast.
Islam will be a smaller force than Secular Humanism in 20 years.

We need to pray for Christian revival in Britain.

Godless education leads people to godlessness. Pretty simple.

According to Callum G. Brown, The Death of Christian Britain: Understanding Secularization 1800-2000 (Routledge, 2001), pp. 3-4:

In the year 2000 less than 8 per cent of people attend Sunday worship in any week, less than a quarter are members of any church, and fewer than a tenth of children attend a Sunday school. Fewer than half of couples get married in church, and about a third of couples cohabit without marriage. In England only a fifth of babies get baptized in the Church England, and in Scotland one estimate is that about a fifth are baptized in either the Church of Scotland or the Roman Catholic Church. By some calculations, as few as 3 per cent of people regularly attend church in some counties of England, and in most the non-churchgoers represent over 90 per cent of the population. If church participation is falling, all figures for Christian affiliation are at their lowest point in recorded history. Christian church membership accounts for less than 12 per cent of the people and is falling….So weak are the demographics of church connection that the government is now contemplating disestablishing the Church of England.

To be honest I can’t see how that is physically possible. The census is the most accurate and widest ranging capture

Not so simple at all.

A lot of the “nones” today did indeed have religious education.

That’s true. There are also Nones that believe in God but are not religious.

Two things,

firstly secular principles and ideology entered religious education some decades ago, although i think it is now being pushed out. If you like i can tell you about my experiences teaching in a Catholic school and my experience attending a Catholic University doing a master of teaching. i also did a thesis on 70 prospective teachers at the same university with regards to their opinions about religious education.

Secondly, secular education creates lawyers, teachers, government workers, teachers, media people etc who look to implement the culture they have been given to wider society. Under secular principles Christian culture is pushed out and the godless culture created by secular academics becomes the default with no opposition.

This has been the genesis of the culture war that has been so divisive in the last half century.

The end result is that people become godless because they have been enculturated that way, starting with education. Like Russia and China however, we know it breaks down in the long run. The question is only about how much damage will it to to western civilisation before it breaks.

Bentham’s Auto-Icon is grinning from ear to ear at this news in the South Cloisters of the main building of UCL in Bloomsbury.

Nope. They had education camps to brainwash the religion out of them.

Atheism is growing fast in Australia.
…along with drug addiction, mental illness, domestic violence, homelessness, youth suicide

abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/calls-for-political-action-on-suicide-prevention/7439788

Agreed.

In a way, you are right. I don’t know Britain, but in the US, much of Catholic and Protestant religious education was gutted of any doctrinal content, or anything that would suggest the need for conversion, in the late 1960s. Children were taught that religion is a means to an end, to facilitate making the world more equal, interchangeable, more “fair”; and also as a means of consolation. In other words, it doesn’t matter if Mary is mother of God, or if the Bible is inspired, or if the Trinity exists – if those beliefs comfort you, then they have meaning. If later something else comforts you, well that becomes “true”, at least for you, at least for awhile.

The Catholic Church began pulling out of that in recent years, especially with the Catechism, but some few, older catechists are still on that old track. I suspect the mainline churches are still on that track. At one time I would have said the Evangelicals were solid, now I am not so sure…I think it may vary a lot.

I know about 100 “nones,” and about 90 of them were brought up in devoutly religious homes, went to religious schools, went to church every Sunday, read the Christian bible, etc, etc.
Is that what you mean by “education camps” that brainwash the religion out of people?
If so…I guess, in a way, you are right.
Because for many of them, it was their religious education that convinced them to leave religion.

Wait…are you trying to imply that the majority of people who are addicted to drugs, homeless on the street, suicidal, and are violent with their families…are atheists?

That’s exactly right and certain educators and professors should hang their collective heads in shame because we have lost 2 or 3 generations of Catholics to a dumbed down, wishy washy universalist nonsense posing as Catholicism.

As i said before, the situation appears to be changing now thanks be to God but it doesn’t help the former Catholics who were largely tricked out of their faith.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.