People offering their own intention with the priest's inteniton

Hi , I just watched a Homily by Father Wade Menzes CFM. and he was saying that the faithful need to come to mass with there own intention in addition to the priest’s primary stipend intention. When our the people supposed to mention there intention ? Is it during the offertory do we silently pray it to god the, or in the silence after communion, or during the prayers of the faithful when the reader says and the intentions we hold in the silence of our hearts we pray to the lord …
Please help me , I am still learning
Thanks
Taylor

Yes! All of those are possibilities. However, I suggest after Communion that you pray a prayer of thanksgiving to God for letting you receive Him. :thumbsup:

Thanks, I would love to thank god for being able to receive him, but i cant yet, so i do a spritual communion, i cant wait till rcia starts :smiley:

Excellent question.
During the “mingling” (when the deacon or altar server [or priest if there are neither] pours the water into the unconsecrated wine), that is symbolic our intentions (water) being poured into Christ’s sacrifice (wine) which will become his blood (our redemption, as alluded to in Exodus 12:23). The Eucharist is Christ’s same gift and sacrifice of his entire self, body, blood, soul, and divinity, to us. So when we partake of the Eucharist, we are giving our whole self, body, blood, and soul, back to him in faith (1 Corinthians 11:26, Deuteronomy 16: 17).

Every man shall give as he is able, according to the blessing of the Lord your God which He has given you. Deuteronomy 16: 17

From Eucharistic Prayer I (The Roman Canon)

Remember, Lord, your servantsN. and N. and all gathered here, whose faith and devotion are known to you. For them, we offer you this sacrifice of praise or they offer it for themselves and all who are dear to them, for the redemption of their souls, in hope of health and well-being, and paying their homage to you, the eternal God, living and true.

Remember also, Lord, your servants N. and N., who have gone before us with the sign of faithand rest in the sleep of peace. Grant them, O Lord, we pray,and all who sleep in Christ, a place of refreshment, light, and peace. (Through Christ our Lord. Amen.)

To us, also, your servants, who, though sinners, hope in your abundant mercies, graciously grant some share and fellowshipwith your holy Apostles and Martyrs: with John the Baptist, Stephen, Matthias, Barnabas, (Ignatius, Alexander, Marcellinus, Peter, Felicity, Perpetua, Agatha, Lucy, Agnes, Cecilia, Anastasia) and all your Saints: admit us, we beseech you, into their company, not weighing our merits, but granting us your pardon, through Christ our Lord.

Through whom you continue to make all these good things, O Lord; you sanctify them, fill them with life, bless them, andbestow them upon us.

Source: old.usccb.org/romanmissal/samples-priest-prayer1.shtml/

And also, the beauty of the Eucharist is that our prayer intentions are purified in the blood of Jesus. Therefore he will give us, what we truly need.

The same with the Rosary: Mary purifies our prayer intentions by bringing them to Jesus with her intercession. We will then always receive what we truly need, not what we think is best.

I bring my intention most of the time during the prayers of the faithful, definitely before receiving Jesus into my stomach.

I have always been taught ...during the** intercessions in the Universal Prayer and again in the Eucharistic Prayer...conclusion*...which is the Christ in the person of the priest is offering himself on the Cross to the Father...especially in the conclusion with **the Great Doxology..."through Him...with Him... and in Him...".* ...during this moment it is not verbal but contained within our "self"...Totus Tuos...as we offer our entire person-self with Christ to the Father...all our goodness and all our "baggage/burdens"...all sanctified in the Blood and Water from Christ's side on the Cross.

Remember the Body and Blood of Christ are consecrated separately which is the representation of his suffering and death on the Cross at Calvary...just before Communion...during the Agnus Dei...the priest breaks the host and drops a small part of it into the Chalice of Blood...signifying the reunited Body and Blood of Christ...The Risen and Glorified Christ...the Person we receive in Holy Communion.

Pax Christi

The Universal Prayer

1. In the Universal Prayer or Prayer of the Faithful, the people respond in some sense to the Word of God which they have received in faith and, exercising the office of their baptismal Priesthood, offer prayers to God for the salvation of all. It is desirable that there usually be such a form of prayer in Masses celebrated with the people, so that petitions may be offered for holy Church, for those who govern with authority over us, for those weighed down by various needs, for all humanity, and for the salvation of the whole world.[66]

2. The series of intentions is usually to be:

a) for the needs of the Church;

b) for public authorities and the salvation of the whole world;

c) for those burdened by any kind of difficulty;

d) for the local community.

Nevertheless, in any particular celebration, such as a Confirmation, a Marriage, or at a Funeral, the series of intentions may be concerned more closely with the particular occasion.

The Eucharistic Prayer
78. Now the center and high point of the entire celebration begins, namely, the Eucharistic Prayer itself, that is, the prayer of thanksgiving and sanctification. The Priest calls upon the people to lift up their hearts towards the Lord in prayer and thanksgiving; he associates the people with himself in the
Prayer that he addresses in the name of the entire community to God the Father through Jesus Christ in the Holy Spirit. Furthermore, the meaning of this Prayer is that the whole congregation of the faithful joins with Christ in confessing the great deeds of God and in the offering of Sacrifice.** The Eucharistic Prayer requires that everybody listens to it with reverence and in silence.

1. The main elements of which the Eucharistic Prayer consists may be distinguished from one another in this way:

g) The intercessions, by which expression is given to the fact that the Eucharist is celebrated in communion with the whole Church, of both heaven and of earth, and that the oblation is made for her and for all her members, living and dead, who are called to participate in the redemption and salvation purchased by the Body and Blood of Christ.

h) The concluding doxology, by which the glorification of God is expressed and which is affirmed and concluded by the people’s acclamation Amen.

usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/roman-missal/general-instruction-of-the-roman-missal/girm-chapter-2.cfm

I would say on the way to the Mass. You go to the Mass with these intentions in your mind. I dont think you have to “wait” that long.

Example: sometimes we go the 7th day mass for someone who died. We even at home we are preparing ourselves for that, wearing the appropriate clothes and so on. God watches and sees it.

It was the custom in my small parish for the congregation to verbally add their own petitions to the Prayers of the Faithful. This is impractical in larger parishes. The Prayer of the Faithful generally includes a period of silence for adding personal petitions.

Welcome on your journey! I think others have given you plenty of answers. I just want to make one additional note that you may be unaware of. Please always capitalize the g. God. He is good. :slight_smile:

Sometimes my confessor will give me the penance of " offer this Mass for xyz". I always try to do that prior to Mass starting while I am kneeling in prayer ( and before I forget). Never realized there were other times it could be done…

There are two specific points in the Mass where offerings can be made. The first, as others have said, is at the Offertory prayers, where the priest holds up the bread and chalice. At this point, pray to put yourself and all of your fears, your worries, your attachments, your joys, and most importantly, your will, onto the paten and into the chalice and offer them to God in union with the sacrifice of His son during the Mass. Empty yourself to God and give Him everything, so that when you receive the Eucharist, you can be filled with His love. You then ask for an intention. For example, I say this prayer during the offertory as I use my imagination to place all of myself into the offering of the Mass:

The Sucipe (by St. Ignatius of Loyola)- Take Lord, and receive all my liberty, my memory, my understanding, and my entire will, all that I have and possess. Thou hast given all to me. To Thee, O lord, I return it. All is Thine, dispose of it wholly according to Thy will. Give me Thy love and thy grace, for this is enough for me.

The intention - Lord, I offer this Mass, as I offer all of the Masses in which I assist, for the sanctification of priests, especially my parish priests. [If I have an additional intention: I also offer this for the conversion of souls, etc.]

It was recommended to me by a priest to make a general intention at some point that all Masses attended would always have an intention, that way if you forget to make an intention at just the right moment, you still have an offering to give to God for every Mass. My general intention is for the sanctification of priests and strength for the holy mother Church.

(Parenthetical sidenote: A general intention can be made for many devotions. For example, I've made a general intention that I offer every rosary I say, in addition to any specific intentions I may have, for the conversion of the soul of one particular person. I've also made a general intention that all of the prayers in the Divine Office I pray are offered for an increase to vocations for priests and religious, especially to increase the vocations to the Carmelite order. In addition, when I say my morning offering, in addition to offering the day for the conversion of souls, in reparation for sin, and for the intentions of my friends and associates, I offer the day for the sanctification of priests. My priest says that this practice of general intentions is how he continues to pray for people that he hasn't even seen or thought about in years - when people ask him to pray for them, he adds a general intention to one of his devotional prayers, so that their intentions will stay in his prayers.)

The second place that an intention can be made is when receiving communion. I always have the same intention prayer, which I discovered in a devotional book about the Sacred Heart: My dearest Lord Jesus, I now receive this communion for love of Thee, in atonement for all of the coldness and all of the sin that thou has ever received in the sacrament of your love.

Here's a couple of homilies that help describe the offertory devotion further:
[LIST]
*]Fixing Your Intentions at the Offertory
*]How To Make The Most of Holy Communion
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.